Icons and strange hitpoint-loss

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Metaroid, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Metaroid

Metaroid Member

Hi,
    I've got two newbie questions:

1. There are a lot of icons, some of them are on display without tooltips (for example on items). I can decipher a lot of them by looking at the character sheet, but even if I find the icon there I still have to look at the tooltip again and again. Other icons are not on the character sheet (for example the green icon on a Poison Flask, probably means Poison Damage).

Is there an easy method to display names near the icons or a list of icons with explanation somewhere?

2. When I play the Resistances tutorial and the Thermoblobby hits me I get a log message about receiving 2 crushing and 2 conflagratory damage. But my hitpoints go down by 10 for example. Is there some damage that I get that is not mentioned in the log? I see I'm standing in a fire, this might be the reason, but why is there a log if you can't depend on its information?

I assume this is not a bug, as it is too visible. I assume it is me that is misunderstanding something.

2. onesandzeroes

onesandzeroes Member

Yeah, the extra damage you're taking from the Thermoblobby is due to the fire you're standing in. The thermoblobbies will occasionally cast a sort of fire spell when they hit you, creating that fire on the tile. Unfortunately those damages don't show up in the log (other examples are poison gas clouds, acid puddles, etc.) Sometimes you'll see small flickering flames on corpses-those don't hurt you, but the bigger fires will damage you every round you're on them.

As for the icons on items, I'm not sure that there's any definitive in-game way to find out about them. The main thing to learn is that square damage type icons mean you'll do that kind of damage when the item's equipped, whereas circle damage type icons mean you'll have resistances to that type of damage.

Marak likes this.