I am still in love with this game.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by SkyMuffin, Dec 1, 2012.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I know I have made threads like this in the past, but REALLY. This game is wonderful and even 600 hours into it I am still discovering and learning new things about it. It is by far the most enjoyment I've gotten out of any game, especially considering how cheap it was on Steam.

I JUST LOVE THIS GAME AHHH thank you for making this. I feel like I will probably never get bored of this game. I might get tired from playing it too much every now and then, but I will always have a desire to come back to it.

TheJadedMieu, Giygas, Kazeto and 2 others like this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear it :)

3. Well now I'm curious as to what you somehow missed for 600 hours of gameplay.

4. mining

mining Member

*everything*

Anyway, there's so many skill combos, you'll miss all of them :).

Vitellozzo likes this.
  5. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

This is exactly what I think about this game. It's amazingly fantastic.

6. Shreeper

Shreeper Member

"Only" 100 hours here but I have to agree. It's just too satisfying to see your character grow and unlock new possibilities in terms of skills, spells and items while facing odds that are, mostly, against you. Now it may just be my love for roguelikes in general that makes me keep on comming back but the humor and the fact that the game ends before it gets boring but still goes on for long enough for you to feel like it's worth getting invested in your soon-to-be-either-dead-or-legendary-communist-pirate-capitalist.

Although it would be nice with new skills/monsters/items/rooms or at the least a rebalance of a number of underachieving skills, namely Werediggle, it's an awesome skill but it's just not worthy of a slot as it is now.
    - And before somebody baaaws at me with "i beat dredmor wif a diggle at goin rouge theyre fine!! D:<"; so did I, twice, and both times I ended up pretty much not caring about anything but the free Eggs.

I would've mentioned the modding community and how it prolongs the game but frankly I'm only using Interior Dredmorating as it appears like it's the only mod out there without horrible artwork or terrible balance issues (overpowered isn't fun dangit!). Would love to be proven wrong though if anybody knows of an awesome mod or two, although I reckon that's not the most fitting topic here.

PS: ...gief robe wearing player sprites plox kthxbai.

Kazeto and Vitellozzo like this.
  7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I've barely touched these skilltrees:
    • Paranormal Investigator
    • Magical Law
    • Math
    • Piracy
    • Warlock
    • Wandcrafting
    • Communism
    • Demonology
    • Daggers
    And I'm still learning about encrust strategies. And Vlad Digula and how to beat him.
    Also, many many mods.

8. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

It could be useful if you will tell me which mods did you tested, since I tried lots of great mods both for funny and useful mechanics, without killing big D. a single damned time, after the first one.
    At least try those:
    Roguish Renovation (+rooms, +items, +3 wonderful skills)
    Sweet Sweet Swag (willy wonka themed mod, 1 skill and cool items as candies)
    Compleat Essentials Pack (10 [soon 11] skills for all sort of tastes)
    Grave Digger (game needed a anti-undead skill)
    Runecaster (caster without spells, crafter without crafts - a true new way to fight enemies)
    Summoner (it also adds more gods)
    War Weaver (let it handle all those mana points you don't use)
    Fairy Princess (I REALLY cannot BELIEVE how MUCH FUN I have each time my character is a little princess of flower joy)
    Wind Magic (THE utility)
    Dire Gourmand (drink your enemies)
    Horrid Thing (one of the best polymorph skills, have synergy with werediggle too)
    I'd say also FAXPAX but on this forum I've read that it has some balance issues (anyway it's still funny and it adds skills, rooms, items, monsters, traps and two low level diggle gods).
    But really, there are lot's of other skill trees funny to take and play with.

Essence is working for this. And we are giving a hand, too!

Shreeper and Kazeto like this.
  9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yup, we all love this game. Or love to hate it when our character died to something stupid, only to get back to it the next day.

Vitellozzo likes this.
  10. Shreeper

Shreeper Member

Already knew about the vast majority of those and have tried them and sadly they all suffer from -horrendous- balance issues and/or... umm, ugly artwork. The exception being Horrid Thing which was, as far as I understood, bugged and caused gamecrashes although it seems like that's no longer an issue.

...as for the Essence working on a fix thing I'm intrigued and want to hear more.

11. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Balance issues like...? I could help with some deeper info.
    Anyway, tastes are tastes. Here you are, for the final mod of doom being scripted those days (weeks really).
    There's a rebalance of multiple skills (here are the download of core DoD and RotDG is just a little down - keep in mind that those are just momentaneus, and more tweaks will come) and the beta of a soon-out-of-the-screen patch for the weapon skills (this one is finished, as I can tell you, and it changes the essence of weapon skills).
    And, if you want a little more from werediggle, my fix to Diggle Plague could help you (it changes the spell from being a weak casted debuff into the same weak debuff randomly casted upon melee hits, both targethit and playerhit - and it sometimes can deal some minor :dmg_toxic: damage and procs a little cloud for more little damage; I will someday post it on a personal discussion, if essence will not add it to his rebalance).

Kazeto likes this.
  12. mining

mining Member

Yah, tell me whats wrong with war weaver so I can im/explode it :)

Vitellozzo and Essence like this.
  13. Shreeper

Shreeper Member

Well, a lot of the previously mentioned mods tends to be so utterly terrified of not getting used by the player that the creator jams up the power of the skills/items/whatnot to a ridiculous level with little to know regards for the main game. Basically creating a "mod meta" where mods are based off one another rather than the main game itself, which is bad game balance. Roguish Renovation, just mentioning it as it is the topmost mod on your list, is a brilliant example thereof with items that are way better than what the main game provides, for instance the Orb of Radiance which can be crafted at Alchemy level 2 (I think) and has far superior stats to pretty much all other craftable orbs.
    - No offense to the modmakers of course.

Nothing personal, I just don't really dig the art style. Seems a tad off when compared to the other skills in the game because... well, it's too darn pretty. :p

On the subject of artwork I'm actually kind of embarrased. You see, I make a living out of selling my artwortk (homemade avatar yo') and while I'd love to offer to help people with art for their new mods provided that they need some, or tinker with making my own mods if I ever figure out how to mod, I have absolutely no idea about how to do... well, anything on a computer. :oops:

14. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

QFT.

TheJadedMieu and Vitellozzo like this.
  15. mining

mining Member

Other than the cover art, everything else is taken directly from the in game files? I'm not sure I understand.

16. Shreeper

Shreeper Member

Ohh, my bad, thought Warweaver was another mod. Actually it's kinda odd that people don't use the ingame art for their mods more often seeing how there's tons of artwork that's used exclusively for achivements that'd look pretty kewl on a random skill or two.

...also speaking of achievements I just got "The Sea is a Cruel Misstress" by drowning myself with the Daggers skill.

Vitellozzo likes this.
  17. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I thought that the main game icons were heavily abused from modders.
    And anyway, I, instead, strongly prefer user-made icons. It means that you put yourself into play (I'm not sure if such speech figure exist in english) and, after all, those are mods, not a attempt of recreating core vanilla stuff (and because of this I've said before "tastes are tastes").

Kazeto likes this.
  18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I'm not sure I'm in love with the game itself still, after about 98hrs. It's... more like a friends-with-benefits relationship. I might get off with it every so often, for short periods before taking longer breaks, but I still think it's got a great style and so on.

Wait... did I just sexualise a game?

19. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Likely, yes. But is that really a bad thing?

20. Onyonizor

Onyonizor Member

After a boring run, which I chose to terminate myself, today, I started a new one and soon after on the first floor I encountered a mysterious portal. After entering it, and quickly realizing that maybe I should have leveled up once or twice more before stepping through the portal, I quickly fell back to my vegan charm to persuade my animal friends into fighting the baddies. But soon I realized that embarking on this uncertain quest might be worthwhile because lo and behold there in the first room lay the Bolt Eruptor. I was pleased, since finding a trusty crossbow early on in your adventure can be hard and this will certainly suit my needs for the better part of my adventure. Pleased with my new-found toy I ventured into the next room. After a though battle with couple of hp left I opened the only chest in the room and after learning what I have found I silently stood by the chest contemplating on what I have just found. After equipping the Monofiliment Sword I felt the adrenaline pumping through my veins, and quickly went to dispatch the nearest monster that I could find. Though in my excitement I had forgot to heal and quickly faced my inevitable death, never even killing one monster with my awesome sword.

I hated the game for a good half hour after that. Then started two consecutive runs and in both I was killed within 15 minutes due to my recklessness. I guess I still felt that rush from from the sweet loot I found in that mysterious dungeon. Now, some 2 hours after my loss I only can think of all the what ifs. Could I have made it out alive? Were there other epic items to be found in the other rooms? But all that is pointless now, I need to rest now and maybe tomorrow I will fire up this awesome game once again.