OS X Snow Leopard Items of level 11+ are not spawning

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by r_b_bergstrom, Jan 3, 2012.

1. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

In short, items with level="11" or higher do not seem to spawn on the dungeon floor, nor in chests. They do occassionally show up in shops.

I recently finished the game, and was a little surprised at how repetitive the treasures in the last several levels were. On floors 11 to 15, nearly every weapon was a lirpa, with a thin dusting of Broad Axe and the rare Doul's Possible thrown in for good measure. Mostly Lirpas, though. Dear god, was I drowning in Lirpas. Started calling them Lirpafisk. I was not a staff character, but I ended up carrying a Lirpa because the after fisking your sixth Lirpa that has over 20 points of bonus aetherial damage (from an evil chest) , you start thinking the game is trying to tell you something about the weapons you're (not) carrying.

So I set out to mod in some more level 10 items to mix it up a bit. Much to my surprise, once I opened the Realm of the Diggle Gods files, I found they were full of items I've never seen before, all marked level 11 or higher. I finished the whole game without ever seeing a Shield of Black Geometry, Hexaxe, Dwarven Army Sword, Sword of the Necropoking, Savvarius, Staff of Godwjin, Spear of Holy Sacrifice, Bolt Eruptor, or several others.

It really looks to me like items of quality 11 or higher don't spawn except in shops. The only three I saw during the game included two in shops (a Steel Crown and a Shrike's Ring) and one Crownstar Addendum that I think I found in a fountain IIRC.

Of course, I suppose it's possible that I just had a really dismal extended run of random-number-generator luck. Anyone else experience what I'm describing here?

2. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

Lirpa is the most common rare item i've ever seen. I don't know why.

3. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

True that. I've only seen royal beatdowns, lirpas, clockwork bolt throwers and golden crossbows out of evil chests in levels past 11.

It was a real surprise when I looked at dredmorpedia and saw all those things which are supposed to be in the expansion.

4. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

I think this deserves bumping--it's cutting off important content from the game and styming mod efforts.

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I let the devs know, so they're definitely aware of this now if they weren't before.

6. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm pretty sure if I had a flashy staff spawn once. It was in a lever room of floor 2. It might have also been a staff of crystals but I know it had righteous damage.

It had 10 mp, 5 haywire, 10 or so righteous, 10 or so of something else and some more (I'm not mixing this up with something else), and I'm pretty sure the blinding flash did activate. Of course I don't actually remember about the flash or how much righteous it was (and that's more than the staff has, even considering artifact bonuses) but that's what's most clear to me.

Of course I did post in on the irc but I don't have the link and have deleted all my dredmor pictures in a mass clearing.

That was on a necro, who later died.

7. jzworkman

jzworkman Member

How is any of this relevant to the bug of lvl 11+ items not spawning in dungeons. It was most likely staff of crystals if you are on level 2 as even in chest you dont find items that over-powered that soon.

8. Necrodoom

Necrodoom Member

windows 7 here, didnt knew there are actually items that are better than level 10, 11 and above were simply spams of level 10 items all over the place (with EXTREMELY odd level 1 and 2 items at shops, rarely) thrown weapons machine was pretty much just holy hand grenades. (seems bolt machine needs fixing, though, it spews bolts randomly not matter what level)

9. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Confirming, but disagreeing. Throwing machines need fixing, not the other way around.

Nearly all the throwing machines in the last few levels for me were 100% holy hand grenade, whereas the bolt machines show a good mix of bolts at all levels. It does strike me as odd that one type of machine is clearly stocked/generated by floor level, and the other disregards dungeon level for variety.

Of the two, I find the bolt machine format much preferable, as it would be a real shame if we had to wait until the 10th level of the dungeon to get Squidbolts or BMDs. Likewise, an entire machine full of nothing but Squid and BMDs would be sickly broken... and even more so if such machines populated the last several floors of the dungeon exclusively. I'd rather see thrownvending follow the bolt model, than vice-versa.

Essence likes this.
  10. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

OH, dear, Dungeons of Dredmor, oh dear...
    This is a big bug.

I've wondered too why I kept finding over 9000 Lirpas. :)
    I hope this bug gets fixed ASAP. In the meantime, wouldn't adjusting the level spawning in the items xml file help make them spawn finally?