Lockpick Use settings (and related possibilities)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bohandas, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I like to save my lockpicks for treasure chests, (especially in wizardlands and Diggle Hell since you don't have much chance to go back to those doors anyway), but at the moment this means that I need to take them out of my inventory every time I come to a door. It would be really nice if there were a setting in the menu to disable the use of lockpicks on doors (and vice versa to disable their use on chests for people who may want to save them for doors; or to temporarily disable them entirely in case someone is in a Wizardland of a lower level than they are at and don't want to waste their lockpicks on low level treasure).

Alternately, instead of disabling the use of picks for a given purpose entirely, it could merely disable their automatic use, and bring up a dialog box similar to the one you get when you try to open a locked chest with no pick, only this new dialog box would have three options: 'Pick It', 'Bash It', or 'Nevermind'

A third possibility, which I think is most likely the best would be for you to bash a door (or bring up the chest smashing dialog box) instead of picking the lock if you Shift-Click the door instead of regular clicking it.

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I have to say I like the third possibility.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. phasmy

phasmy Member

Also lockpicking in wizardlands at the moment offers 0 extra exp. Not sure if that is intentional or not.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

That third option is golden

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  5. sam12six

sam12six Member

I don't know, sometimes it takes me several kicks to open a door and I think it would quickly become an incredible pain to be forced to respond to a dialogue box six times in a row just to get a door open. If they made how you use picks an option setting it would be less of a hassle.

That said, I personally don't like picks at all in DOD. I'd be happy if they did away with picks altogether and just made the survival rate of the contents of bashed chests much higher.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Ah, you mean my second suggestion. If you read it closely you'll see that part of the suggestion was to also be able to turn the dialog boxes off and have things work the way that they do now.

And anyway, my third suggestion, the bolded one about shift-clicking to not use a pick, is the one that I'm really trying to push.

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  7. sam12six

sam12six Member

I get what you're saying. I'm just saying that the dialogue box option would get old very fast. As for shift-clicking, it might be convenient, but I don't know if the added convenience versus just keeping the picks on the belt and "holding" them while you open locked doors is worth the trouble to code (of course, I don't know just how much trouble it would be either).

I know the devs have said they want to spend the majority of their time on the new game so I think minor, minor, minor tweaks like this should take a back seat to major improvements/fixes (for example: I'd love to see expanded recipes (and maybe even a cooking skill and crafting tool (though that'll probably bring me hate from the people who already think the backpack and infinite storage room accessible every 30 steps is insufficient for existing crafting items).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Thorvald

Thorvald Member

+1 for shift or alt click to bash.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Zelnick

Zelnick Member

I had the same idea with the lockpicks. it's so annoying, if you ran out of them, and must put the picks to the ground, before you open a door, because you want spare them for kicky chests.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. MusingOoze

MusingOoze Member

While I like the third option I also have a fourth:

I'd like to be able to set a threshold of door bashing, to wit, if my actual number of lockpicks is below some preordained but negotiable number of possible lockpicks then when I attempt to open a door BASH IT!

OmniaNigrum and Bohandas like this.
  11. Wolg

Wolg Member

...The probability of any Dredmor change being made decreases considerably if it involves altering the UI view.

OmniaNigrum likes this.