Hype thread

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by convolutedthinker, Sep 14, 2013.

1. What feature is everyone most excited for? Does anyone plan to volunteer for beta testing if Gaslamp turns to the forums for testers? Any plans for FUN! brewing in the backs of anyones minds? Or anything else that you've wanted to talk about that hasnt been mentioned yet in another thread? :)

Kazeto and Xyvik like this.
  2. Personally I can't wait to see more about airships and trade with the capital, immigrants arriving will be fun as well.

3. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

Well, according to my other post it's fairly obvious that I want to see all of the horrible ways our fun little colonists can die. Other than that I am extremely eager to find out the details of making a colony self-sufficient. We know there is farming and mining, but what other goods can our colony produce?

Kazeto and convolutedthinker like this.
  4. I'm excited to see all the little interactions between colonists and if they get along or don't and I can't wait to learn more about how that works

5. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

Definitely! I'm hoping there are at least a few colony "types" that can't stand each other, like Poets and Scientists, and that in colonies with a touch of madness in them these personality conflicts can lead to outright war. I hope, anyway. At the very least it'll be very interesting to see just how that'll work.

6. Does anyone know if beta testing is coming up soon or is that a long ways away still? I'd be up for helping to root out some bugs!

7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Still a while away.

8. I see, that makes sense. I know gaslamp will deliver a great experience even in beta nonetheless!

9. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

I´m most interested in the squad based military system. Can´t wait to see it in action.

10. I'm mostly looking forward to bringing back strange and powerful artifacts that I find while exploring. I can't help but imagine the fun it'll bring.

convolutedthinker likes this.
  11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Building colonies in general, along with random events which deplete sanity.

Oh, and there's the fact that, in terms of Dwarf Fortress, every work-group effectively has their own monarch, probably just as mentally stable as nobles in DF tend to be.

I wouldn't really since between the low amount of time for this sort of thing and between me spending too much time with programming as an acquaintance of mine (which means I wouldn't be able to "creatively break the game in ways only players can") I likely wouldn't be able to help in any way with finding bugs and such.
    But I shall cheer the beta-testers, if it helps any.

Does "we'll try to dominate the world and build a coliseum where natives will fight as gladiators for my amusement" count?

12. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

After reading the last update I must say that I am VERY excited for the gossip system. It´s strange that no game has tried something like this before (or at least I don´t know any, maybe DF had something like this but not that visible). WOuld be great for games like Skyrim, too. Imagine murdering a random person and the guards on the other side of the world DON´t imediately know who did it. I think I´ll open a new thread about this feature.

13. Mordy

Mordy Member

I like the concept of failure being a part of a game, the thing i dislike most about any City Builder is when you reach the comfort zone. Your city is so stable and making so much income you can basically walk away from your screen and let the game play itself. Anyone who is a veteran of the genre probably knows exactly what i'm talking about.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    convolutedthinker likes this.
  14. The old sim city curse

15. Mordy

Mordy Member

Hah, that's pretty awesome, is that the official term for it? Should be.

16. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

That's why, typically, all my Sim City creations way-back-when would end with Godzilla treating my city like an all-you-can-eat buffet/barbecue..

17. muddyhawk

muddyhawk Member

I'm excited about the process to reach the level of self sustainability, and see what clever things are thrown into the mix to prevent the simcity curse. A combination of intrinsic disasters within the population and your military getting tested. End game is very important to this genre. A goal to reach for after surviving.

18. Wootah

Wootah Member

Most excited thing? Diversity. I am going to make a list of all the various weird stuff or problems I have each and every playthrough. It will be so awesome. Hopefully there will be so many scenarios and so many things that can play off eachother the list will take years before similar stuff starts surfacing again.

Kind of like playing dredmor and choosing skill tree combinations.

convolutedthinker and Kazeto like this.
  19. addictgamer

addictgamer Member

Most exciting feature:
    Multiplayer. My dream for the past half-decade has been to experience the insanity of Dwarf Fortress with my friends. Clockwork Empires makes that dream possible.
    Please don't tell me somebody decided to not implement this feature. I would be very disappointed.

Beta testing:
    Sign me up right now. One of the best parts about playing an in-dev game is the hilarious bugs.

FUN!? I can't wait to see how all the colonists will react to every last idea I can come up with. I also can't wait to see how my friends' playstyles and mine mash together to create an utter monstrosity of FUN! Yes, yes, if it's not obvious yet, that is what I await most eagerly.

Kazeto, convolutedthinker and Xyvik like this.
  20. Mystrogak

Mystrogak Member

This is my first post on the forums, or any games forum for that matter: So the title "Hype Thread" pretty much describes why I'm here. I've read all of the weekly posts, this company has been making on their website and i must say I'm very excited for the release of this title. I hadn't heard of Boatmurdered before i saw the GDC interview, i have now diligently read the whole thing and laughed so hard i may have embarrassed myself in my university library on more than one occasion. I didnt know where else to say this, but i am really hyped for this title, and want to say hats of to the dev team; may the critics be kind and fair.

The most exciting feature I'm looking forward to: The general aesthetic, humour and lovecraftian tropes. I really dig this whole theme and think it makes for a wonderful branch and alternate history. From a gameplay perspective im looking forward to: Building an empire, watching it burn, and realizing; oh thats why it broke down lets start again and avoid that. Oh dear now its worse, but why <-- when i work out why, and it turns out to be some characters weird trait ( something inline with the aesthetics previously praised) and it is something i could have prevented, this will give me a huge smile and massive nerd chills!

-----Your own personal "Take on the world"-----

Daynab, Kazeto and convolutedthinker like this.