Kickstarter Thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Godwin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, that they do, but that's not necessarily bad.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's clearly inspired by one of the most stunning retro-esque games of recent years.
    [​IMG]

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. Godwin

Godwin Member

Indeed, and that's not a bad thing artwise.

4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I have to say I already like that one. Probably won't have time to play it ever (it's not like I don't have other games waiting to be played), but oh well.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Aegho

Aegho Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

You could always ask them if they'll have other control methods.

9. Aegho

Aegho Member

I guess, but there's also the real time combat, and it looks bad, it looks like it's going to be diablo style, or at best MMO style.

There's several diablo style games I would've enjoyed if they weren't click to move, but this looks more tacked-on. All in all I'm getting the impression it's going to be something like a Planet Explorers, except worse.

Mind you it's pre-alpha so it might surprise me, but looking at the kickstarter page and the english let's play they linked and the gameplay teaser... wasn't filling me with confidence.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Member

And what's wrong with click-to-move?

11. Aegho

Aegho Member

It's pretty much the worst possible control method. It really becomes a problem in combat, since you're now both moving and fighting with the same input method, instead of two separate input methods. Leading both to it being cumbersome to dodge or move, and risking a lot of confused inputs where you intended to attack, but instead moved, and vice versa. The better ones usually have a toggle button that prevents movement when held(Torchlight 2 comes to mind), but that's just a patch on a broken system.

I know some people don't seem to mind, diablo and dota clones are all over the place, but I can't stand it.

12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, depends on the game. But overall, the more action-oriented a game of this sort is, the less suitable click-to-move is when the alternative is keyboard/gamepad controlled movement.

That is why many RPGs nowadays—MMO or otherwise—have you control the character's movement with your keyboard/gamepad so that you'll be able to do it naturally and keep your attention to attacking/nuking/healing/buffing/whatever else games have nowadays.

Once again, depends on the game. Personally, though, I've found myself thinking that some games which use click-to-move would be fine with the other control scheme, and it happens much more rarely that I think the opposite; something that, while not being a perfect measure, is still quite telling.

OmniaNigrum and Aegho like this.
  13. Aegho

Aegho Member

It works for basically 3 genres:
    Point & click adventure games. No action here, and no worries about pathing.
    RTS: For unit orders. This is also basically fire and forget a lot of the time. The units have their own AI and will attack without being told.
    Turn-based tactics. Anything that gives you unlimited time to decide the actions of each unit under your command.

It doesn't work very well for anything action heavy, or where you're directing a single character in real time. And yes that's including diablo/dota games in my opinion.

I'd have absolutely loved some of the diablo genre games if they had WASD movement, Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile come to mind.

Haldurson, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, I still like those two. They might have been better if they had WASD movement (and in my opinion, would be better), but I still don't mind the controls seeing as it works well enough for them.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Aegho

Aegho Member

No, the controls drive me up the wall, especially later in the games when they start getting dodge or die moments, while I'm standing there targeting enemies and holding down a "attacks only, don't move" button. Then I have to totally reposition my mouse cursor and let go of that button in a split second to avoid death. I've competed semi-professionally in FPS but that just grates for me, just let me strafe damnit!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Which is why I take skills which damage the monsters as well as making me move in addition to the skills I use to maximise my damage output.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do get your point and all that. I'm just the sort of person whose main speciality is “adapting”, which means I don't really have any problems getting used to controls in games unless they are really terrible and completely unresponsive; with that, even if I find the controls sub-optimal, it is not the sort of thing that would make me stop playing.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Member

Click-to-move Torchlight was pretty handy though.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

19. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Member

I'm glad these guys had successfully funded their project.. The idea is great and I just love the art style.

Haldurson, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  20. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Member

Planets³
    Yes, yet another indie sanbox voxel open-world RPG, but this one looks promising. And the style... is stylish.