Lutefisk God broken?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Daiug, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Daiug

Daiug Member

Ok. No idea now if it's a bug or i'm REALLY unlucky.

As far i played, i need from 50 to 100 lutefisk to get an item.

With the 1.05 patch i've placed more than 200 lutefisk on them and it still doesn't give me anything :v

2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I'm wondering if it's merely a change in the lutefisk formula, or is it a bug, because I've donated over 100 so far (in the previous version, that just about guaranteed an artifact). They did change how the lutefisk cube operates so that stacks are converted one for one, so I'm wondering if this is just part of the documented 'lutefisk balancing'.

3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Ok, I just got an artifact after handing in only a few more lutefisk -- so it looks to me like this is not a bug, just a change in the formula. 100 or so used to be the 'optimal' number of lutefisk to turn in -- I'm wondering what it is now.

4. Daiug

Daiug Member

Yeah i was wondering the same. With 223 lutefisk i got a wooden sword with only a +1fire damage.

After that with 18 i got a decent ring with +1melee and +1Trap Radius Sight.

Now i'm again at 120+ and it still doesn't give me anything :V

5. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Prior to the previous build: the odds of getting Lutefisk rewards from the Lutefisk god where n/100 where n is the # of lutefisk donated. However, when you process a stack, n is divided by 5. (so you put in 15 softballs, you get 3 Lutefisk.)

People would split the stacks individually and scam Lutefisk that way, and would then blame us for making their play experience suck. :)

In the current build: we got rid of that. One item == 1 Lutefisk. Now, however, the odds of getting a reward is n/500 where n is the # of Lutefisk donated, and the quality factors have been scaled by 5 as well.

I'm not confident we have the right numbers yet. There will likely be a patch that is purely balance in our near future.

Exile likes this.
  6. hafu78

hafu78 Member

i would rather throw 500 softballs and cheap copper bolts into that cube at once then 100 of them individually.

7. Daiug

Daiug Member

Ah. :V

Thanks for the clarification

8. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

I'm sure the nutritional value of one (1) unit of lutefisk is only marginally superior to that of one (1) softball.

9. That sounds like a good middle ground to me Nicholas. I was a stack splitter, and after like floor 3 or 4 I'd have 10 stacks of 50 lutefisk a piece to throw at shrines, so I almost never picked up anything off the floor past those levels, unless it was an artifact to mess with.

10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

That all makes sense -- I figured it was something like that. I was someone who only occasionally split stacks (usually I just lived with the division). I was more likely to split the lutefisk into stacks of 100. I don't yet have an opinion about what the 'right' number is, but I'm sure I'll have a better feel for it after a few games.

11. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

"Confessions of a reformed Stack Splitter": a new novel coming from Gaslamp Games in 2011.

Exile likes this.
  12. Warskull

Warskull Member

I would say with this system about 10-20% of my lutefisk comes from unstackable items. Maybe about 200-300 lutefisk per floor if I am aggressive about dropping bolts in there. You pretty much have to drop all ranged item stacks in there to get those numbers though.

13. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Yes, I know, warskull, which makes this kind of silly.

Is it just me, or does this seem like overkill?
    500 lutefisk for an item that's rarely that useful?
    I don't know, I'd prefer it if it was dropped to 200, and given better powers.

14. TheDiscordian

TheDiscordian Member

It seems like the easiest solution to the lutefisk problem would be to have the number of 'fisk received be determined by the purchase or sell price of the object or stack of objects placed in the cube. Items or stacks that don't meet a minimum value could be rejected. Cheap items would give only one 'fisk while more expensive items, such as artifacts, would give several.

15. 123stw

123stw Member

Lol I never touched lutefisk anymore since the patch. I still kept the box though for a convenient garbage can.

And since I beaten the game twice already after 1.05 official release, you know the Lutefisk God have gotten many hours of neglect. Then again, I haven't done a single Inconsequencia Quest either.

16. iviv

iviv Member

Nicholas, as there are now 500 lutefisk needed for the maximum chance, I assume the item enchantments available have also scaled relatively? So instead of getting +1 enchantment for every 25 lutefisk, its now one for every 125 lutefisk?

17. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I popped 500 in yesterday and I got a good item out. Unfortunately, it was a spear, and I'm using swords. *shrug*

18. kuhchung

kuhchung Member

Stop whining, people

19. Marak

Marak Member

I kind of agree though... it's about 300 Lutefisk on average to get something. I was a vampire and throwing all my food in the Cube and I think I got 2 Lutefisk God rewards in an entire playthrough. There was absolutely no way I was every going to "break" every statue I came across, there's not enough Lutefisk to go around. Personally I'd say somewhere between where it was in 1.0.3 and now would be fair - say 1:250 or 1:300 instead of 1:100 and 1:500?

20. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

This needs a mean solution. 300 lutefisks I say.