BETA 51 I just realized....

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Jacq, May 21, 2016.

1. Jacq

Jacq Member

Bricabrac is the "same" item made of different stuff. Wooden things don't need specific "bricabrac (wood)"

I am so annoyed with myself.

Please tell me I'm not the only one.

2. Unforked

Unforked Member

You are not alone.

I only make bricabrac from the carpentery workshop, because I'm lazy and wood is usually plentiful. I just dedicate one workbench to it and go nuts.

I've never even tried to make it anywhere else. I did think they were different bricabracs.

Jacq likes this.
  3. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Yeah, there's also:
    • Clay + Stone
    • Glass panes
    • Iron ingots (maybe copper too)
    • Gold ingots
    • Just buy decor items (rugs from Novorus trader probably the best)

4. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

Glass and stone bricabac is probably the best midgame replacement for wood brica, since the cermacist has comparatively little demand on his time in the current game, as opposed to the woodshop. You just need a productive mine crew.

Metal is probably too valuable as trade goods to ever be wasted on brica. Spare iron plates currently sell for over 1000, with which you can buy whatever you need.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  5. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

I usually just buy metal parts straight as I think the glass trade value spam still works in this version, only that you now need a brick kiln. If that works properly this time.

If you trade glass panes for say Rugs/Carpets, you'll get a lot more +decor out of it.

6. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

I guess that just assumes the +quality bricabac items show up with the traders. I don't see rugs too often. Aggressive diplomacy could maximize the chances by spamming traders from a nation likely to carry them, but it seems more expedient to me to just build them, freeing diplo points for other uses.

After building a few key items and a pile or two of bricks, the ceramicist doesnt have much else to do in the game at present. Might as well put them to work.

Meanwhile hematite is plentiful and valuable when crafted into items.

7. Selly1

Selly1 Member

I usually end up making multiple carpentry shops because of this. In my latest game I'm seeing what it's like when starting with two Carpentry shops straight away.

8. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

Another reason switching to glass bricabac mid-game is appealing, is because you get 2 brica per 3 glass, as opposed to 1 brica per 3 wood planks. If you have a productive mine crew (which you should), you'll always have glass within short walking distance, as opposed to wood which your colonists take longer and longer to travel to as the game goes on.

[Edit} This looks like it might be incorrect. It's what the recipes says, but it may be a typo as it seems to only produce 1BB per 3glass.

9. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

You will have plenty of diplo points to use, it's fine. Actually it is using the ceramics person more as you get more from your glass by converting it into bottles and then trading it than using stuff raw.

The rugs come from a specfic trader and are like +4 quality for 270 TV compared to other decor which are only +1 for like 200 (or equivalent bricabrac TV). They're a really good deal worth spending the novorus trader summoning points for.

The recipie tooltips are always wrong when the output is more than 1 (see: Cook Basic food?)

While it takes 4 bricabrac to get +4 decor, if you sell that gold bar you can buy 4 rugs which get you +16 decor.

10. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

*Shrugs* The time I get a foreign office up and running with enough staff to accumulate points at more than a trickle is usually about the time I have a ceramics shop that has already produced its key items and has little else to do other than make glass by the truckload. With 2-3 mines running sand is basically limitless and there was no problem having enough to make bricabrac and still have plenty to sell if you wanted to go that route (at least, if the trade depot didn't currently crash the game when trying to use it).

Demand for bricabrac is most keenly felt in the early game when youre rapidly expanding and wood is your best source. By the time you get a powerful diplo farm going and forced the other factions to peace, demand is significantly reduced, and I don't see any reason to pay for something I can easily make for "free" at the reduced rate I require by midgame. I'd rather save my trade money for rare ores/metal goods.

Just goes to show theres more than one way to bric a brac in CE. Besides, a plentiful midgame resource giving you basically unlimited purchase power is clearly a money exploit, and won't be around forever. On the other hand, they will also hopefully find better uses for glass and for the Cermacist's time. So who knows what it will look like a week from now.

Always? Some recipes definitely give you more than 1 output. Glass, for instance. The metal bricabac recipes are supposed to output 4 BB, but cant be confirmed right now because theyre bugged.

11. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

The tooltips are usually just "costs" -> 1 output

That's a lazy copout as this is about what we have now.

Besides I was waiting for a long time for that to change but still not. Maybe this post will be the one that gets it noticed.

12. Jacq

Jacq Member

I guess I don't want to buy/build carpets just because they're the most efficient. Maybe my colonists would rather have a nice bookshelf or cabinet or pray at a little wall shrine? The game isn't so knuckle-bitingly difficult that you have to minmax everything from day one. If you wanna, sure, but it's not the only way to do things.

I just honestly thought "bricabrac (wood)" and "bricabrac (glass)" were different things, and that you couldn't make a cabinet (for example) out of glass bricabrac.

13. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

No, all the bricabrac recipes give you the same output.

You can also buy stuff like Wooden Plinith and those animal heads from traders, which in a way isn't too ba (the animal heads are wallshrines, but without distracting praying colonists). Maybe colonists should start praying at stuffed beetle heads (especially beetle lovers)

Jacq likes this.
  14. Jacq

Jacq Member

I've been trying to make those heads for ages!! I can't wait until we can build them ourselves (but traders are good too).
    (I really want to make a Church of Beetlology)

15. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

Whoa there. I was just trying to be "diplomatic". Thought you'd appreciate that ;)

You've forgotten more about this game than I'll ever know. I just think that in this case there's more than one good solution to the bricabac supply problem. Personally, in a game in large part about creating supply chains so you can build stuff, I'm just not interested in buying everything I need. For people like me who prefer to have their colony be as independent as possible and build what they need, there's other ways.

16. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Be direct if I am, I spent time checking that the mechanics were still unchanged and was a bit disappointed to see it was the same as before. Oh well

I spent too long in the desert needing to buy wood nearly from the very start. Apparently there's one other biome which also has a similar problem.

Right now, the mines (an infinite source) should give clay and stone in the perfect ratio for bricabrac, while Sand is otherwise u=not very useful (but it can be processed for a ton of Trade Value).

17. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

I could be imagining things, but it seemed like gold chunks were nerfed. I dont see anything in the patchnotes, but the trade I just made native gold was only worth 150.

Never mind. Got confused and thought they were gold ingots.

And yeah, my statements were made assuming a wooded embark area. I wouldn't even want to try and play with the current bricabac system without abundant wood resources.