Ley Walker Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Embolus, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Embolus

Embolus Member

I'm not sure if we're allowed to do this yet (if not, I'm sorry and please delete this), but... here's a little mod I created to make the Ley Walker skill a bit more useful and interesting. The installation instructions are in the Readme.

Please be warned that installing this mod will render your existing saves unplayable until you uninstall it. Likewise, a game that was started with this mod will become unplayable if the mod is uninstalled.

Also remember to backup your files so you could revert the changes if you don't like them. However, if you didn't do that, a backup of the files I modified has been provided.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d95bk11fa8e1stp

Changes:

Linewalker: replaced with "Aethereal Missile", a weak but mana-efficient magical attack. Still provides +1 mana regeneration.

Conduit: replaced with "Contemplation", an ability that allows you to instantly replenish some mana every 80 turns. Still provides +1 mana regeneration, but no longer provides +3 to maximum mana.

Channeller: same passive ability, but provides +2 mana regeneration and +15 maximum mana (up from +1 mana regeneration and +10 maximum mana).

2. Incendax

Incendax Member

Sounds like a fascinating mod, but what does it have to do with Walking Ley lines? Or did you also change the icons and title of the skill?

3. Embolus

Embolus Member

I changed the icons, titles and descriptions, yes. Hopefully they will make sense. =P

4. Greg72

Greg72 Member

drastically imbalanced for a 3 point skill

5. Embolus

Embolus Member

Which part of it is imbalanced? Do you mean the buffs to Channeller? I actually think it's quite reasonable...

In case you don't know, the way mana regeneration works in DoD is a bit unintuitive. Each point in mana regeneration reduces the turns it takes to regenerate one mana by one turn.

So, at Going Rogue difficulty you normally regenerate one point of mana every 9 turns. With maximum Ley Walker (the old one), which provides three mana regeneration, you regenerate one point of mana every 6 turns.

All I really did then is increase the total mana regeneration by one and the maximum mana boost by 12 (which makes it the same as the total maximum mana boost of Magic Training). Consider: which one's worth more, regenerate your mana at not-quite double the speed, or having +5 magic power which increases the power of your spells and reduces their mana cost?

As for the added abilities, Aethereal Missile is really quite weak, it's primary purpose is to give mages who did not choose a spell tree with a level 1 attack spell (Fleshsmithing, Mathemagic, Psionics, Astrology) to at least have something to deal damage with. As for Contemplation, it really doesn't give that much mana and it's on a very long cooldown.

6. Incendax

Incendax Member

I think the function of Aethereal Missile is great. Mages needed some kind cheap magical finishing spell to chop off the last little bit of health without relying upon non-magical means like barbaric heathens. I also like the idea of what amounts to a single mana potion on a cooldown timer.

I only question the aesthetic. The way the abilities are flavored seems more like it would be thematically fitting Magical Training as opposed to Ley Walker. There is nothing really Ley or Walker about it.

7. Embolus

Embolus Member

I did initially try to fit them into Magic Training, but you couldn't have separate descriptions for the skill and the spell for some reason, which bothered my OCD. And besides, Magic Training is a decent skill, adding anything to it would be a bit too much; while Ley Walker in its current state is very underpowered.

I did try to make them more thematically fitting by describing the abilities as drawing off the powers of ley lines. =D

8. Embolus

Embolus Member

I've tweaked a few values a bit. Channeller now provides +15 maximum mana instead of +25 (though to my mind that really doesn't change much), and the damage type distribution of Aethereal Missile has been changed slightly: it should deal a bit more damage, at least against early enemies.

9. Augury

Augury Member

The download link is broken, any chance you could reupload it?

I really like Ley Walker simply because it allows me to not really worry as much if I run out of mana potions, and this buff to it will definitely make it more useful in builds.

10. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Ley Walker has been severely reworked in game since this mod was made; if you have 1.08, this mod is kind of pointless.

11. Augury

Augury Member

Oh, thanks for letting me know! I'm glad to hear that. Sorry for any inconvenience.