[List] In-Jokes, Third-Party References, etc.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by LonePaladin, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Megaron

Megaron Member

False. The only two moves that have "sonic" in their names are Supersonic, which is an innaccurate move which confuses the opponent, and SonicBoom, which is a move that always deals exactly 20 HP. You must be thinking of Screech or Metal Sound, both of which have that effect, although only on one enemy.

2. CorusMaximus

CorusMaximus Member

There are a lot of Dominions 3 references in the game.

Anything that refers to Ulm is a Dominions 3 reference. The Ulmish nation has masterful smiths but really hates magic. They wear black steel plate mail ( exactly like what appears in DoD in later levels).
    The flavor text of level 6 Smithing "What hath these hands wrought? Why, crafts which even the Forge-Lord of Ulm covets."

Also, Dom 3 is great, I highly suggest it.

dbaumgart likes this.
  3. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Screech or Metal Sound, depending on the specific defense stat.

You might be thinking of Sonicboom, which always deals exactly 30 damage regardless of stats.

4. Jace

Jace Member

I feel like Siegfried is a shout out to the popular roguelike Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, actually the whole miniboss system. One particularly nasty minibosse that could be spawned on the first level was siegfried, a scythe-wielding wizard who was the #1 cause of new character deaths :( There's even the joke that says he's in diggle-form, which would explain his lack of invisibility spells and magic missiles!

SkyMuffin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  5. FelixDrake

FelixDrake Member

This would be another of those references that started with Lovecraft (as many elder Gods do) and has mutated through references of references.

6. FelixDrake

FelixDrake Member

"The princess bride" started this, near as I can tell, but it has been referenced often.

wRAR likes this.
  7. FelixDrake

FelixDrake Member

The form of it is also, I believe, a reference to "getting Lei'd", which is to get a Lei (the flowery garland you wear around your neck).

8. FelixDrake

FelixDrake Member

It may additionally reference numerous goths who carry around a 'necronomicon' (for the lovecraft types) or a 'book of NOD' (for the vamp types and VLARPers), both of which tend to be little, black, and yes, books.

9. FelixDrake

FelixDrake Member

I have one more thing to say:
    The table listed as the "random monster table"
    For those of us who have been tabletop players since early D&D, this has special meaning, and I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I saw it along with it's description.

10. Kobold

Kobold Member

As I don't know how to provide links in my posts:
    The item "The Log", is a reference to the series "Twin Peaks".

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

There's a named Treant called Banana the Hutt, this is a double reference. Firstly, treants can drop fruit and bananas are a fruit. Secondly, its name and text are references to Jabba the Hutt from the Star Wars universe. (and, if one feels like going so far, Pizza the Hutt from Spaceballs due to the food reference).

Two variations of "the Baron" exist. Firstly, Samedi is the French (as Gaslamp are a Canadian studio, some grasp of French is arguably a given) word for Sunday, and Mercredi is the French for Wednesday. This is further referenced in the text for the Mercredi, in which it's stated you're "about halfway through the Barons", obviously referring to Mercredi - or Wednesday - being the 'middle' of the working week, and depending on whether you start your week on Sundays or Mondays, it's either the 4th or 3rd day of the week, the former being the middle and the latter being the day before.

I wonder if the flavour text of the Tinkerer's Stove is a reference to the second Broken Sword game? At one point you have to infiltrate a warehouse and this involves dealing with an obnoxious guard who eats nothing but beans he cooks on the stove in his guardhouse. It may just be a co-incidence, however.

An enemy called the Spelling Bee is a reference, of course, to the spelling competitions held between children. Not entirely sure if they're state-wide or whatever, but I do know they happen.

OmniaNigrum, Jace and Kazeto like this.
  12. Vinculi

Vinculi Member

Dunno if its come up but I only just got the joke that the "The Prince" mushroom is a Machiavelli reference...Can't believe it took me so long.

SkyMuffin likes this.
  13. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

The "Strange Moods" mentioned in the Conflagratory Resistance tooltip are a reference to Dwarf Fortress. In DF dwarves will occasionally fall into so-called 'Strange Moods' which ultimately end with the dwarf in question either producing a powerful artifact or, if they can't find the stuff they need, going completely insane.

And more recently, Vlad Digula (who is, of course, a reference to Vlad Dracula)

There's actually two rather influential books. Faust and Doctor Faustus, both of which were based on an earlier legendary figure

Kazeto likes this.
  14. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

IIRC Siegfried, or rather the legendary hero Sigurd whom he is based on, could also talk to birds due drinking dragon blood. That fits with the diggle theme.

Kazeto likes this.
  15. Zalminen

Zalminen Member

Well, close. Samedi actually means Saturday in French, Sunday is dimanche.

And Baron Samedi is something like a master of the dead in Haitian Voodoo.

Bohandas likes this.
  16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

So much for my 'A' in French, then. Mind you, that was six years ago.

17. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

The talk of "Unstable Resonance Cascades" in the tootltip for Haywire is a reference to a line in Half-Life 1

The phrase "You collect molds, spores, and fungus" in the description of the Mushroom Farmer level of Fungal Arts is a reference to a scene from Ghostbusters where Dr.Egon Spangler is discussing hobbies with the company receptionist.

18. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Zorkmids were the currency from Zork

Essence likes this.
  19. FelixDrake

FelixDrake Member

I have no doubt it is, that being the techie near consensus on Vista. There is also a Linux build called "element OS", arguably designed to help turn your multimedia PC into a very expensive PVR, commonly referred to as "elements". This may or may not be an additional reference.

20. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

The description for the katana: "All the best stuff is made in Japan", is a line from Back to the Future