Intelligent Enchantments

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Null, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

One thing that's bothered me are the enchantments. Like that one could get armor absorption on a sword or slashing damage on a hat. While this is nice I feel it makes no sense whatsoever. Additionally, the game values 1 vision radius or 1 mana regen and 1 enemy dodge reduction equally. It's quite strong to get one of the former but the latter is purely a dissapointment.

I'm going to suggest a method that makes the enchantments more consistent and allows someone to decide which item to put on an anvil because of stat differences in each.

I'd suggest that when random enchants are chosen each stat is given a weight and strength. The base weight would be based on the item type, and the strength based on the type of stat. Some factors would change it. Maybe even the material could modify weights just like room names modify the blockers in them. Damage could probably be grouped into one stat, and then distributed by a similar formula to this, maybe the types determined by weapon type (and the modifications to the weight in the next section). Negative damage should probably be changed to affect current damage (and be rerolled if no damage exists on the item).

To give an idea of the base weight I'll list some of my personal thoughts on the weights. For the purposes of this the damage stat will be listed simply as :dmg_slashing:, same with resistance. Primary Stats are represented :burliness:.

Melee Weapons:
    8::dmg_slashing::counter::crit::edr::melee_power::block:
    5::magic_resist::dodge::reflection::magic_power::haywire::life::mana:
    2::burliness::sneakiness::armor_asorb::sight::trap_sense::trap_level::life_regen::mana_regen::resist_slashing:

Crossbows:
    8::dmg_slashing::crit::edr::dodge::sneakiness:
    5::magic_resist::magic_power::haywire::block::life::mana:
    2::burliness::melee_power::counter::armor_asorb::reflection::sight::trap_sense::trap_level::life_regen::mana_regen::resist_slashing:

Gloves:
    8::edr::crit::sneakiness::trap_level::melee_power::block:
    5::dmg_slashing::counter::armor_asorb::dodge::magic_power::haywire::life::mana::magic_resist::resist_slashing:
    2::burliness::reflection::sight::trap_sense::life_regen::mana_regen:

Head:
    8::sight::trap_sense::edr::crit::armor_asorb::block::resist_slashing:
    5::trap_level::counter::life::mana::magic_resist::haywire::dodge::sneakiness:
    2::burliness::dmg_slashing::magic_power::reflection::melee_power::life_regen::mana_regen:

Body:
    8::armor_asorb::block::magic_resist::life::reflection::resist_slashing:
    5::mana::magic_power::dodge::sneakiness::life_regen:
    2::burliness::dmg_slashing::melee_power::haywire::mana_regen::trap_level::counter::edr::crit::sight::trap_sense:

Shoes/Pants/Belts
    8::dodge::sneakiness::block::magic_resist::counter::resist_slashing:
    5::armor_asorb::reflection::life::mana::edr::magic_power:
    2::burliness::dmg_slashing::melee_power::life_regen::mana_regen::trap_level::sight::trap_sense::haywire::crit:

Jewelry:
    8::burliness::melee_power::life::mana::magic_power::haywire::life_regen::mana_regen:
    5::dmg_slashing::reflection::counter::trap_level::edr::magic_resist::resist_slashing:
    2::armor_asorb::block::dodge::sight::trap_sense::crit::sneakiness:

Ammo: (these stats would affect only the attack with them)
    5::dmg_slashing::melee_power::edr::crit::sneakiness::magic_power:
    0: everything else, nothing else could be possible at all.
    Melee power would only exist on thrown items, and magic power only on ammo that procs things (where it would affect only that proc). Maybe there could be some fun -:life: or -:mana: for negative krongs as painful costs to use that ammo.

Those are just my opinions on the base weights. They're base because they'd be modified by certain factors. If a stat already exists on the item it would get +3 added to its weight. If it shares a related stat with an item on the item already or added to the item, it gets +1, which stacks to a max +3. If it is both related and existing, then it gets 2 + the related bonus. I might as well give what I'd feel are related (also somewhat for balancing) organized by id for no reason. And I'm aware that tinkering is the only crafting stat on an item.

:burliness:>All derived stats
    :dmg_slashing:>:dmg_piercing::resist_slashing: (other damage types, resist of same type)
    :resist_slashing:>:resist_piercing::dmg_slashing: (other resists, damage of same type)
    :life:>:life_regen::block::melee_power::mana:
    :mana:>:mana_regen::magic_resist::magic_power::life:
    :melee_power:>:crit::counter:
    :magic_power:>:mana::haywire:
    :crit:>:edr::melee_power::counter:
    :haywire:>:magic_power::mana::reflection:
    :dodge:>:counter::edr::sneakiness:
    :block:>:life::magic_resist:
    :counter:>:edr::block::reflection:
    :edr:>:dodge::counter::sight::trap_sense:
    :armor_asorb:>:block::magic_resist::life:
    :magic_resist:>:block::reflection:
    :life_regen:>:life::block:
    :mana_regen:>:mana::magic_power::haywire:
    :sneakiness:>:dodge::edr::crit::trap_sense:
    :trap_level:>:trap_sense::edr::crit:
    :trap_sense:>:sight::trap_level::sneakiness:
    :sight:>:edr::trap_sense::crit::counter:
    :smithing:>:trap_level::melee_power::block:
    :tinkerer:>:trap_level::edr:
    :alchemy:>:mana::magic_power:
    :reflection:>:magic_resist::block::counter:
    :wand_burn:>:magic_power::haywire:

I had an example and all, but I'm sorry it's just because of fiddling with the post's length to put some of it into text, because apparently the limit is imposed just changing from code to rich text and back, I ended up losing it. There's no way I'm retyping it because it took eternities.

Kazeto likes this.
  2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

That actually does make sense, you know. It might (and probably will) take some time to code if the developers decide to include it, but I think the game could benefit from that, seeing as enchantments are now completely random.

3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm against this purely on principle. Random is fun. Random is funny. Random is good.

4. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

I'm for this because the rules that you use to structure randomness is what separates procedurally generated content from noise.

Plus it helps lessen the effect of non-archers being able to Krong crossbows for free stats without any risk.

5. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

I still prefer full random enchantments myself.. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing enchants get a better "value" system though, so that the less useful ones like :dodge: would usually come in higher multiples. Maybe there could be a compromise.. with another, less risky way to enchant gear? Something like an enchant scroll or another enchanting god, that would ask you for what you want; there would still be a chance for it to debuff, or go full random though

Samupo likes this.
  6. Null

It's still rather random and there is still a good chance to get something really odd, but it's lessened. You just have the option to skew the randomness. And it adds strategic depth because what's the point of upgrading your ring when you can upgrade your crossbow and be guaranteed that you'll overall have better enchantments (which is true at the time being). Additionally this is meant as a small buff to throwers who need gloves to get procs (though that was not the body of this post).

And additionally it brings up ammo and makes it useful to enchant. And this method means that if you enchant a mages staff you'll more likely get magic power than say crit chance. At the same time it makes the curses more severe (which should remain completely random) because they then decrease instead mostly magic stats.

7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

To be fair, randomness is random. :)
    That said, I am extremely confused how you can get that procedurally generated content from randomness.
    You can't really have randomness give you something that makes sense. :) For instance, fgktlkthlwhjjial is a random series of letters. There is no sense there.

All forms of Randomness in games are limited due to how they're programed. True randomness is impossible with current technology. If you thought that noise pic was messy...

Also, swords giving AA is not as weird at a hat that gives slashing. :) A sword that makes you better at taking damage is normal. :)

Samupo likes this.
  8. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

If the hat gave you :dmg_slashing:, its only because its edges were sharpened.. and your character likes to bash his/ her head into enemies.

IanExMachina and Samupo like this.
  9. Null

And a sword giving :armor_asorb: is not. This sword gives magical protection over everything but your sword, reducing damage taken, but not improving blocking in any way.

10. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Right, but it's not about 'true' randomness. It's about designed randomness.

Compare the level generators for these three games:

1. A Maze Game
    This is an example of low designed randomness. The maze generator is a basic algorithm that has very little human design to it.​

2. Minecraft
    This is an example of a medium designed randomness. The world generator algorithm was carefully designed and tweaked to produce mountains, oceans and caves.​

3. Dredmor
    This is an example of high designed randomness. The dungeon generator takes human designed rooms (e.g. the batty cave) and stitches them together.​

Now think about the enchantment system in the same way. Right now we've practically no design at all - every item can get every stat. What Null is proposing is adding some human design into the mix (by making certain classes of item more likely to get particular stats).

Rarefied Horse Meat and Kazeto like this.
  11. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

Alright, I do see your point.. but there should still be some chance of getting ridiculous enchantments, I mean.. would it even be the same game if all your enchantments suddenly started to make sense? I really do tend to love my swords with +4 :sight:, and boots that have :wand_burn: ^^

Samupo likes this.
  12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Read the whole idea Null posted once again, Wi§p.

He wants items to have an increased chance to get relevant bonuses, not to only ever get those, so it would still be possible to get a sword that increases your armour, just less likely for it to happen unless it had an armour enchantment before you kronged it.

13. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

Well.. I guess I must have mis read the opening post then, I was mainly against it because I thought that equipment could only get logical/ appropriate buffs or curses. Thanks for clarifying that, I guess I thought the base weight thing was a value system, and not a relevance system. Anyways, I'll support this, since it could give more depth to what should be given to Krong.

14. Null

Well that's good. I never intended that this completely remove the more random ones. That'd be boring. It'll be much more special when you get :sight: on a pair of gloves and much more fun. Instead of it just being sight you'll have randomly gotten it when you were enchanting gloves, you weren't even trying for it. It's just that it would mean getting more useful stats to what you want. Enchanting a highly magical staff will for instance give combat stats and many more magical staffs than it would give say :trap_level:.

I also realize now that I've missed shields/tomes/orbs, but those could probably be the same as shoes/pants/belts or body.

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Tomes are actually shields, but they have slightly different stats so they would remain "unique" because they'd have slight chance for many things.

16. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

I would personally expect orbs to get more magical stats, and regeneration than anything else.. same with staffs. Tomes should probably be weighted heavily towards resistances/ elemental damage, and weighted against almost everything else.

17. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Perhaps Tomes could have a tiny chance of getting :smithing:, :tinkerer:, :alchemy:, :wand_burn:...

18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

They still have a tiny chance to get that, J-Factor, but the problem with them is that they are (technically) shields right now, so unless a whole new item class got created for them (which I'm not averse to, but I don't think doing that is necessary), they only differ from other shields in that they have different base bonuses.

19. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Not with the current enchantment system. You can't get any crafting stats from Krong.

Well they have a different class name (via overrideClassname="Tome" in the xml).

20. Null

But that leads to fun hardcoding of those types, which is not fun. It's more likely than having this all be put in some xml. And yeah crafting skill aren't possible with this, I just considered them for the purpose of related stats so that things like the tinkering goggles would give stats related to tinkering.