I hate Steam. Can someone explain if Gamefly is the same or different?

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by OmniaNigrum, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I am not a fanboy either -- I am someone who appreciates positive experiences and triies to avoid companies that give me negative experiences. And Steam has never given me any reason to avoid them, plus I love the convenience of using them.

I can understand if a person has had a negative experience, not wanting to do business with a company -- there are several companies that fall into that category for me as well. For me, and for a lot of other people, Steam just does not happen to be one of those companies.

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Jesus 'Effing Christ... Number one thing is that I did not doublepost. I posted a reply to Daynab and later in the same day, by sheer chance there was a reply to my post elsewhere that was quasi-related. So I posted again.

Number two I am not sure you bothered to read what I said at all. The Game will not work without Steam is one thing. The game will not install off the disc was the whole point of the posts on Amazon. Telling me that I can run the executable itself is great. Thanks for that grand revelation. Now please bother to read my post again if you care to have your say too. You cannot run the executable without downloading the whole damned game. No, not just a patch. The whole thing.

So for this specific example, your advice fails. I thank you for the suggestion, but you go on to show that I am a moron who hates Steam the Great without good reason, and in reality, you are sounding pretty damned arrogant to me. You realize there was more than just the initial post involved in the whole thread on Amazon? I ask because if you only read the first post that would explain why you did not understand the rest of the story. I did not link in each and every post. They were all there to see.

You are certainly free to say your part, but if you are going to put as little thought into this then I beg you to unwatch this thread so we can avoid the argument.

3. Warlock

Warlock Member

After reading through this entire thread, all I have to say is this:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on what product(s) they wish to use. Dissing someone else for their choice in not wanting to use Steam just smacks of "HURR DURR MY OPINION > YOUR OPINION TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT". When someone does not want to use a service, that decision should be respected. And Shadowplay, backseat moderating someone else's comments and posts as part of your reply, when it is clearly irrelevant to the matter, seems to be an excellent example of a straw man to me. That isn't counting the other straw man at the end where you declare "No amount of double posting will change my opinion about Steam" either. You've got an opinion, keep it, but try and distance yourself in a less aggressive manner.

TL;DR

Aegho, Kazeto and OmniNegro like this.
  4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

To be clear, I *Do* use Steam. But I do not let it run automatically. I keep it from running until I need it for something.

I hate Steam like many do. I could give a whole list of reasons, but there is no point. It is like giving a list of reasons one person is better than another. It is nothing more than an opinion.

I do not hate people who use Steam. Rather I hate the people I call fanboys because they cannot understand my opinion by choice. There is nothing worse than willful ignorance. But note that I am not calling you a fanboy or saying you are willfully ignorant Shadowplay. I just do not understand your prospective. (That is why I pointed out there was more to the story than my post in the link. The closest I can come to understanding what you say to make sense is that you may not have read the rest.)

At current I have Steam installed. I will uninstall it once I no longer foresee a use of it in the near future. (But I foresee the next expansion being initially available through Steam, and I want to grab it once it becomes available.)

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

This thread is by definition slapfight bait (from both sides of the argument) and there wasn't really any good reason to necro it.

Besides, even when this thread was active a few months ago the "I hate steam" posts kept happening elsewhere also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.