[List] In-Jokes, Third-Party References, etc.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by LonePaladin, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

This is actually NOT the reference from whence the Wizard's Sleeve came! Hint: anyone watch Top Gear UK?

2. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

^
    The Top Gear christmas presents bit?
    (If so they were clearly using in the slang sense, especially as the next item they do is a pork sword ;D)

3. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Well, okay... but indirectly!

4. icantsave

icantsave Member

I am pretty sure that the Honey Badger Don't Care achievement comes from this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

This is one of my all-time favorite videos now thanks to Randall. If it is based on this, maybe the achievement
    should really be for killing x things in an row without making any attempt to heal or defend yourself, including multiple bosses (cobras?). I can see how the thaumites work for it though. "Nothing can stop the Honey Badger when it's hungry..."

Honey Badger don't care, he just takes what he wants. This video is full of swearing btw, so be careful at work.

5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Okay, the Sephiroth line was completely Total Biscut's fault. And I never saw Mad Max.

Also, no, no, no, there was no rusty helmet in Doom. Why are people thinking it's from Doom?
    Quake had rusty helmet on your guy. Doom had no helmet on your head.
    Gah. No one likes Quake, it seems. :(
    The Rocket Launcher reference + the rusty helmet + the Dimensional axe, etc, all are from Quake.

6. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

[​IMG]

That is not to say that you are wrong about it being a Quake reference, but the Doom guy has a helmet. I cannot attest to the colors being correct, since I'm color blind. *shrug*

7. kuhchung

kuhchung Member

And the achievement is Realms of the Id right? This is pretty damning evidence.

8. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Quake was id software too, though.

9. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

But that helmet in the pic isn't even close to the helmet in Dungeons of Dremdor. The helmet is also next to the weapon from Quake in that one area.
    Logically, that means it's all about Quake.
    So, Rusty Helmet is from Quake. Mostly because the Doom helmet was never in the game. :) Even the Armor bonuses weren't that rusty looking.

Please don't doubt my Quake memories. I've only played it since 1997.

10. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

To sorta clear this up: Both games are by id, we're fans of both games and id, we reference both games in different places throughout Dredmor.

Feel free to continue arguing about the particulars but I'm interested in seeing if you can dig out so many more references. I mean heck, the TV tropes list barely scratches the surface!

Exile likes this.
  11. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

AHHH! The Admin is posting! We're all going to die! Wait, no, we're not. My bad.
    :)
    I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything.

12. kuhchung

kuhchung Member

Oh. I don't know a damn thing about FPSes, as I have clearly demonstrated

13. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Kinda figured that would be the case.

How daunting. o_o

14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Being an old-timer, I first thought "Realms of the Id" was a reference to "Forbidden Planet" (least that was the first thought that popped into my brain). But I'm sure that I'm wrong, since the actual quote from the movie is "Monsters from the Id".

15. moof

moof Member

The golden axe is from the arcade game "golden axe". The phrase "your life force is running out", is from another old arcade game named Gauntlet.

16. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I think this was mentioned already (perhaps in another thread?), but "you n'wah" is from Morrowind. Just started playing it again last night. Maybe I'll actually stick with it this time, and finish it. I usually get bored VERY quickly, though.

Haldurson likes this.
  17. Marak

Marak Member

Brown Eyebrows needs food, badly!

In the Burglary Tree, "Move in a Mysterious Way" is a reference to the U2 song, "She Moves in Mysterious Ways". The Chorus goes, "It's alright, it's alright, alright/she moves in mysterious ways". The first line of the description reads, "It's all right, you move in a mysterious way."

Also in Burglary, "Five-finger discount" is a way to refer to stealing/shoplifting without, you know, coming right out and saying it.

"Walk it off" in Master of Arms is a two-parter. The description tells us, "It's only a flesh wound, just walk it off." "It's only a flesh wound" comes directly from the Black Knight scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, while "Walk it off" itself is a phrase, generally used in sports or competition, to tell a dubiously injured player to get his or her ass back out on the playing field. "You're fine, just walk it off!"

In that vein, "It only makes you stronger" comes from the old adage "That which does not kill you only makes you stronger," and fits in with this Skill Tree's theme of "quit whining, you'll be fine."

Unliving Wall in Golemancy has a couple references to Edgar Allen Poe's short story, The Cask of Amontillado. In it, Montressor traps Fortunado in an underground cellar, chains him to a wall within a small niche there, and then builds a brick wall that closes up the niche, and departs. The description for Unliving Wall reads, in part, "First concocted by the Mad Architect Montresor, this spell grows a wall from the floor ..."

Speaking of that, Tesla's Bolt/Wand/Mine and mentions of "the Wizard Tesla" are all references to the famed scientist and arch-nemesis of Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, whose most well-known invention is the Tesla Coil.

Zombyfycation has "Reduce, re-use, recycle:" in the description. This is the official slogan of government-run recycling programs in the USA.

Any Skill or item that refers to summoning something from the Elemental Plane of *insert thing here* - and there are many - are all homages to 1st Edition Dungeons and Dragons, wherein Gary Gygax created many, many spells which dealt with summoning things from the various Elemental Planes. (My favorite? Gog's Tactical Pyre, which summons Walls of Fire from the Elemental Plane of Walls of Fire.)

The description of "Pyrokineses" reads "You're a firestarter, a terrific firestarter." Some research (read: Google search) tells me that these are lyrics from a Prodigy song with the appropriate title of "Firestarter".

Okay, hands getting tired. That's all I got for now.

DavidB1111 likes this.
  18. wirdal

wirdal Member

Saw this, thought of south park

19. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I've watched like, two episodes of South Park, so I'm lost. ;)

20. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Me too.
    That said, Marak, that's an impressive list.
    To be honest, I knew about 95% of your list though. :)