Idea sharing help and stuff!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Knallis, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Knallis

Knallis Member

Sometimes when I see an idea that I like I'd rather put it into one of my mods myself or tweak it a bit, cuz I'm selfish like that.

Other times I wish I could get help with an idea but I don't want to start a thread about it or ask questions all the time in other peoples threads.

Sometimes I want to share ideas without having to make a single mod for it and clutter up other peoples mod launchers, assuming they too like the idea. What if they are like me and would just put it in themselves?

So I decided to start a thread for these sorts of things for us all to use, to share simple minded modded content and to ask help on them.

So I'm making a crafted item called Diggle Egg Drop Soup. I'm still testing it out. Its crafted from salt, diggle egg, tofu, and infernal empowerment potion. It heals you a bit, and adds a tweaked infernal empowerment that grants hyperborean resistence. "Its the only way to fight a cold, except for chicken soup but there are no chickens around here. Except for maybe you!"

Anyone have a clue how to set it up so that it prevents you from getting diggle flu while under its effects? As far as I can tell the only thing that stops a debuff is the uncurse effect command but that gets rid of everything. In the meantime I set it to just uncurse as a dot over the course of the soup's effects, but it could be great if there is a way to limit it to just a single spell effect instead of all curses.

Edit:
    This whole process has been fascinating. Got my ugly sprites to work right in the game. No matter what order I put my commands in the game will want to make the character eat the soup like all other foods even if the potion command is first, so making him drink it won't work unless its just a potion, or I tell the game it also restores 1 mp, but then it becomes booze and appears in both vending machines and is classified as "booze" even with the classoveride command.

I'm personally content, but I still find it hilarious that my soup pops up all over the damn place. I'm guessing that making the level higher on its star count will make the soup appear less often.

2. Officefanguy

Officefanguy Member

I applaud this idea of idea sharing! For example, I'm thinking of an ice-focused tree, but I am unsure of how to flesh out this idea. I'm thinking some damage, with a focus on crowd control and some defensive things, i.e. ice armor. :p In reference to your Diggle Soup, I dont know of a way offhand to remove a specific debuff. Is there a way to give temporary immunity to debuffs perhaps?

3. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

There is not, at the moment sadly there's no interaction with buffs, which is annoying (other than uncurse). The only way for immunity is an uncurse dot.

4. Knallis

Knallis Member

Yes but that's also a bit too broken since I usually roll necro so I didn't put that in for my soup.

5. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

You could put it in as just a 10% or 20% chance to uncurse a few turns after consumption. Then you'd catch the concept of chicken soup making you better, without it becoming a reliable solution to necro drawbacks.

6. Aristobulus

Aristobulus Member

http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/cooliomancy-1-0-9.2019/

I realize this is sortof thread necromancy, but I think it's important to have a general mod suggestions thread where modders can look for ideas and take on any they like enough to bother with. It's much better than having everyone who has any sort of idea cluttering up the forum with a thread for every individual idea, I think.

What I think would be neat, would be if there were more reptilian based creatures in the game. Personally, I'd like to make a class that's pet based and deals with reptiles and reptilian features, and while I could probably learn how to use the modkit to design some class skills, I'm not an artist to make creatures that aren't in the game.

7. Knallis

Knallis Member

I too have been hoping someone would do a pet based skill tree, although of a more varied set. I hope you eventually have the opportunity to make your reptile pet skill tree though, because that sounds like it would be fun to make and play around with.

8. jadkni

jadkni Member

I'm sort of starting on a set of skills based on Gods in DoD and pulled from other places. Right now I'm struggling with a certain God of Chaos, not sure how I want to implement random actions. I could just cram in a bunch of chances on attack/attacked, but that doesn't seem like the ideal implementation. I'd also like to add a skill that makes him guaranteed to act for a number of turns and another that prevents him from acting, but I don't think that either of those are possible at the minute.

Any ideas on how to implement this?

9. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

The player can be stunned. If that happens, monsters get multiple turns.

10. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

(technically, it's Paralyzed, not stunned. :p )

11. FaxCelestis

Pah! Tomato, tomato.

12. Okay, here's an idea, for somebody who can do weapon art:

The lolipop-gilded sword. The munchkin's wet dream, the ultimate weapon, hands down. Obscenely rare, extremely expensive, and VERY powerful, boosting pretty much every single stat in the entire game. Obviously would be played for laughs, since it's making fun of munchkins. Pretty much the only way to get it would be to steal it from a high-level shop, essentially preventing backtracking.

13. Essence

BTW, can someone explain the classoverride command to me? I haven't come across it...

14. FaxCelestis

overrideClassName is for naming an item something other than what normally goes into that slot. Look at tomes: without overrideClassName="Tome", they'd be called Shields by the game rather than Tomes.

I mostly want it to work on other kinds of item so I can have something act like a potion but be called candy instead, or whatever.

HypnoticSheep and Essence like this.
  15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's used to change the item's slot class name to something of your choosing. For example, tomes are shield-class equipment, but what is shown isn't "Shield" but "Tome", and for that this command was used.
    I actually only found out because I wanted to add a few more tomes as a mod and had to check what kind of equipment was it supposed to be.

PS. I think the worst thing in making new things are icons. It's not that difficult, but it takes some time, sometimes even more than writing code for the mod.

Essence likes this.
  16. Essence

^^ True that, Kazeto. Were it not for my wife's Photoshop lessons and some excellent contributions from Twisted_Polygon (who seems to have vanished, unfortunately), I'd never have gotten EDoDSI&II up and running -- like ever. :D

Also, thanks for the lesson, guys. I love the fact that there's always more to learn here in the Mods section.

17. Onamar

Onamar Member

So if I want to make a spell that gives the player a buff that does a bit of damage around them every turn, I make the spell with the buff info, then I add a trigger to it to activate another spell, which will be the damage effect.

That's all correct, right?

Oh, and will I have to make a trigger for EVERY turn like the "This Root Shall Suffer" buff, except with a 100% chance every time. or is there some sort of trigger that just goes off every turn until the buff fades?

18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Just look at the mushrooms in the original code for that, the one that regenerates health does it by giving you a buff that triggers a healing spell every turn.

19. Onamar

Onamar Member

Oh, okay, thanks. I didn't think to check the regeneration spells.

20. Essence

Dot effects are exactly what you're looking for. they just cast the spell to be dotted every turn. This can get very nasty if you do it to things like Obvious Fireball. :D