Keep on dying days later... Time for weaker build!

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by ElJefe, May 11, 2014.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Member

Sometimes when you screw up and die, it is best to make a build that will even further make less sense!

fight the power by dying easier!

How is this build:

Daggers
    Dual Weild - trying for passive Counter Defense so I DONT have to fight and think about +physical damage so much
    Alchemy
    Rogue Scientist - I want to accentuate the Alchemy part of the skills, tinkering ones not focused as much but used, why not.
    Paranormal investigator - Just so cool and well, it's just so cool. nice +1 to alchemy and resists and defensive things.
    Tinkering - I figure at some point i could make some gear I need, plus Stealth and traps. I figure this is how i kill Dredmor with some hefty xbow encrusted by alchemy and tinkering. This also powers up the Rogue, obviously, but I am not going to put a lot of points in it.
    Perception - necessary evil to not get frustrated

Build: Brimstone flasks + rogue scientist attacks. Single doods get he daggers.
    Alchemy is the prime thing here to focus on and make Flasks for bigger zoos.

I think it is solid from what i am reading. I never went full out alchemy and first time with paranormal and rogue scientist.

I realize that in this build I have no escape ability. I could make them with potions of invisibility... I guess?
    Most i think would take Burglary over Paranormal for this build as it levels with lucky pick and has escape skills.

Can this build get 100 Counter without taking swords? Dagger stance and items? eh? hm. I know Swords gives a lot of Counter, but there are items right? eh? hm.

I am realizing that this build cannot get 100% counter. I dont plan on being in middle of crap all the time, so it's not a full passive build. I also dont have Smithing so i cannot make the +8 Counter rings, of course, i might not even find the recipe. If i got alien autopsy i might though... irony.... would have to give up Paranormal for smithing then smithing wouldnt have the recipe possibly.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Paranormal Investigator is good for finding hidden recipes (if you put enough points into it) so it's a solid skill for any crafting-centric build. I do like Burglary, but yes, invis potions (if you craft enough of them) are a reasonable substitute. Hold on to all your gems, even the ones you think are relatively useless, because you'll be able to transmute them into something more useful. Xenochemistry from PI allows you to transmute potions, but that's a bet less useful and frustrating, because there are just too many different kinds of potions (and some items actually count as potions that you may not realize at first). Don't depend on it to give you the potions you actually want. But if you DO get lucky... wow.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Member

good points. I forgot I could transmute both potions and gems with this build.

getting high% counter is the challenge here. and so is finding 2 nice daggers.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Member

The build is having problems. the cooldown damage on rogue scientist is sort of hard to deal with. I am also wondering if Daggers and Dual wield will be enough for countering. Maybe i just have to wait for one of those potent daggers. Or two of them.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Member

Update! I took Artful Dodger, Unarmed and perception to create a dodge character for up close fights.

Rest of build is same: Alchemy, RogueScientist, Paranormal, Tinkering.

On level 7 and have so far (with 2 to go) +7 Alchemy points. The Rogue canister shot kills things so well. the acid projector is super super deadly. I have 2 more alchemy points to go. I should have focused more on Paranormal a bit more and chilled with getting the alchemy points as high. 5 alchemy points is enough to kill huge areas of crap on level 6-7 easily.

One skill that would be nice on this would be Burglarly. Stealth and picks would be SOOO nice to lay out the canisters earlier. I know that if i start to build tinkering and more in artful dodger i will have decent stealth but it would be nice as a skill. Canister, close a door, wait a while, see go from 70 in room to 20, throw into another corner, goes down to 5, anything that comes through the door gets acid for 2 round death or less. Rogue scientist is so cool!

I have 127 brimstone flasks at level 7. I make only like 4-5 per level now. I actually think i might finish the game with a bunch left. If they scale to magic power, theres a few interesting build and gear options for them. I have no -mp on my guy and have 20 MP right now just in case they use it which the pedia says they do. Thaumatic rebreather thing plus the helmet rogue gives on the skill along with paranormal is a nice no finding no crafting defense against gas clouds which always had an issue with in other builds.

Paranormal first skill is really strong. I dont know if this tree is underrated but it should not be at all. very cool and fun. I want to make wand lore + paranormal in a next build. About +50 magic resistance it would be and all sorts of goodies.