LABELS! MUST LABEL EVERYTHING!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Fayd, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Fayd

Fayd Member

Ok, melodramatics aside, I think a really nice feature that would be nice to have is a simple way of seeing which skills are "warrior" skills, which are "Mage" skills, and which are "Rogue" skills. Yes, for some of them it is fairly obvious. For others, not so much. Battle Geology, for example, could seem like a wizard skill. It isn't. What exactly IS werediggle? The Church of Demonology is a Rogue skill?

I'm not saying the categorizations are WRONG, but the information transparency would be nice to have.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Honestly I agree with this, this is a minor thing that has always bugged me. Could have a colored border around the skill in the skill select or something.

Right now you can check in skillDB.xml, it says which one they are.

Aegho, Ruigi, ghostyTrickster and 2 others like this.
  3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

i was just thinking this last night when i started a new game.

Taking it a step further, it would be nice if the game gave you a little reference for stat gains per class level. I had no idea it was different for each type for the longest time. :p

4. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

Oh wow, Battle Geology is a Warrior skill?!

After checking Dredmorpedia, this skill looks amazing. I hope I die soon!

Cullen and Essence like this.
  5. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

...I can see how you might think that if you're new to the RPG genre, but really most people assume that warriors are sponges with teeth (high health, mostly melee, kill you mostly through attrition), wizards are railguns made of bamboo (very good at killing you from a long way away, mostly helpless up close, and die quickly at all distances), and rogues are basically thaumites (hard-hitting, hard-to-hit, but squish like bugs when cornered). Picking different character archetypes is going to make you stronger in different ways, is what's commonly understood.

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

well yes. but specific numbers would still be nice to have.

When I first started playing, I didn't really notice the difference. Mostly because I was unaware of how each of the stats worked.

7. Fayd

Fayd Member

Glad people like the suggestion!

8. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

This is the quintessential Roguelike thought.

9. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

When I first started playing I didn't even notice that there WERE different character archetypes built into the game.

10. Bnips

Bnips Member

I'd like to say I would love this as well.

In addendum, I would also love some basic in game labels that showed what scaled on what (now that things are starting to scale on lots of stats other than magic power) for spells, wands, and things that trigger spells. I'm not asking for in game formulas to be displayed or anything that complicated just a simple icon (like those found on the character sheet) or something indicating what stat or stats (if any a skill scales on), and if you really want to impress me a tiny "no symbol" (the same size as the existing symbols in the character UI) on things with no scaling.

ps. The game is better than ever as of late and I'm waiting with bated breath for the wizardlands.

11. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

I would love this too. It would be as simple as the icon plus the coefficient, with the number color in accordance with the color of the icon.

This is a very helpful standard in League of Legends to allow you to see what scales with what at a glance.

Pedantic Beating
    15% Chance to deal :dmg_crushing:4 + ( .50 x :burliness: )

This could conceivably be enabled through a "Show detailed tooltips" button, though I can't see why anyone would want less information like this.

Jellyman and adelmagne like this.
  12. Fayd

Fayd Member

People who don't like a cluttered UI.

Kazeto likes this.
  13. Teslacrashed

Teslacrashed Member

I would like more labels/information as well.

"cluttered ui" isn't a problem because we are specifically talking about the info screens, not the generic gameplay screen. When I pull up a stats or skills menu's, I want to know what my skills and stats do.

Jellyman likes this.
  14. Jellyman

Jellyman Member

Support both the ideas in this thread.