How do you want your first colony to die?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Xyvik, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Xyvik, Idle Dice and Kazeto like this.
  2. Shall we try poets for distraction then?

Xyvik likes this.
  3. King George V

King George V Member

Something Lovecraftian.

Xyvik likes this.
  4. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

I read through my collection of Edgar Allan Poe again, just to keep myself in the spirit of this game. I definitely see lots of potential in there for horrible colony deaths. I'm torn between whether I want my colony to die because they all see black cats that keep coming back, or if they think there are beating hearts in their buildings and proceed to tear the colony to pieces trying to locate the sound.

...or maybe both? They hear cats that don't exist and burn the colony trying to rid themselves of the constant meowing...

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

The whole colony, all at once, drowned. Either by a Shipwrecked boat on the way to the colony or by invoking a "Great Flood" of sorts.

Xyvik and Kazeto like this.
  6. Hell Grunt

Hell Grunt Member

Expanding on this, a random event on maps featuring access to the sea/ocean where a ship from one of the main factions arrives on the map and shipwrecks somewhere, letting it's "crew" loose.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  7. Maybe a sickness that turns people in vomiting vampires or a Misterious fog that makes people disappear, maybe related to that peculiar looking object in one of the miner's house...

Hell Grunt and Xyvik like this.
  8. Jessibobs

Jessibobs Member

9. Rankenstein

Rankenstein Member

something like this:

"So the Sumerian tablets, they say the same thing like Genesis said, that there were chariots of fire that came into the sky. And these beings got out of them, and they walked like a man but they had reptilian features. They had snake-like eyes, a tail, and, uh, scales, right? And they were - they were here, and they made slaves out of the people. And where they landed in is what the Bible calls the Garden of Eden. They were trying to inbreed with the people here. The women would die, the babies were deadborn. But after two thousand years they started taking, the babies started being born and living. And they had tails, they had a few reptilian features. They could phase shift from one dimension to another dimension, and the people who know say it's from the fourth dimension - the next dimension. Space is expanding; there are spirits coming from the center, right? We're going counterclockwise. There's supposed to be eight other universes going counterclockwise, and that's called Superuniverse, you know? And love's always been the message. It's just - circumstances happen, right? People freak out, just flat flip out, you know? Well, that's where Hitler came from, Hitler came from that way. He was an outspoken, charismatic yeller. And, and all these people said, "Hey, we'll use this guy, hey, look at all these people listening to this guy." You know what I mean? And so that's just what the trip's like, that. You know? It still exists, and their bloodline goes back - back into Sumerian times. You know, they didn't call it reptilian, they didn't call it that. But they did, because they called him Satan, they called him the Devil, and it's the same damn trip. It's a negative force, coming in on a positive force, because it's a third dimension, right? And for it to solidify or to crystallize, it has to have both elements, right? And you have to keep it in balance, or it will, it will, one of them will destroy the other..."

Xyvik likes this.
  10. Zorbeltuss

Zorbeltuss Member

"As a humble Archaeologist I can not fully ascertain what destroyed our first colony, what I do know is that at an early time, a few animals ran away from their masters, after fully destroying the habitat and ecology of the colony, they were changed however somehow, and this has seemed to accelerate the destruction of the colony, what I do know is that others may have more wit than I so I've sent a breeding couple to each scientist I know by name or reputation, in all the colonies, you my friend are one of these scientists. Would you care to figure out this conundrum for the good of the Empire?

I have not been able to ascertain what form of kept animal has produced these critters, but I've narrowed it down to goats, sheep or possibly cows, as for keeping them alive I've been successful in identifying that they eat most types of meat and are especially fond of human fatty tissue, they drink whatever is handed to them but beer and blood is what makes them thrive.

With sincere admiration.
    /Zorbeltuss Bronzeboiler"

Kazeto and Xyvik like this.
  11. A traveling circus comes to town.

But they never travel

And they aren't a circus

And they're communists.

EleSigma and Xyvik like this.
  12. Cutter

Cutter Member

Hoping they make a bog/swamp biome because this is what'll occur.

My colony had the bad luck to land on northeastern seaboard and only found foggy, peaty, treacheous bog/swampland in all direction for days on end. So there they settled. And as they were building the colony they came across ancient stone tablets with pictograms that they more less deciphered to understand that upon one time there was an ancient cult that had resided there and worshipped something named 'Hrnngknak'. Turns out this something was an enormous shambling mound composed of the bog itself. And because they did not know the proper rites to appease it, it cursed them all. And they all died in terrible agony...of crotch rot. A pretty picture it is not!

[​IMG]
    Hrnngknak the Destroyer...of crotches!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Kazeto likes this.
  13. Hasenfang

Hasenfang Member

"Tremors"

14. Ghostwoods

Ghostwoods Member

Personally, I quite like the idea of going to make a cup of tea and coming back to find that the entire colony is deserted, with food still on plates and warm beverages in mugs, with no sign of disturbance save one word carved into a tree-trunk in the centre of the village -- "CROATOAN".

Kazeto likes this.
  15. Either death by communist fishmen or, as I'm usually a sciency type in these kinds of games, one of the megaprojects

16. Rendking

Rendking Member

I would like to have a civil war where the colony revolts from the empire and half of the people are loyalists and the others fight for freedom.

Xyvik likes this.
  17. I actually think something like that is in game, can't confirm however

18. I want to have some sort of Bandit/Fishman Invasion. With the Soldiers trying to defend the each house, Sappers setting up defenses into the Heart of the Town the best they can, eventually scrambling back to the Town square. The last days of my Colony would mainly happen in the boarded-up storage closet of the city hall, where two soldiers, one maid and the cowardly mayor decide whom to eat first.

I can just see this going really well, if you hadn't guessed already.

Kazeto likes this.
  19. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

I have to say that I wouldn´t find this most annoying, if your colony could just vanish randomly without any context. All downfalls should feel like you had a chance of fighting them, or else they just become random events that don´t involved you, the player, anymore, which would be bad.

Could be interesting if you could recolonize the desserted colony, though. ANd then suddenly the disapeared villagers reapear, to take back what is theirs.

Xyvik and Kazeto like this.
  20. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife Member

I hope my first "successful" colony dies because that one underappreciated miner guy just summoned Yog-sothoth.

Mayor: Colony Status, my dear?

Clerk: Well, villagers claim to be seeing eldritch horrors, but thats not unusual around here.

*crash bang scream death*
    *mayor sees the eldritch horror and immediately goes insane*

* everyone dies*