The Community Colony has Begun. Follow our Progress, or Join us!

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Unforked, Jul 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unforked

Unforked Member

Does this mean you're in? Should I add you?

I'm starting to feel like a cult leader;)

DaCrAzYmOfO likes this.
  2. DaCrAzYmOfO

DaCrAzYmOfO Member

Yeah go ahead I'll start the colony if you wish, I'll take care of the leveling of terrain and setting up a carpentry workshop and kitchen.

You could also download a number generator and assign numbers to the numbers of biomes to pick one randomly, same with the players to see who will go first etc.

3. Unforked

Unforked Member

Welcome! Some cool ideas, but for this one I'm going to start us off, and we'll play in order of the player list. That worked well in the past, because everyone could be prepared for their turn.

Not sure about starting biome yet, but I'm thinking I don't want to start too harsh. Playing this way can be tricky enough and we want to have a decent fighting chance.:)

DaCrAzYmOfO likes this.
  4. DaCrAzYmOfO

DaCrAzYmOfO Member

The only way I've managed to survive in desert biomes is to plant chillies and assign a full crew to constantly produce them. Once I have a stack of around 58 chillies I start pickling them and build a trade office, I get everything I need from there it's not hard it just requires it's own strategy.

Every other biome has more than enough forageables and wood to be very very easy.

5. Noratoxin

Noratoxin Member

It is the hardship on the frontier that requires clever workarounds. :resist_existential: Of course, hardship may not be that fun.

6. TheD3rp

TheD3rp Member

I'm in, for Queen and Country, Glory and Profit and all that.

7. Unforked

Unforked Member

I love a good challenge, desert maps are also my jam much of the time.

But these community games are less about using the perfect strategies to tame the more difficult conditions (though that can play a role), and more about telling the story of a growing colony from multiple points of view. You'll find the challenge lies in building upon what was done before you... because they didn't do it the way you would have.

It's fun because it's a Frankenstein colony pieced together from players with sometimes wildly different styles and play tactics. It's important not to judge what "mistakes" came before you... just accept what you're given and add your personal touch. :)

Noratoxin and DaCrAzYmOfO like this.
  8. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

A helpful reminder for anyone who intends to participate in the community colony:

Because everybody needs to be on the same version for interoperability reasons, it's important that nobody gets their client accidentally updated to one of the inevitable experimental versions, after starting the game. If you are participating in the community colony, you need to opt out of the Experimental branch (using the same option you used to opt in).

9. Unforked

Unforked Member

Ah, thanks for the reminder. I'll add this to the OP.

Also, I'm sure most (all)of you will want to play your own experimental games when they release. It should be no problem to switch back and forth as needed. As long as our saves stay on the main branch, we're golden.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  10. tojosan

tojosan Member

I was sure with some Steam games anyway, you could set both up at once however the ease of switching makes it likely not worth doing.

11. great news evryone my computer is restored

12. Unforked

Unforked Member

Great! I'll put you back in your original spot in line.

13. lol sorry sir i tried testing my computer for gaming use it shuts off after a few seconds

14. Unforked

Unforked Member

Ouch. :(

Well, I'll remove you again for now, but I'll reserve your spot in line just in case you get things up and running again.

15. DaCrAzYmOfO

DaCrAzYmOfO Member

16. it dose not reak of ashes i rigged a box fan to one of the cooling ducts can only use this computer for youtube and social media

17. mrclint

mrclint Member

Download a program that checks internal temperatures and see where the problem is.

18. Unforked

Unforked Member

Our Journey Begins

I have been chosen. Though I have virtually no experience in proper colonial management practices, bureaucracy, survival training, or leadership skills, I've been quite ceremoniously plucked from the elite few who dare volunteer for the role of Junior Colonial Bureaucrat to lead a new world colony. Experience and education are for fools, I have DETERMINATION! Thank you for pulling those strings, father.

The desert would be a perfect place to land, as I prefer warmth over the detestable chill of our homeland. Unfortunately, the wind blew us off course and we ended up right in the middle of a cogforsaken savanna and jungle hybrid. Well, at least my skin won't dry out.

Airship6.gif

Day One

We all arrived safely. The air was thick... perhaps a little unnaturally so, and unknown animals made curious sounds all around us. The first order of business would be to check supplies. I consulted our Head of Inventory, Alias Coalscofl. As this became my first serious setback, I'll record the conversation as best I can recall.

Me: "Where are all the upkeep trunks? I count only five."
    Coalscofl: "You... told us to drop some weight, we were running heavy."
    Me: "Yes, drop some weight. But not upkeep trunks! We had over a hundred. Do you not realize how important those are!
    Coalscofl: "But sir-"
    Me: "You should have jettisoned our food supplies first! You know how brittle these new world resources can be, they hardly last five days!"
    Coalscofl: “Beg your pardon sir, about our bricabrac…”
    Me: “No!”

So, we set about building a carpentry shop to produce upkeep trunks. As punishment for his ineptitude, Overseer Coalscofl would oversee the shop forever, churning out planks and bricabrac and upkeep trunks until only death could stop him. Fortunately he also had a middling talent for carpentry, but his disdain for all other cultures and nations made him somewhat unpopular among the others. He's making enemies already.

Coalscofl.jpg

With the carpentry shop underway, it was time to shape the land to our liking. Trees must be cut, stone must be mined, and most importantly, land must be flattened. Flat land was remarkably rare in this new world. I was told by the airship's captain that all new colonies started in a flat area, but perhaps his eyes were afflicted by 'Airman's Gloss'. We also began work on a laborers' quarters, since we needed them as soon as possible.

Beginning 2.jpg
    Humble beginnings

The rest of the day was productive yet uneventful. We broke ground on a maize farm and cleared the way for a kitchen. The men and women were forced to sleep on the floor of the carpentry shop, but as pioneers this hardly phased them. There's always a breaking point, however, so I began to consider the thought of planning to provide proper beds.

Day Two

I awoke with a spring in my step and a feather in my ascot. I couldn't be happier with our progress! I daresay there's nothing that could possibly stop us from spreading our glory all over this new world. With the laborer's house complete and the kitchen being built, It was time to consider defense. Then I disregarded that thought. These men and women are strong enough to fight with hammers and clubs for now, the military could wait.

Day 2.jpg
    Clockwork Empire roof architecture is simply unmatched

All these surface resources couldn't last forever, so it was time build a mine. The empire does nothing small - it should have at least three shafts with room for more. A trade office might also come in handy for bartering with the lesser foreign colonies nearby.

Toward the end of the night we saw our first three laborers arrive! They seemed confused, malnourished, and exhausted from their journey. So, I put them to work immediately. Two would help farm our maize, while the last would simply contribute to the ongoing flattening project.

Day 2 immigrants.jpg
    Fear not, your hard work will be rewarded with fungus slop

The kitchen was completed, and the very strange Crispin Tack was chosen to oversee it. Once more, nothing has troubled our glorious progress, nothing like the tales of horror I've been tortured with by my simpleton friends. I've begun to believe I was directly chosen by Cog. My destiny is indeed manifest.

End of Day 2.jpg
    The nights are lovely. No terrifying sounds in the distance at all.

Curses! One of our laborers, Jeramiah Steelocke, dared to wake me from my slumber to blabber on about witnessing some sort of Fishy Creature! How preposterous! How unlikely! Walking fish? And Vertiline Cordhewer backed up his claim! Cog would never allow such abominations to exist. Steelcocke shall be punished thoroughly (a pelting by black fungus) and we will deny any claim of further sightings of these... fish things.

Day 2 Fishies.jpg
    Those aren't Fish People, the night is just moving oddly

Day 3

After last night's foolishness, I prayed for a respite from anything but our task at hand. Despite our ability to fight, it may be wise to build a barracks after all, just in case we run afoul of any bandits or brigands... not to mention the dodo birds that keep feasting on our maize. That meant more laborers, and indeed higher quality housing to draw them in. So I went against my better judgement and built some cots.

Oh no. There are whisperings floating around about the unfair nature of my employment as Junior Colonial Bureaucrat.. They're saying an airship is already on the way with a new Bureaucrat to replace me!

Well I refuse to endure the humiliation! I'll flee into the wilderness and return when I'm needed again. That will prove my sturdy constitution to my superiors. A final picture of our fledgling colony will stay burned in my mind.

Day 3 End.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're up @tojosan! Your save for the next player should begin right at the start of day 7. Let's pray this save is stable. Good luck and Cogspeed to you sir.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  19. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

(BTW look out for the trade office - it'll crash when you click on it. We're pushing a hotfix soon.)

Edit: It's live, you should be safe.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.