Humble Bundle V

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Daynab, May 31, 2012.

1. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Hey guys, check out the new Humble Bundle
    Lots of good games. 3 in there I've been meaning to get (psychonauts, superbrothers and limbo) 1 I really, really liked (Bastion) and Amnesia which I know is good for people who don't mind horror games though I don't like it.

Bastion was my favorite game of the year last year.

OmniNegro and Loswaith like this.
  2. deek

deek Controller of Bits Staff Member

Don't forget all the glorious soundtracks!

3. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

deek likes this.
  4. blob

blob Member

And there's an indie royal out too, somehow didnt get mail about it.
    This humble bundle is amazing but I already own all the games, duh !

5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I don't own any of these games and some of them are ones I've definitely been curious about. Thanks for the heads-up!

6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, I bought it for Psychonauts and Bastion (even though I probably won't have any time to play those until next spring or something), other than that we'll see what's inside.

Also, Dead Pixels from Indie Royale is amusing.

7. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

I got the lot, I've been interested in a bunch of those games but not at the price they were individually. I had bastion but now I can get others to play it too.

Worth checking out if you are even interested in any of the games, also even if you dont get Bastion the sound track is well worth it even outside the game (not certain about the other OSTs).

8. blob

blob Member

Sword and sorcery's awesomeness is greatly due to its brilliant soundtrack. Dont miss it.

9. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

I think I'll get this one, I've got enough time for the payday to come.

10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Honestly most of the last few bundles seemed worthless. S&S may be good, but it struck me as poorly represented. It looks like it was made for cellular phones, and makes grandiose claims about every aspect of it. Yet in all the videos I saw, it fails to deliver on anything more than horribly pixelated artwork and perhaps good music.

I have enough good music to last a lifetime. And most of it is older than I am. I do not listen to music in games.

Psychonaughts seems interesting though, but I cannot see any real appeal even in it. But it was the closest in the last few bundles to catching my eye.

If anyone gets the bundle and tries the games, please let us know what you think of S&S and Psychonaughts. (Others may even want to hear more about the rest too, but I could not care less for the rest.)

*Edit* As blob said above, there is an "Indie Royal" now.

I am buying it for "Dead Pixels". That looks like that old Nintendo game "River City Ransom" except that it is zombies and guns instead of cliche schoolkids and fists.

I really only posted this part to include the link for the Indie Royal. (Any search engine should find it, but you need not bother with that mess.)

11. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I have Psychnauts from on old. It's a really fun game at least until I got stuck in the circus level. I tried for days to get past that level and couldn't. When you fail before reaching the end, you are dumped right back at the beginning of that level. That level is my one hatred of the game. I don't know if any subsequent patches have done anything to that level or not but I played a lot of the game up to that point and tended to love it. I am going to try it out again and see if I can get past that level or not. That's the only one I have played.

12. NaiDriftlin

NaiDriftlin Member

The artwork and gameplay is a throwback to games like Flashback and Out of this World. They're interesting if you like story driven games, but don't expect it to get your heart pumping.

Psychonaughts fits the line of games like Banjo Kazooie and Conker. It has great chuckle-worthy dialogue, but the game play it self lacks compared to many other games in the same genre. I'm a bit ashamed to admit I was falling asleep during a boss fight.

Limbo is an alright 2D platformer. Gameplay wise, it doesn't offer much unique, but it does have a unique atmosphere(It's mostly black, white, and grey.)

The two stars of this pack are Amnesia and Bastion.

Amnesia is a First Person puzzle/exploration game. The game's puzzles aren't exceptionally complex, but the atomsphere and storytelling will get your blood going. The game is easily one of the most terrifying games I've ever played. Personal gushing aside, the game prioritizes perception and stealth, with heavy emphasis on 'light'(think lantern light) and sanity mechanics.

Bastion is a colorful isometric action RPG with a unique(to games) story delivery. Bastion uses a persistent narrator to deliver the story, and the narrator is a smooth and deep voice that's speaks over an amazing soundtrack. The game is linear, but it really helps the pacing of the story stay in tact. There's a few 'side missions', a basic craft/upgrade system, dozens of combinations of combat styles, and challenging and engaging enemies. It also has a fluid difficulty system that allows you adjust the challenge of the game far beyond "Easy-Normal-Hard."

If anyone is considering getting this Humble Bundle, paying over the average and getting Bastion + Amnesia is well worth it, by themselves. Amnesia by itself justifies any amount under the average.

13. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I have two extra copies of The Ship from IndieRoyale...anyone interested? (Steam only)

OmniNegro likes this.
  14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I did the Indie Royal too. So by all means, let us both know if you want the free stuff. As a matter of fact, I am almost certain I do not want most of the pack. I will look through it and see what I can spare. But those "Extra Steam codes" are entirely redundant for me. I will never use them or even Steam. I can grab the downloads for the IR from the site itself. No need for the Steam side of things except if some of the games require a Steam code to access.

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Well, it was out on iPhone/iPad for some time before the PC port happened. And it's actually really, really good looking. It's really old-style art, but with a modern twist. You have to see it full screen to really appreciate it, but even then the true beauty is in the audio design for it.
    [​IMG]

I'd have done this bundle but I've got Psychonauts and Sword & Sworcery, and I don't want the others.

blob likes this.
  16. Tycho

Tycho Member

blob likes this.
  17. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

So Kongregate had Dead Pixels, hmmmm. I wonder if it's like the other games I sometimes find on there that are missing parts in order to get you to purchase it? I don't have their new Unity3D plug-in so I can't play it. I pretty much am giving up on installing all the plug-ins that these sites seem to require as I just don't need them and don't trust them anymore. It's just another easy path for viruses to infect my machine. Since I don't install plug-ins and such willy-nilly, I have only had maybe 2 viruses in over 30 years of computing. And both of those were when viruses were new and exciting. :)

My mother keeps wanting me to get coupons from the web for her. She has a system of her own that my dad and I set up for her but the thing has gone dog slow on her. Literally more than a minute between a click and seeing anything happen on it. I have told her that I am not installing any of that crap coupon software on my system. She keeps saying that everyone does it and my reply is that so many of those people are also the type to end up having bad viruses on their systems too. She does get a little miffed at me about that but I refuse to be taken by these sites.

Oh, and if your wondering why I haven't fixed her computer yet. Her computer is in a really inaccessable spot. She literally has to move dozens of pounds of stuff whenever she wants to even use the keyboard and mouse. Plus my dad has no idea where the restore disk that came with the computer are so we can't just do a fresh install either. It uses the old windows XP media center from HP (I think it's an HP computer) from like 10 years or so ago. The computer would work fine except the system has been on there since it was purchased by my dad and when he gave it to her to use he had already been using it for 4 or 5 years. So then his accumulated cruft got along with her sudden surge of accumulation in order to get these coupons and such and her unsafe surfing ways have pretty much guaranteed that her system is probably massively infected. Oh well, someday we may be able to reach it and if we can find the restore disks, it will be time to wipe and start anew.

18. blob

blob Member

S&S is indeed one of the most beautiful pixel art game done in a while. Its for the look and audio that I highly recommend the game, the gameplay itself is actually pretty boring (you pretty much just walk during the whole game). Its all about the ambiance.
    Its funny, dead pixel is the one game of both bundles where I thought " this looks like complete garbage."

Nuff zombies already anyway.

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I was interested, but I too saw the unity required crap and gave up. I too will not install garbage because a site says I must. I also refuse to "Join" a site that offers something I will likely only use one time. That is the sole reason I cannot read the documentation for Everway from the thread here:
    http://community.gaslampgames.com/t...ed-everway-on-forum-rpg-signup-surround.3410/

I do not use active antiviral software. In fact, I do not trust anything that intentionally runs in the background without actually benefiting me. Antiviral software is unable to prevent viruses anyway. It is like a person wearing a condom and thinking they are immune to disease because of it. It leads to disease over a long enough time. I have seen stupid kids run known virus riddled software thinking they were immune because they had an AV suite installed. Guess what? They were infected. 99.99999% of virii are stupidly obvious. I just avoid them and I have no trouble.

The one and only time I recall having a virus was when I tried something stupid thinking it was 50/50. But I had decided it was worth the risk since I had everything on the system archived and it had been years since my last install. Once I saw it was a virus I shut the PC down and reformatted the drives and reinstalled everything I used. Problem solved.

Of the Indie Royal, half of it is a bait and switch. Airmech sounded good, but it is an alpha game pretending to be a beta and it has a store. Yes, you read right. It sells crap for real money to use in game. It may be fully possible to play through the whole thing without buying anything in the store, but these things are bad omens that get worse and worse over time as greed corrupts them. I uninstalled it and gave the keys to another on the forums here.

Literally anytime I see a "Store" selling crap for a single player or multiplayer game I uninstall on the spot. Some rich newbie kid who spent $100 of mommy and daddy's money can always wipe the deck with you if you care for the multiplayer part. And the single player game will not be better since they have a motive to manipulate you into spending money to make it easier. By the time it is final there will probably be no way to play fairly through the single player campaign.

*Edit* And yes, Dead Pixels sucked hard too. I played through it in an hour or so. And I have no interest in shooting 10K zombies in the harder difficulties to see if it is better than the easy mode I played through.

20. blob

blob Member

I used to do the same, but then I swear you can miss out on some cool stuff. Some people now try to make games as free as possible and make stores only to sell non gameplay related stuff. They only sell cosmetics and things like that, which is cool because you can really play the whole game for free without having to buy anything to get a better game experience.
    What changed my mind on store based games is the very recent Path of Exile. You probably wont be interested since you're into Diablo in the first place but what I mean is that you can find quality games with stores. Just check what the store sells first :)

Seems to be the same case with Starforge too.