Item appearance mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KangasaurusRex, Dec 24, 2011.

1. This was the one thing I hoped for when I saw there were modding tools. Is it possible to mad it so items actually change appearance?

2. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

Elaborate please..

3. As in, put on steel breastplate, avatar of character is wearing a steel breastplate instead of the same old vest. It would take a lot of artistic pixelwork but if it's even possible, it would be the best mod ever. I'd put my hours in on the artistic side.

4. Tropxe

Tropxe Member

Yeah, I think that would be a cool thing to do, although I can imagine it not being possible since there isn't anything in the engine to plug it into, if you see what I mean. It's not so much a mod thing as something that would be added to the core game. I hope I'm wrong about this because I think that'd add a lot to the experience and the joy of finding new equipment.

5. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

The hero has over 690 sprites you would have to edit in order to make that work

6. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

It would require hours upon hours upon hours of animating every single last piece of equipment to the many number of hand-crafted animations on two genders and potentially two polymorphs. It's not going to happen. And even if it could be made in a mod it would take massive groups of people that were very good at this, to even get it in a remotely reasonable amount of time. I don't think you realize how many animations there are.

EDIT: Well now you do, it's 690, and not many less than that for polymorphs (if equips were to even be included on them).

7. I didn't say it wouldn't take a long time, you'd need a team working on it. IT would be entirely epic though, easily a #1 mod.

8. Also, you don't have to do it for EVERY piece of equipment. Just one for steel, one for iron, one for brass, robes, etc. Keep it generalized, but much more expansive than it is.

9. Archiez

Archiez Member

it sounds easy as a mod, but hard as of the pixelwork
    this would be an awesome project------and you could just dumb it down a bit by just the type of armor brestplayes robes pants shoes and junk like that i dont think neclaces or rings will be there lol thats just to much

10. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

We could turn into a community project, I'd definitely help then.

11. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

12. Baleur

Baleur Member

This is what annoys me the most about DoD, not even your weapon changes. You use a staff but the animation shows an axe or sword.... >_>

Even 5 year old roguelikes based on ascii art, with later graphic mods, have characters that display the armor and even weapons correctly. Granted, they arent animated, but i'd take an unanimated dummy anyday over an animated vest-wearing average joe sprite that has nothing to do with the character i build.

As for the art, the item art is already in the game. All the weapons for instance, that sprite could just be rotated on an axis when the character hits something, attached to the hand. The armor art is there as well, could just be "pasted" ontop of the character sprite.
    If the game engine doesnt work like that, they would do that in an expansion. I see how unlikely it is that a mod will accomplish this.

13. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Really?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Euthymios, Kazeto and ChristmasAsen like this.
  14. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Deliberate obtuseness does not become you, J-F.