Kickstarter Thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Godwin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I do understand that, Althea. It's just that from the beginning I never really thought about giving them any money because I, as a matter of principle, don't spend any money on MMO games at all; therefore I could simply look at you talking instead of taking a side.

Honestly, personally I'm doubtful they'll manage. But since I'm not paying it's not up to me to decide.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

They've already hit their target so, unless they pull, they'll get funded.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  3. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

I think I understand now. You make a lot of good points, Loerwyn. I didn't look at it that way before, or just wasn't particularly bothered by it. Am now, though. But as Kazeto mentioned, I only care as much as someone who has no intention to ever back it would, I guess!

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I mean, I'm doubtful they will manage to deliver all they promised in "appropriate" amount of time.

That they pulled through I knew.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Oh, right. Yes, they certainly cannot get something like that put together in 18 months to hit the closed beta target (going by the May '15 date listed for one of the rewards) whilst maintaining some level of quality. Chances are the time available to create the game is even less once you consider the time they'll need to get all the software and infrastructure in place, and so on.

To contrast, I think Zeboyd Games were perfectly clear and honest in their budget talk for Cosmic Star Heroine (scroll down for the pie chart). It explains where the money is going, it explains how else they're funding it, what they'll do if they get more money than expected and so on. That, to me, is a business plan you can get behind because it shows they are able to make the game anyway (i.e. using the KS money), but have planned for the possibility that it is over-funded and so on. They also say where the other money is coming from.

Compare those two business plans, and it's quite clear how much of a better clue Zeboyd have.

OmniaNigrum, Gorbax and Kazeto like this.
  6. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

I've got a new Kickstarter up - to help port Colossal Kaiju Combat to OUYA! This has the nice benefit of also increasing our general development funds - since anything we raise gets doubled! (Via OUYA #FreeTheGames promotion.)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14214732/colossal-kaiju-combat-expanded-and-upgraded-ouya

We're also on Greenlight - more upvotes there are always nice. (Also, "favorite" and "follow" if you can!)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189069844

Obviously I'm not as active here as I was back in the day... but I'm happy to answer any questions and/or give virtual high-fives!

Kazeto, Godwin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  7. Aegho

Aegho Member

Recently released kickstarted game I'm liking the looks off, but I'm going to do some more research into before buying:
    Battle Worlds: Kronos. http://www.gog.com/game/battle_worlds_kronos

Turn-based strategy, sci-fi, hex-grid. What little video I've seen reminds me of Battle for Wesnoth, except with tanks and better graphics.

There's a release week sale that ends 12 Nov, it's also cheapest on GOG.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Jaggernaut25

Jaggernaut25 Member

Friends of mine just launched their Kickstarter and Greenlight for a game called Astral Terra. It's basically Morrowind + Minecraft, but with some key differences:
    • Smooth voxel-based system, so no uneven environments or blocky areas
    • Fully-fledged RPG with skills, abilities, character progression, customization, etc
    • Seven different planes to explore each with their own biomes/climates
    • PC, Mac and Linux support
    You can check out Kickstarter here - http://kck.st/1aplBDs
    Greenlight - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191913279

Any support would be awesome, they've worked hard for so long and the game is looking great. They will be sending out pre-alpha preview builds to press next week and backer tiers include alpha and beta access options - backers won't be waiting long to jump into this one.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

This looks pretty cool!
    Don't have a credit card, though
    Unless they set up a PayPal, I think a lot of people won't be able to back

Jaggernaut25 and OmniaNigrum like this.
  10. Jaggernaut25

Jaggernaut25 Member

Glad you like it! They do plan on doing that, but does that stuff go towards the campaign? I don't think it gets counted at all, but they definitely do plan on opening up a PayPal.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

I don't think there's a way to consolidate PayPal funds into their Kickstarter, as PayPal is a direct payment, while Kickstarter is delayed (and only if they make their mark). I guess it makes sense only credit card transfers would work for this.

Maybe there are some ways behind the screens to update the Kickstarter total, I wouldn't know. I do know that a lot of Kickstarters have set up PayPals and offer the same rewards for funders along that way, so I'm guessing the hassle is worth it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Jaggernaut25

Jaggernaut25 Member

I've seen Kickstarters do that for once they hit their goal, but until then the money isn't contributing to the goal, so it's difficult to justify having a separate campaign. Hopefully it gets funded, the game really does look pretty and really fun. Surprisingly feature-filled for the pre-alpha state that it's in.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Godwin

Godwin Member

The Mandate now has released a small promo game, as an homage to that distant and forgotten of game genres: the text adventure!

http://www.mandategame.com/scourge/

Really cool how they're going about their kickstarter. The amount of information they release is staggering. Videos showing characters and ships, twitter accounts telling whole in-character stories, dev blogs, campaign updates,...

Really cool kickstarter, check it out if you haven't already:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate

Jaggernaut25, OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  14. Godwin

Godwin Member

15. Wolg

Wolg Member

Kazeto likes this.
  16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I remember the seventh guest. It was my very first CD-ROM game back when almost everything was on floppies.

But I hated it in every way too. I hope you enjoy it.

17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I enjoyed "The Seventh Guest" for a bit, but like most puzzle games, I eventually gave up on it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

s h y
    g y p s y

s l y l y
    s p r y l y
    t r y s t b y m y c r y p t

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Wolg

Wolg Member

"I don't think you can do this..."

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Aegho

Aegho Member

Haldurson, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.