Inspirations for CE?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Createx, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Createx

Createx Member

As soon as my pay comes in I'll hit Amazon for copies of those I haven't read. I have played most of the Impression builders (Pharaoh was the best!) and some Sim City, and I'm starting on Dwarf Fortress.
    I've watched nearly all of Miyazaki's work.
    I feel prepared for anything to come.
    Come at me, Gaslamp Games, I dare you!

OmniNegro likes this.
  2. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

You guys made me read boatmurdered. I'm at Year 1058, right after the magma flood. Ascii graphics are harder to see if there's so many different types of terrain and objects.(Especially the different walls and floorings)
    Edit: Perhaps an Ascii version of Dredmor with the same rooms would be good? I'd love to play Ascii Dredmor.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And now the whole thing has come full circle.

OmniNegro likes this.
  4. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Where once Dredmor was the apprentice, now it is the master. Bwahahahaha...

OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  5. Billick

Billick Member

I read Boatmurdered after reading the PCGamer interview. It made me really want to try Dwarf Fortress. Then I installed DF, and was totally lost. But I will figure it out goshdarnit!

6. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

For everyone who wants to try, a tutorial (bit outdated, but works for the basics):
    http://afteractionreporter.com/2009...newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/

Sorry for offtopic-post, but there is no offtopic forum for CE yet or I would post it there.

Billick likes this.
  7. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I think, since DF is an inspiration for CE and that is the thread topic, this doesn't really count as OT unless it devolves into a DF Help thread.

That said, I think that the off topic forum is meant to be off the topic of all GLG games. And I wouldn't mind seeing a DF tips thread going there...

8. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I think you probably actually meant "Gnarly Hotep". Nyarlathotep was the human-seeming one that did the demonstrations of magical technology that made people go mad. Nyarlathotep was the shape-shifting Egyptian Tesla.

Azathoth was the "amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity". Space amoeba, black hole, nuclear eruption, blind idiot god, force of nature. Azathoth would always look awkward in a tophat... assuming you could even spot the tophat before both it and you were dissolved utterly within the cacophonous cyclopean energies of the volumnous titanic monstrosity. Or something equally archaic and verbose.

But yeah, I'll agree, Gnarly Hotep coming to town would be awesome way to lose a colony. I hope it's a possibility.

OmniaNigrum and Lorrelian like this.
  9. HenrySpock

HenrySpock Member

Yes, spot on, I mis-remembered! :)

10. dtolman

dtolman Member

Love the inspiration list of books.

On the gameplay front, I hope the devs take a look at the venerable city builder Tropico - which is a fascinating game because all of the Tropicans have political affiliations, hunger, happiness and a bunch of other Sims like desires that turn into dynamic gameplay. As a result you can't just order them around, but only steer them in the right direction in many cases through indirect means...

11. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I think you mean Nyarlathotep, not Azathoth

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. HenrySpock

HenrySpock Member

Already mentioned above.

13. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

And also assuming that you could find a tophat big enough.