Let's Play. No, really, let's play!

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Essence, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Inspired by the "multiplayer DoD" thread, I've decided to start a game. I'm accepting signups from up to 4 people. Here's the deal:

I'm going to make a character. Because I'm an egotistical self-promoting savescumbag, I'm going to make the character with my mods in play (ESDoDI&II and Wild Magic), so don't sign up unless you have em and are willing to use em. I'm not planning on making a character with a wicked good build, either, so be warned. :)

I'm going to play for just a little bit, and then I'm going to post the save file here. The first player in line will take the save file, write a blurb about the condition of the character and what they theorize I might have done, and take over. They'll play as much as they feel like in a day, no less than 1 minute and no more than 1 hour of playtime, and post the file here.

The second player in line will take over. If you miss a day, your turn moves on to the next person regardless. Posting screenshots is highly encouraged but not necessary. Leaving your next player in a hellacious predicament or funny spot is also highly encouraged, but not necessary.

The game will begin shortly after I have 4 signups. So -- who wants in? (FCFS, of course.)

Wi§p likes this.
  2. I'm in, of course. And I'm down for mods, but keep in mind that Mac users will need a "pack" for the mods, and Linux users can't use RotDG / Interior Dredmorating.

I vote that we play with no pants, and never go up a floor, not even for stashed gear. And if someone dies, the next player rolls up the next character. (to prevent suiciding in order to roll up a character of your own choice)

3. Loren

Loren Member

Won't we all need to be running the same OS for this to work?

I'm up for this. Just be warned: all I seem capable of doing recently is walking into all the traps.

4. I'd be down too. It sounds like a lot of fun.

5. Essence

Sweet. We'll give it a few hours to see if a fourth person pops up, but I'm game to start this as-is. What OS are you all using?

I think for this first time, we'll go with no particular special rules -- I just want to see what y'all do. :)

Turn order will be post order, so we'll go

Me
    RHM
    Lohan ;P
    And SOHB.

Sound good?

6. I move that people stop calling me RHM; I sound like a disease. Just call me Meat! Or horse. Or Gumbeh (as per IRC/Elements)

Bunny, can we call you Bunny?

Ready and waiting for whatever we end up doing - I still think the "no going up a floor" rule would help us to make sure no one gets overwhelmed by anyone's clutter, as it limits us to only bringing one inventoryful of items any time we go down a floor. Backtracking can be a real pandora's box for the perfectionistic or indecisive players.

Wi§p likes this.
  7. Essence

Well, i can tell you that I'm sure as hell not wasting my turns backtracking for somene else's crap. They can do that if they want to. :)

8. Loren

Loren Member

I'm running DoD in wine, but if that somehow isn't compatible with a normal windows save, I could boot into the windows monster partition.

I move that we call Gumbeh/RHM/meat/horse marshmallow.

Wi§p likes this.
  9. Essence

I can do Meat. Meat is good for me.

If this works out as a fundamental concept, I'm totally down for doing it again with stranger and more restrictive rules, but for now let's just play and see what happens. :)

10. Ryvian

Ryvian Member

Sounds like a real hoot. Gonna follow this thread haha.

11. Well then get started. Carpe Dredmor!

12. Everyone should feel free to call me Bunny. Much more convenient than some of my other nick names. I'm running Win7. You won't have to worry about me leaving a stash because I always sell everything I don't use.

13. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

If you need a replacement for some reason, I'd love to give this a try. Regardless, I'll be watching this!

14. Essence

OK, I didn't play for very long because I took the time to create the character. But I filled up her inventory for you, and chose her first levelup. Meat, you get to do the first report -- but don't tell us what YOU did, just tell us what you think I did. As long as we're reporting on what we find rather than what we do, each person will get a bit of a surprise when they open the game in turn. :)

Attached Files:

15. Does not appear to work. I have Smack Heroine.sav in the same folder where my other .sav files are. Maybe the bitmap file is important when you're not a dev?

Then again... take a look at loadsave.dat in that folder. Open it in a text editor. That crap may be important... giev it (the relevant part) to me!

EDIT: Also, move me to the end of the list. I'm going to be busier today than I expected.

16. Essence

Alright, Loren, take this and paste it into your loadsave.dat file directly below the first number in said file. Then add 1 to that first number. Let's see if we can make this work. :) (For anyone curious, those numbers are the skillIDs of Smack Heroine's skills. The first number of loadsave.dat seems to be the total number of saved games in the file itself.)

17. Loren

Loren Member

<noob hat>
    Okay, not that I'm stalling for tie or anything; but when I try to load that save after correctly changing my loadsave.dat, my game instantly crashes on me. I tried it on windows with EsdodI&II, and wild magic.
    </noob hat>

18. How about you/we backup our documents/gaslamp games/dungeons of dredmor/ folder, and then completely replacing it with Essence's? I bet all the right files will refer to each other in the right ways then.

Also, when the devs want a bug report, they only seem to need the .save file - perhaps they can tell us how to make that work ourselves, or let us know that it requires Speshul Tools or something.

19. Essence

OH WAIT! You need the Bitmap part of the save, too! Without that, the game doesn't have a screenshot to show you when you click on the name of the save file. :D

Try this:

Attached Files:

20. Loren

Loren Member

The new save and bitmap still aren't working for me. Could someone else besides essence confirm it works for them? I don't want to investigate what's wrong unless I'm the only one affected.