Looking for dedicated alpha testers for Not All That Secret Project

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Essence, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I8RC targetemptyflor is the one that picks a random nearby square if it fails.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Essence

One moar upload because I finally realized that the original Throwing/Crossbows are 5 levels, not 6, and rebuilt them accordingly (by which I mean I kept all the stats and just jammed the 2 empty levels together.)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Loren

Loren Member

Misspelled downtime:
    Code:
    <spell name="Long Style" type="self" noanimation="1" wntime="1" icon="skills/warrior/staff-fighting3_32.png">

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Essence

How the fuck does crap like that happen?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Essence

OK, so this:

Code:
    <spell name="Mind Your Manners!" type="targetmonster" attack="1" >
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/null" frames="1" firstframe="0" framerate="100" centerEffect="0"/>
    <effect type="damage" crushing="1" crushingF="1" secondaryScale="2"/>
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Unresistable Knock"/>
    </spell>

<spell name="Made of Fail" type="self" noanimation="1">
    <effect type="damage" crushing="4" crushingF="1" secondaryScale="10"/>
    </spell>

<spell name="Billy Quan Maneuver" downtime="4" type="template" templateID="32" anchored="1" icon="skills/warrior/unarmed_art0_32.png" noanimation="1" >
    <effect type="playercharge" amount="3" dashHit="Mind Your Manners!" dashMiss="Made Of Fail" interruptable="1"/>
    </spell> 
    Works as long as there's a monster in the way -- but if there isn't, it just keeps running along at 3 squares per round until it hits something. Oh, and it never actually casts the hit spell or the miss spell -- it just runs forward and attacks normally.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Essence

Let's assume we have to entirely replace BQM. Anyone have any sweet ideas?

I probably need sleep, but my best call right now is "Mind over Body" and give the player a bunch of exotic resists to show off his new mental mastery of his physical form. Like <resistbuff acidic="1" asphyxiative="2" hyperborean="1" putrefying="1" toxic="2" transmutative="1"/> or something.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I didn't thought of it as something which needed more balance. Let's try this, anyway.
    This
    doesn't work?
    Also, I like those resistances, but the knockback is reduced to the first stance, and no more.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I don't know about you, but in my case it usually happens when I'm too tired to notice that the keyboard keys failed to trigger whatever I meant it to.
    Thus, get some sleep. And then some more sleep. And then get back to coding.

Don't know, haven't checked. It wouldn't be complicated (read: convoluted and nefarious) enough for me to try.

Either way, I'm pretty sure there is a way to make it work. But if the simple method doesn't work and the code isn't supposed to devour souls the way my code does, I'll just leave that thing be.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Essence

Brainstorm! Rather than lame-ass passive resists, let's give unarmed people a suite of interesting defensive procs.

Block: Heal HP as per Chumbawumba 20% of the time.
    Dodge: ??? (Has to be slightly weaker than the others because they have Dodge as a primary stat, so they'll be Dodging a lot.)
    Counter: <multibuff="2"> for zero rounds -- they basically double-counterattack. Maybe 50% of the time?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I just want to remind you that boosting counters in any serious ways will make the balance keel over and die a horrible death. Because there is no counter to the counter stat now, and stuff.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  11. Essence

So...swords level 6 is out, too, then?

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

For as long as you don't give more counters on counters, or make the chance low enough, it ought to be fine.

A minor boost to counters, or a medium one that doesn't scale with stats as much as normal attacks, as a proc is likely fine. It's the stuff that increases their effectiveness much that might be unbalanced.

Let's take the 50% chance to give you a second attack on counters. Honestly, that alone is high enough - in a build centred for counters, or anything that has Piracy (Swashbuckling, you know) in it, that is a 25~30% boost to combat power. Now, let's say that the chance was lower - 20%, perhaps. Add a minor debuff for the player when the proc triggers (-10 to counter for 1 turn, because your character is tired after parrying relentlessly without preparing for that) and it will still be worthwhile, but not as unbalanced.
    And with that, there might even be place for additional triggers that come on block or dodge.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Loren

Loren Member

Maybe lower the % for level 6 so its not as reliable. It takes a lot of effort to carve original poetry all of the time.

level 1 swords is all messed up:
    1. Its counterbuff does not have an entry in the SpellDB.
    2. the spell "Riposte" triggers itself, instead of "Reposte", as I think it is supposed to.
    3. "Reposte" isn't otherwise used, unless I am right on point 2.

14. Essence

Thanks, Loren. I'll fix all that.

Also, for unarmed, i'm not as worried about powerful counterbuffs because the two best sources of counter percentage -- Swords and Dual Wielding -- are both incompatible with Unarmed. Sure, you could go Unarmed/Piracy/Magical Law, but that's a hugely gimmicky build and I don't think I'm that worried about it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

What about an activated ability which has different effects for the different stance you have activate in the time?
    Maybe it can resurrect the old "two different knockbacks" idea for unarmed.
    Because I think too many procs for a single level are really too confusing, for a newbie.

16. Essence

Hmmm...you think so? They don't have any chance of going off simultaneously.

On the other hand, I really like the idea of giving both knockbacks based on stance, too...

Hmmm...

17. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

This is the point. No dragon ball-number of attacks, just the wanted one at the right moment.
    By the way, I've seen what you did here.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Essence

What I meant by "they can't go off simultaneously" was that "three different procs, one each for dodge/block/counter, can't go off at the same time, so I don't think it'll be that confusing for newbs."

However, it seems that Fate has turned against me on this one because I have no idea why this:

Code:
    SKILLDB
    <ability name="Punch, Kick: It's All In The Mind" icon="skills/warrior/unarmed_art0_64.png" skill="6" level="1">
    <description text="Your continued training pushes you onward to the edge of physical eliteness by training in mental eliteness. You can remain calm and focused in combat, allowing you to capitalize on successful defenses in ways no others can."/>
    <dodgeBuff percentage="75" name="Setup Dodge"/>
    <blockBuff percentage="50" name="Knockback Block"/>
    <counterBuff percentage="25" name="Double Counter"/>
    <secondarybuff id="6" amount="1"/> 
    <secondarybuff id="9" amount="1"/>
    <damagebuff piercing="1"/>
    <primarybuff id="0" amount="2"/>
    <primarybuff id="2" amount="2"/>
    <primarybuff id="3" amount="2"/>
    <primarybuff id="4" amount="2"/>
    </ability>

SPELLDB
    <spell name="Setup Dodge" type="self">
    <buff attacks="1" self="1" icon="skills/warrior/unarmed_art0_64.png" smallicon="skills/warrior/unarmed_art0_32.png">
    <secondarybuff id="9" amount="10"/>
    <secondarybuff id="4" amount="10"/>
    <secondarybuff id="2" amount="5"/>
    <desription text="Your dodge has left you in an excellent position to strike back."/>
    </buff>
    </spell>

<spell name="Double Counter" type="self">
    <buff attacks="2" self="1" icon="skills/warrior/unarmed_art0_64.png" smallicon="skills/warrior/unarmed_art0_32.png">
    <multibuff amount="2"/>
    </buff>
    </spell>

<spell name="Knockback Block" type="targetmonster">
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Unresistable Knock"/>
    <effect type="damage" crushing="1" crushingF=".1" secondaryScale="7"/>
     </spell>
    isn't triggering any of the three defensive buffs...at all. :(

Now I'm nervous...what do you mean?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

:D
    The avatar.
    :D

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Essence

New Files Uploaded[/URL]

The 2nd level of Unarmed now gives an ability that offers knockback -- if you have Stone Cold Stance on, it jumps you forward while you knock things back; if you have the (newly-named) Thousand Animal Fists Stance on, you stay where you are and just knock them backward.

That said, I'd really love some help in figuring out why Unresistable Knock is sometimes utterly failing, often without any "Resist" popups over the enemy. They just don't go anywhere -- which should be impossible. Any ideas?

I moved the defensive procs up to the final level, not because I want them to actually be there, but because they don't work and I want to figure out how to make them work.