Lipstick on a pig

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Mikel, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

When I build my metal works, I find myself unwilling to waste glass on windows for that workshop, instead opting for the lower class equivalents. Should décor that crosses class boundaries be as effective as those that are 'proper' for the given building, or should they create penalties? I realize that there is no check in place to match décor quality to the building, and they all work... my question is how folks feel that things SHOULD work...

2. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Eh, it's a bit odd, since you'd want to check a whole bunch of things, presumably middle-class beds in lower-class bunkhouses is.... would the lower-class be happier than with cots in a bunkhouse? But I guess middle class are less happy than middle-class bed in middle-class house.

A number of workshops are odd in that they "recommend" the very basic (1 log) door. But I usually like the 1plank (middle-class) even for the starting workshops.

And then there's the upper-class (2 log) doors I love to put on my prestige Middle-Class Home of Hellish Pleasure.

3. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

I had never considered using different doors than those presented... you are a font of ideas.

4. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Was wondering this myself when building a naturalist office yesterday and finding I was opting to put lower class windows around the exterior as I had no easy access to sand to make glass, and needed a Naturalist to find a underground deposit closer to the colony first to build the recommended windows.

In an ideal world, I'd say there should definitely be penalties for 'under-classing' and even for improper role placement of modules. That said the current resource availability balance doesn't really allow for access to some materials that really should be much more accessible than they actually are... for example sand is harder to come by than iron/copper/zinc a lot of the time without extremely remote exploration along the beaches for surface nodes, which then has very long hauling downtimes and increased risk to colonists.

So until the resource availabilities needed very early on for some buildings is addressed, introducing the needed penalties for 'under-classing' wouldn't really work as a global rule in my eyes.... you'd essentially be punishing the player for a coded in-balance in the game they weren't responsible for.

Though a penalty for improper role placements of modules would be a nice rule to see introduced, for example adding a washing line of wet/dirty clothes to a carpentry should negate the quality working condition bonus it would usually add making it a purely cosmetic addition with no gain or loss at the very least.

On the more extreme end of it, non-roled decorative modules should introduce a negative quality hit as it's cluttering up a work environment with improper and potentially hazardous items... imagine working in a wood workshop and right over your powersaw and worktable was a long string washing line full of wet dripping clothes that someone uses to dry their washing?

Not exactly an ideal work environment and you'd not really think much of where you're working. :)

Also anyone else noticed the barbershop has a brick foundation but requires wood and stone to build?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  5. Wolg

Wolg Member

Memory is telling me the trade depot has a stone base but brick door stairs as well...

6. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Since the changes, if you drop a mine anywhere (like in the middle of your colony), it should have a high chance of giving you a 50-50 split of clay-sand now.

7. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

If only mines with multiple outputs worked without problem. ;)

8. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

I haven't had issues, did you detail your problems in bugs thread?