Interior Dredmorating version 1.2.6.4

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by r_b_bergstrom, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Portalboat

Portalboat Member

I want to reply about the crashing thing: It seems like it's 1b, because the first time I ran it it worked fine. (zombie zoos!!) But now, it crashes all the time. So it's probably an item loading that wasn't loading before.

2. I know it wasn't clashing with my attempted mod or with Jay's MegaPhoneme mod.

3. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Please, if anyone can reproduce the crash consistently, let me know. Include things like platform, whether or not any other mods are installed, etc.

I've been brute force triggering and testing everything I can think of in my mod, and nothing in the released version has ever crashed for me.

I've eliminated several more of my wackier "maybe this could be the cause of the crash" ideas with trial and error, and have just one thing left on my list. If that doesn't turn it up, though, I'm going to probably have to assume this isn't my error at all. It sounds suspiciously like this thread: http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/seemingly-random-crashing.2280/ which seems to be going on in the vanilla game with no mods.

However, all this testing and debugging has caused me to tighten up my code, fix typos, make little improvements to rooms, etc, so I suppose it's not a waste even if I don't find the cause of the crash. Either way, I'm getting a better mod for my efforts. But man would I be happier spending the time actually creating new content instead of combing for bugs that I may or may not have created.

Wi§p likes this.
  4. r_b_bergstrom

To test this theory, I created a room that spawned every item that I hadn't seen since my most recent updates to the items. Every single one spawned and loaded just fine. (Though I did detect an interesting bug that isn't my code but is a problem with the main game - weapons with resistbuffs don't buff your resist like they should. The Blue Steel Sword and Timberbane don't show the resists they're coded to have. Which means several of my new items don't, either.)

So that made me realize there's also a 1f possibility (trust me, I've already brainstormed and eliminated 1c, 1d, and 1e). Nouns that when they appear in room names spawn statues, paintings, or floor textures. I added a few of these, and there's no way to reliably test them. In order for them to occur, you need to randomly get a room with that word in the name, and have the proper corresponding @, P, or ^ symbol on room's ascii map. But I double-checked all of those, and there's no typos or syntax errors. After a ton of testing, I've now seen all my new statuary and paintings .

So here's a related 1g (or 1f2, if you prefer) - the game has all of its statues and paintings in .spr format, whereas mine are in .png format. There's plenty of other places where the game uses .png format, and as I said they all load fine on my machine, but maybe it's some sort of platform difference.

Can those who have been having the crash confirm for me whether or not you've seen any of the following decorating a room (and please include whether windows/mac/linux) :

Statues:
    • giant bagel, inner tube, or donut.
    • giant bulb of garlic, or a giant onion.
    • Grog stein.
    • giant pin-cushion.
    • book on a pedestal with worms crawling out of it.
    Paintings:
    • post cards on the wall.
    • painting of a tiger.
    • painting of a kitten.
    • bath towel hanging on a rack on the wall.
    Floor details:
    • pizza on the floor.

I figure if someone on Windows has seen all three of a statue, a painting, and a pizza, and someone on Linux has done the same, that will rule out this possibility as the source of the crashes on those platforms. In which case, I'm going to officially assume it's not my mod that's doing it, because I've literally seen every room, item, and image in my mod in the past few days, and probably all the nouns, insults, decors, titles, etc. It's been a long week.

EDIT: Also, for the record, I've run every single file through the .xml validator others have linked to, and they all come up clean.

5. I'm sorry, I know this doesn't help, but I have to report my first crash/freeze.
    The only reason I'm writing is because I installed this mod earlier today.

I was heading down stairs from level 7 to level 8 with a completely full inventory. I'd collected my loot from level 7 and was heading down to level 10 to re-stash it.
    Not able to reproduce, but if/when I can, I'll upload a save.

Windows 7/64
    Dwarven/NotPermadeath.
    Not able to produce and none of the items on your above list seemed to be on the level when I crashed.

Fwiw, I am using a previous vanilla save. Character level 17 when I activated the mod.

6. r_b_bergstrom

No, your post helps a lot. Thank you for the information. Can I ask you a few questions to help me track down the issue?

First off, was your complete game played using my mod, or did you install it after you'd played the character for a few floors? I ask because of the bit about levels 7, 8 and 10 in your post:

Ok, this part puzzles me. I don't mean to question your gaming habits, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this, and just want to make sure I've got the right picture. So, if I'm understanding correctly, you installed my mod today, got all the way down to level 10, then went back up to level 7 to grab some loot you'd left there, and on traveling back down again from 7 to 8 en route to return to 10 it crashed? If I'm understanding that correctly, you'd previously been on level 8 without a crash, and now returning to 8 caused the crash? Is that correct?

There's two ways I could parse that sentence. Are you saying that you definitely have seen the postcard room, or that you aren't sure if you've seen it? (The picture in question has two postcards hanging one above the other on a wall, one picture-side-out, the other text-side-out with cancellation mark, etc.) If you know you've seen the postcard, that rules out 1/6th my suspected statue/painting/floor noun issue and casts at least 2 of the other 6ths into doubt as well.

7. Just came back to the thread to post my 2nd crash. Level 10 and still seems random. I crashed on death animation.
    Also, the first crash just froze my window/game with an endless spinning pointer. I play windowed 1600x1024. It must have been crashed for a good 15min before I noticed. The pointer was still spinning and I had not gotten a Windows error message.
    The second crash quickly brought up the windows error message of "this program must close"/"Try to find a solution" or whatever the duel message box is from Windows7.

Your questions: Hehe.. After rereading my posts, I wasn't very clear on levels. ;)

- I installed your mod after my character had made it to Dungeon level 9. My character was level 18.
    -My character is now level 21 and exploring Dungeon level 10.
    -As for your "puzzles me", yes. You have that right. :) I had killed Brax and was farming his spawns for exp just before that first crash.
    -Postcard: I'm not sure I have seen it. If it is specific to the mod, I know I have not seen it. Anyways, it is moot as I went back up to the level and looked around. None of those items on your list were on the level(s) I crashed on.

I'll try not to edit this post 10x in 10min like I did the previous one.

I hope this clarifies some things.

Btw, I do like your mod. Even with the crashes (very few and I save a lot), it is a keeper. This is only my 3rd character and the vanilla DoD dungeon layout/modules were already getting repetitive. Unrelated, I'm the deepest into the dungeon/game at level 10 as I've ever been. So I'm just cutting my teeth. My first character (still alive) is "Tester The Adventurer". My 2nd character save game got corrupted somehow and would not show up in the load list. One of the 2 .sav files went missing. No idea what that is about, so I just started over. My current/3rd character is going strong.

8. tehrei

tehrei Member

Platform:
    Windows 7 x64, all latest updates installed.
    System language: English
    Language for non-Unicode programs/date and time formats/basically all other settings: Japanese
    (Only writing that here since using languages aside from English has been a problem with certain applications. It shouldn't have any bearing on individual mods if the rest of the game works fine though, methinks.)
    Dredmor 1.09 REV B, via Steam (RotDG installed, needless to say)
    No other mods ever installed or in use

Statues:
    1. Bagel and Donut both seen.
    2. Giant bulb of garlic, seen.
    3. Grog Stein, I don't remember seeing it.
    4. Giant Pin-cushion, seen it.
    5. Book with worms crawling out of it, not seen that. Sounds awesome though.

Paintings:
    1. Postcards, seen them.
    2. Painting of a tiger, seen it once.
    3. Painting of a kitten, seen it a couple of times =3
    4. Bath towel, nope, doesn't ring a bell.

Floor details:
    1. Pizza, seen it more than once.

Additional info:
    Both times this crash has happened to me I've gotten an autosave on the stairs, on my way down, effectively losing zero of the progress I've made. Also worth noting is that it's never crashed two times in a row.

I'll get back to you if/when I have any more info, feel free to ask if there's anything else I can do. As I said earlier in the thread I was busy all last week, but I'm (hopefully) free this week so I should be able to playtest this mod a lot more ^^

Cheers~~

9. r_b_bergstrom

That I can be pretty certain is a general main game crash, not my mod. My mod alters absolutely nothing about the character death process, or any of the animations. I would recommend reporting your crash on the normal bugs forum.

Well, that complicates things a bit. Now in addition to the possibility of the crash being caused by my mod or caused by just some bug in the main game, there's also the possibility that the crash is the result of some interaction of using the mod while revisiting a level that was originally generated without the mod content. I'm not sure what to do about that (except perhaps add a warning to the download page that says for maximum stability the mod should only be used on a new character).

No need to keep an eye out for the various paintings and statues, then, they probably aren't the cause of the crashes you're reporting.

Oh, that's so cool! Why didn't I ever think of that? I've been so careful about Brax ever since that time he insta-murdered me for drinking a potion of radiance near him, that I just assumed he was insanely tough. Clearly, I'm missing out on some sweet xp (especially on builds with Archaeology) and items. Gonna have to address that the next time I get a character to level 20 or so.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying it. That people are having fun with it makes all the debugging headaches well worth it.

I know what you mean. That's pretty much why I made this mod.

Unfortunately, the version you've got at the moment only has a handful of rooms for levels 10+. There'll be more in the new version I plan to upload in the next 24-36 hours. Now that I've got a better idea what the crashes are, and that they probably aren't mine, I can just polish off what I've got here and release it.

Thanks again for the bug report. Good luck on levels 10-15!

10. r_b_bergstrom

Well, that rules out everything I was the least bit apprehensive about. The three codes that I'd hoped could run .pngs instead of .sprs most definitely can, at least for Windows and Mac. Unless someone with Linux shows up and says they've been getting crashes and have played four or five floors of my mod without seeing any of those, I think I can put this theory to rest.

Glad to hear the crashes have never killed a character. That takes some of the weight off my shoulders as well.

I'd say your crashes are either _not_ from my mod, or else they're from something in the mod which I incidentally fixed in the new version I'm working on before the first crash report ever came to my attention. If it's the former, there's nothing I can do (except suggest you file a bug report with the game's devs in the appropriate forum). If it's the later, we can both look forward to the next version going live today or tomorrow and being almost-certainly bug-free. I've been in every room, equipped every item, seen every graphic, so it's all running as expected in version 1.1.2.

Thanks again for the bug reports and feedback. They've been most helpful.

11. tehrei

tehrei Member

It's very possible the crashes aren't due to your mod, especially since you've been going through your code to check for bugs. I actually didn't play 1.09 B without your mod for much more than a couple of levels and it could be very well be the patch who's the main culprit here. I think the devs were gonna release 1.10 today or tomorrow(?) though, so hopefully that will sort things out.
    On a related note: do you have any idea if it will be safe to update Dredmor and keep playing as usual? When the update is released, that is.

Hmm, actually I don't think you can answer that before the patch actually is out... guess we'll just have to wait and see ^^

12. r_b_bergstrom

I'm on a Mac, so my experience has been that every time there's a new update, I have to start an all new character. That's completely besides the issue of mod compatibility. But like you said, we won't know till the patch comes out.

13. r_b_bergstrom

Here's the new version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8238260/Interior Dremorating 1.1.2.zip

This is version 1.1.2. I skipped ahead a little in the numbering system for reasons of internal debugging process. Thanks to all those who helped track down which problems were actually mine. :)

New features:
    * About 15 more new rooms (plus some more per-floor variations)
    * 1 or 2 new items
    * A smattering of new nouns, insults, etc.
    * A few graphics improvements, typo fixes, tighter code in general, numerous minor miscellaneous debugs. This has been extensively tested, so I'd be very surprised if any remaining crash bugs are mine.

And now the bad news:
    Because of the nature of some of the changes, I recommend only upgrading on a new character. I expect some of the room fixes (and the general organization of rooms.xml) will cause conflicts with the previous version of my mod, or on an in-progress main game that has the mod added a few floors in. For best results, start a new game with the mod in place.

EDIT: Daynab (or any other moderators) if you're reading this, could you please change the thread name to reflect that it's now on 1.1.2?

ElectricMessiah likes this.
  14. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Done :)

15. MrAltamente

MrAltamente Member

Ur mod(V1.0!!) was working with this other mods (on WINDOWS 7 ,that I have tested!..... and use lol):

[​IMG]

Im gonna download the mod new version and test it out :p
    Ill let u know the results :)

-----

For those people having trouble installing mods, dont forget that the mods folder also accept(READ) the unziped mod folder itself (with its normal mod content files..... obviously), or a .RAR file . U can see my up pic, almost all mods i use are unzipped... and yes, working.
    Its a matter of playing around with the ZIP/RAR/....FOLDER(?) tools and see if that fixes the "mods working matter" :D.

Sorry if some of the ideias of my text are... confusing, but English aint my Native Language.
    Hope you guys understand.

16. r_b_bergstrom

Thanks for the input. Good to know there's no compatibility issues with most of the more popular mods out there.

17. Repulsion

Repulsion Member

I think the compatibility issues are with Encyclopedia Magicka. I took that out and everything was fine, au contraire to before when I crashed when I tried to make a character, load a character, etc. etc.

18. MrAltamente

MrAltamente Member

Take a look -->here<-- ... it kinda happened with me too ;)

19. tehrei

tehrei Member

Finally killed Dredmor with my char, so now I'll download the latest update :D judging by your patch-notes it looks promising!

20. Same here, but I'll kill Dredmor later today. Working through DL15 now.