[List] In-Jokes, Third-Party References, etc.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by LonePaladin, Sep 22, 2011.

1. madcow

madcow Member

I'm pretty sure the offspring are referencing the movie in their song.

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Windup Doubleplus Crossbow - Perhaps a reference to the Newspeak in 1984? (doubleplusgood, etc)

"Would you kindly go away" banter - Bioshock?

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Very likely.

4. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Yes, I am. Why does nothing love me?

Also Pedantic Diggle sounds like a new DoD monster. :)

Marak likes this.
  5. Billick

Billick Member

The achievement "You Used All the Glue on Purpose" is a reference to A Christmas Story.

6. Marak

Marak Member

The Iron Man enemy on Floor 14 (ish).

The tooltip reads, "He was turned to iron in a great thaumoentropic field. Now he wreaks vengeance on the all the people."

From the Black Sabbath song, Iron Man, we have, "He was turned to steel / in the great magnetic field" and then later, "Vengeance from the grave / kills the people he once saved"

The Bolt Eruptor (it's sure that you're sure it's the only way to be really sure) and Diggle Plague (Run away and blast it with fireballs: it's the only way to be sure) reference Ripley's classic line in Aliens.

Edit: Cosbian Horror. The particularly cheerful "wizard" being, of course, Bill Cosby.

SkyMuffin likes this.
  7. DragonDai

DragonDai Member

Found a Binding of Issac reference in a hidden room...wasn't much of a "reference" as more a down right big sign saying "yeah, we played that game and thought it would be awesome to directly mention it" sort of thing, but totally awesome, especially since BoI is another amazing indie game.

8. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

I think that's a mod room.

9. DragonDai

DragonDai Member

entirely possible...I couldn't help browsing the workshop just a bit ago and made a new dood to play around with some of the mods...

10. The minecraft meme itself is actually a reference to the old trope of mobsters extorting "protection" payments with the line "that's a very nice ____ you have. It'd be a shame if something happened to it." Usually while doing something implying that they're fully capable of causing that something to happen.
    That said, though, there's an explicit reference to minecraft that I only just noticed. Ingoteer (level 2 smithing) is described as "the art of mining cubes then crafting them into useful shapes", which is not only minecraft's gameplay in a nutshell - particularly the reference to cubes - but actually contains the game's name - mining, then crafting.

Kazeto and Marak like this.
  11. Aegho

Aegho Member

Example:

Predates minecraft by a loooooooooong time.

wRAR and Marak like this.
  12. Createx

Createx Member

Holy Hand Grenade is from Monty Python (no, not Worms, they got it from there as well I guess).
    Diamond has A Girl's best Friend, which comes from the Marylin Monroe song "Diamonds are a girl's best friend".

Just looking through my inventory, perhaps I can find more later on :)

13. Erfeo

Erfeo Member

Let's see, I haven't seen these pass yet:

Leather Boots - Try to die with these on.
    Is probably a reference to the Iron Maiden song

Kite Shield - This would look great on a tapestry, though you suspect that it wouldn't fly very well.
    I think this is a reference to the Bayeux Tapestry, which depicts people wearing shields like this.

14. Aegho

Aegho Member

As much as I like iron maiden, the song references an idiom that has its roots way back in the 17th century. (The original meaning was to be hanged, later it added the meanings of dying on duty, and then dying in a gunfight).

Kazeto and Marak like this.
  15. Erfeo

Erfeo Member

I figured that, but I can't remember the last time I saw it used in any other context than that song. Isn't it more likely it is a pop culture reference (like most of this thread), rather then a dated idiom? I'm not an English native speaker though, so it could very well be more commonly used then I think.

16. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Being a huge nerd, I assure you that it is quite entirely referring to the dated idiom.

(Though be aware that I am not, however, above putting references to Iron Maiden songs into the game.)

Exile, SkyMuffin, Marak and 1 other person like this.
  17. Has anyone mentioned the Hoplon? It has a lambda symbol on it, and it's description says that "You'd have half the life expectancy if you didn't use this lovely shield."

18. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

I'm sorry, but I wanted to hurt you when I saw this. "I'm Not Left Handed" originates with a swordfight between Inigo Montoya and The Dread Pirate Roberts from The Princess Bride.

Also, The Humanoid Typhoon is the rather dubious moniker given to Vash The Stampede from the anime Trigun. He's noted to be extremely skilled with firearms, hence why he was the achievement for Deadshot.

I'm not listing anything new, because I have been playing with a ton of mods, can't tell you what's modded and what's not.

Marak and DavidB1111 like this.
  19. Warlock

Warlock Member

Existential damage icon = a reference to the Thinker by Rodin?
    Damage description = straight up translation of the latin Cogito, ergo sum, if I got it correct.

20. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

I always looked at it as two clasped hands. Mine eyes have been opened.