Intelligent Enchantments

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Null, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Then it would increase the chances of getting those, as with that system it's always possible to get more of a stat you already have. So a simple +1 crafting hat would have a small chance of getting more crafting bonuses, and I think it won't be that difficult to get equipment with that sort of bonus, either from Inconsequentia, from Evil Chest, or from a mod.

Most probably.
    And personally I think it would be better that way, as that would allow players to modify that file, thus meaning that it'll be easier to balance it in the long run.

2. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Well as per this suggestion at the moment, they don't have a chance at all, regardless of if you have it or not. It's not zero it's non-existent.

3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Oh well, that's too bad then. But it's your suggestion, so I won't argue whether adding it would be a good idea or not.

4. Samupo

Samupo Member

I think full randomness is way more fun. Just not knowing what you could get or thinking how can this guy make acid damage with a boot if he hits with a sword is the core of the game. I think DoD shouldn't lose that kind of randomness and make itself a follow-the-guide game like "You lack of damage, enchant your sword".

PD: I got +1 to wancrafting from Krong.

5. Null

No you didn't. You got wand affinity. Wand affinity doesn't exist any more. Getting it is an incredibly well-known bug that will be fixed.

And would you rather have it how it is now. You lack of something, enchant your weapon/crossbow because they're better than anything else in the game to enchant.

6. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Tomes could be like Circlets in Diablo II, unique in that they have equal chance of any kind of enchantment.

Wi§p likes this.
  7. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Sadly, I don't think Tomes can be treated any differently than Shields. ClassOverrideName appears to be a purely visual thing, ne?

8. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

For now, sure, but there's no reason that it can't have more functionality than that.

9. kino5

kino5 Member

I don't understand exactly how some buffs work on some items, so I'll give my opinion in base of one assumption, one way or another:

IF some buffs don't work on an item, i.e. "a counter buff doesn't work if applied to a hat", I think it's a good idea narrowing the selection of buffs appliable to different kinds of items, to avoid getting useless buffs.

IF every buff DOES work on every item, and the only difference is that the buff only applies in some actions, or something like that, then I'd rather leave it as it is. The reason for this is just what Essence said. Random is fun, and the only reason to reduce it is what I stated before: to avoid completely useless results.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself right, but I hope you guys get the idea.

10. Samupo

Samupo Member

Agree.

11. One thing that always bugged me is how the game considers adding :mana:1 a viable and worthy addition, when a plain ol' unenchanted Silver Ring gives :mana:4.

12. Null

All buffs can be applied to any item and still function correctly. This modifies the chances of each so its more likely to get some semblance of usefulness and the ability to skew it. Because if you enchant a staff that gives a bunch of magical abilities, chances are you don't want to receive 1 dodge.

13. kino5

kino5 Member

In that case, I think it's better to leave it like it is. If you start removing random factors from a roguelike, it goes to waste. Part of the fun, or the challenge, is to choose between several pieces of equipment because of its stats, thinking twice before Kronging an item, or which item is worth the risk, etc.

What they could do is making Krong Anvils stop giving :wand_burn: , since it's not used anymore. Other than that, I think it's fine as it is.

14. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

I think you're still misinterpreting the idea. Here's a simplified comparison:

Current System
    Enchant a Knobbly Staff:
    • 25% chance of :melee_power:
    • 25% chance of :crit:
    • 25% chance of :magic_power:
    • 25% chance of :haywire:
    Enchant a Fine Steel Mace:
    • 25% chance of :melee_power:
    • 25% chance of :crit:
    • 25% chance of :magic_power:
    • 25% chance of :haywire:
    Intelligent System
    Enchant a Knobbly Staff:
    • 10% chance of :melee_power:
    • 10% chance of :crit:
    • 40% chance of :magic_power:
    • 40% chance of :haywire:
    Enchant a Fine Steel Mace:
    • 40% chance of :melee_power:
    • 40% chance of :crit:
    • 10% chance of :magic_power:
    • 10% chance of :haywire:
    Right now there is no thinking. The logically best choice for Kronging is always your crossbow if you're not an archer. No risk (you can throw away a cursed bow) and you can keep the same bow till the end of the game without impacting your stats. This fixes that issue by forcing you to Krong equipment that's important to you if you want to a better chance of getting stats relevant to your skillset.

I talked about the difference between 'pure randomness' and 'designed randomness' in a post on page 1.

Kazeto and Essence like this.
  15. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Ah. I get it now. I change sides.

16. kino5

kino5 Member

Well yeah, I was misinterpreting it. I thought the change was destined to remove the oportunity to get some buffs depending on the item, not to just adjust percentages. In that case, I agree with you too. Thanks for taking the time explaining it :)

17. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Sorry for being a Necromancer, but I was busy in real life for a bit.
    I understand how this works, and I would indeed be for it.

18. Null

It's not really necroposting until it's over a few weeks to a month old.

19. Godwin

Godwin Member

I am still against it. It will make it a lot easier to get the right gear with the right enchantments, it will make it easier to go for certain builds and to min-max. It will lead to easier games overall (if you seek enchantment X then enchant item Y that has the most chance of giving it), more classic roles and builds and with all the stacking of multiple enchantments the items might get too powerful quickly.

20. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

Given the number of stats that can be gained the weighting wouldn't have a huge impact on overall randomness if it is minorly weighted.
    Currently its about 1/58 (not including crafts) assuming all are equal (24 stats, 16 damages and 16 resistances, if my calculations are correct).

If we say increase 4 possible stats per item, to have a +1 weighting (making those double the lieklyhood) that leaves enchants at a possible of 62 possible enchantments making the weighted ones 2/62 likely while others are still only 1/62. All in all not a huge variance on the randomness but still more liekly. Even at +3 weighting thats only 4/70 for a weighted buff, while 1/70 on an unweighted (so still not a huge difference, though a definate trend).

Though I do think that :life: and :mana: would likely be better at 3-5 points per 1 point equivlent enchantment, as currently 1 point either positive or negative is fairly pointless.