How long did it take you to beat the game the first time?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by CheeseToast, Feb 13, 2012.

1. CheeseToast

CheeseToast Member

[​IMG]
    I'm 40 hours in an have only ever got to floor 6. Am I really bad? Has anybody else not yet beaten the game? (And I'm not talking about the RotDG floors, just the original 10)

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I think the first play-through in which I managed to kill Dredmor lasted about 22~23 hours. But before that I wasted thrice that amount in other play-throughs learning what to do not to die on the way down.

3. [​IMG]
    Want to guess how many times I've beaten the game?
    That's right
    Zero

I only play on GRPD, but I've only made it to floor 10 once (with RotDG on) and this was only two days ago. I think the reason for that is because I've only recently changed up my play style. I used to be so conservative with food and other items that I wouldn't use them and just ended up dying over and over again. Can't be like that if you want to make it down deeper. I'm sure I'm getting close though, as I've been getting deeper more often in my most recent runs.

Marak likes this.
  4. blob

blob Member

I finished the game in 20 hours but that was in DMPD. As Bunny suggested, do not hesitate to use your items. Its a common mistake to keep a ton of goodies and try to keep them for something " bigger".
    I dont know if you re always using the same skills but try testing a bunch of skill combination until you find a type that looks promising to you and stay with it for a few games.
    Dont be too specialized, its good to have a lil bit of magic usually and shoot stuff from far if you re in trouble.

Floor 6 is not too bad, a lot of people die on floor 3 with the octos.

5. CheeseToast

CheeseToast Member

Yeah, I do hoard my consumables a lot, and I often die with a load of food on me.
    I get bored of the skills quickly and with a few exceptions, (archaeology for exp and traps, pyro as it just powerful), I use different skills each time.
    Most of my deaths are on the 2nd or 3rd floor mainly though traps or those awful magic potatoes.
    Are the RotDG levels hard or easy once you have all the good gear?

6. Chopkinsca

Chopkinsca Member

My first(and only) Dredmor kill was on Elvish easy. 41 hours in and the furthest I made it on DMPD is DL9. Before that floor, I was owning everything. Maybe my fire resist was too low or something.

7. It took me about 54 hours, iirc. But I explore every nook and cranny.
    I also was on my 2nd character, Dwarven and a lot of reloads.
    Total hours in the Steam game, 78.1. In reality it is more like 100.

Steam pisses me off by "getting in my way", just generally sucking and I often don't use it with DoD.
    Steam has upset me within the last hour (again), so sorry for the Steam (re)Ranting.

8. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

To be perfectly honest, I've never actually seen Dredmor. It's not that I couldn't, it's that I regularly get bored with my character, update a mod and crash my saves, or otherwise somehow screw myself out of winning for entirely out-of-game reasons. I've had at least two dozen characters get to whatever flood Dredmor was on, only to somehow fail before ever actually seeing him. :)

ElectricMessiah likes this.
  9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I kind of have to agree with that. I only saw Dredmor before I got to know that there are mods for DoD. After that, nay.

10. Sturgeon

Sturgeon Member

I finished vanilla DoD at ~150 hours and RotDG shortly thereafter, both on Dwarvish Moderation.

All you need is a build with Promethean Magic and Ley Walker/Blood Mage.

Oh, and remember to select "Disable click to move", after getting the hang of the basics in the beginning I was my own worst enemy, running into my own firewalls and such.

After the above, trap detection/disabling ftw :)

11. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Dude, how do you finish the game with a negative time?

EDIT: Why does your tilde appear as a dash in your post but not my quote?

Why am I even asking these questions?

Loswaith, Essence, Wisse and 2 others like this.
  12. Giraffe

Giraffe Member

I never really have, yet. I, by principle, only play dwarfish moderation (or going rogue) and I'm still fooling around with the many different skill combinations and having a sloppy playstyle at times (and slow, mostly, exploring every level fully before going any further..)

I came really far with the typical promethean/bloodmage/ley walker build, which is kind of overpowered IMO. But then I accidentally set a shopkeeper on fire and didn't know you had to kill the Braxes or go to another level to stop the Dread Collectors from spawning....I died evetually, but I took down at least 15 of those bastards using everything I had. Great fun. Now I'm back to storming around with various weredigger builds (last one died because I accidentally triggered a Pit lever without clearing the room first, which already had a boss in it from a quest, who kept dodging all my attacks), because that's a lot of fun as well.

I'll probably drag it out for a while to really end it, because I'm more of a 'process' guy then a 'finish' guy.

13. Sturgeon

Sturgeon Member

Ya, silly computers do what they want, but I'm sure I'll end up in the negative anyways.

For the same reason that I'm answering.

blob likes this.
  14. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

That's not completely true. I recall you beating Dredmor on Dwarven with a melee character and boasting that it was possible.

CheeseToast likes this.
  15. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

My first win was about forty hours in on DMPD with a dual-wielding melee proc character. My first GRPD win was after seventy hours or so. I think I'm up to about one hundred and ten and I'm suffering the same "problem" as Essence: tinkering with mods or downloading new ones means I need to try a different character.

16. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I've never beaten Dredmor since Diggle Gods. Have a few times before though. But I'm kinda in the same boat as Essence, get bored after a while. No Time to Grind makes it better though.

17. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

You know, you're right! It's been so long and so many characters have come just shy of making it that I blanked out on the one time I finished the game. :D I had to go back and check my Steam achievements to be certain, but I've definitely beaten the game at least once on DM.

blob likes this.
  18. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

50-60 hours before I beat the game on dwarfish moderation non perma-death with RotDG. I managed to do it with a dual tome wield unarmed character.

19. Karock

Karock Member

I'm only at 47 hours but I honestly haven't gone below level 7 yet. I still have several characters that deep just taking naps though. I always get down to floor 5 or 6 and decide I want to tweak this or that in my build, or perhaps just start over from scratch.

I do think I've hit on the one I like the best though... albeit it's plagued with a bug that will end up giving you crazy health and mana regen (sigh necronomics) if you aren't REAAAALLY careful right around the time you're going to be leveling up. And on GRPD it makes it kinda tricky sometimes.

20. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Really? I'm sorry that I never saw this bug last time I played a necromage. Sounds like fun.