How do you want your first colony to die?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Xyvik, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Willywanker

Willywanker Member

Seriously joined this forum just because of this thread, and now an interest in the game.

My first thought was similar to the final destination movies, a series of needlessly complex strings of cause and effect that seem completely random like death is out to get you but if that were true the 100 other things that could have killed you in the string of events would have. These events usually have more to do with faulty workmanship, then death claiming someone. Basically I want to think these are isolated incidents until its basically to late.

My second thought is a nightmare I have and is stemmed from my proximity to San Francisco and being a hunter. Basically a group of vegans decide to show us murders what its like to be stalked, hunted, field dressed, skinned, quartered, an served in a variety of manners as food, all with a lovely head or at times a full body trophy in their living room never been a rug in my dream but its not something I would turn my nose at.

Either one in a game would be interesting

2. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

I didn't need to get any further than this line to know this was an excellent idea. In fact, I got that far and was in the process of taking a drink. Water everywhere!

Since at least one member of the Gaslamp crew is a vegan I think this one has got to be an option somewhere. "Rise of the Vegans!" scenario.

Dr. Quackzalver and Kazeto like this.
  3. Deadmeat5150

Deadmeat5150 Member

Hippies. I already know my first colony is going to die because of hippies. It's in my nature to be Mr. Nice Guy in video games and that will backfire and the hippies and naturalists will take over the colony. I'm also hoping for a lot of opium and laudanum to be involved.

4. astaldaran

astaldaran Member

Quite honestly I want to run my colony as a disenfranchised nobleman who believes in the common good of man and thereby attempt to show the queen what a better nobler society should look like..ofcourse my citizens will take advantage of the situation and there will be a spiral of death..which eventually leads me to declare my fellows subjects and to rule them with an iron fist. The horde then turns to cultish practices and I am sucked into it..the queen then orders our annihilation our the colony ends in a bloody one sided mess.

Xyvik and convolutedthinker like this.
  5. Maxumym

Maxumym Member

I want my first colony to die the only way true to the Queen and Country: overindustrialisation, Totally Safe© experiments that will lead to an explosive reaction that will bring the entire colony up to the sun in a beautiful blast of steam, brass, chunky bits and poetry.

Xyvik, Kazeto and EleSigma like this.
  6. ploki122

ploki122 Member

Definitely something about a terrible explosion leaving a crater behind where a future coloney exploits magma/mineral

Turbo164, Kazeto, Xyvik and 1 other person like this.
  7. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

After reading a somewhat disturbing German folk tale / children's story, I have decided I would like my second colony to die because somebody has an unhealthy obsession with matches. And molasses.

Idle Dice and Kazeto like this.
  8. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

what will actually happen:

You couldn't figure out how to turn flax and wood into beds, naturally this lack of places to sleep kills productivity and you fall behind in food production. Your grumpy, sleep-deprived and starving colonists end up eating each other. Eventually a lone Aboriginal spear-hunter finds your colony and finishes off your last two colonists, who were sleeping in the middle of an open field.

Xyvik and Kazeto like this.
  9. Mystrogak

Mystrogak Member

I want my first colony to fall apart, abysmally, utter destruction, death and tears. I don't care what the final straw that breaks "Colony First Flag" is be it flames insanity swamp monsters or whatever other cruel hurdles the game might throw at me,but i want to trace it back to something minor, i want the originator of all the chaos that inevitably sends my people running in madness or flames to be puny and out of my control; something like a love affair between the head of the guards and the barbers wife. Well that or menacing elephants.

10. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

Mine will be devoured by a raving maw beyond the veil.

I plan to fashion a town of flesh and bone into a non-euclidian conduit of unspeakable horrors. I will bring he-who-hunger sinto a world ripe with madness.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Xyvik likes this.
  11. charle88

charle88 Member

Obvious cult-centric downfall aside, I'm hoping that the Empire's Glorious Settlement Attempt #234 (Give or Take a Few Magnificent Failures) will collapse due a megaproject of some sort. Whether it be a Massive Industrial Complex or a Giant Brass Boiler, I intend for at least one of my settlements to go down in a explosion of steam and fire.

Xyvik, convolutedthinker and Kazeto like this.
  12. Edimonde

Edimonde Member

I plan to do my first run as a ruthless militarist colony hellbent on conquerin everything. I'll declare war on everybody who happens to cross my path and focus all my colonys production and ressources on pumping out weapons and soldiers. It will probably all come crashing down when the filthy plebs rise up and tear the colony apart, or the war on everything ends with my colony being overun by angry fishmen and eldritch horrors.

On that note, I really hope you can declare indepence from the empire in this game. Build up a fortress colony and see how long you can last against the onslaught of the empires soldiers.

13. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

Yeah that would be a great way to test a colony/trigger it´s downfall. If you think your colony is strong enough you can declare independence and from then on increasingly stronger waves of imperial troops attack you.

Xyvik, Hell Grunt and Kazeto like this.
  14. Hell Grunt

Hell Grunt Member

Even better would be to allow yourself to be annexed by another faction, changing certain aspects of your colony such as the colonists you get and different soldier uniform and armament styles.

EleSigma and Kazeto like this.
  15. Hasnt this all been mentioned or hinted at previously?

16. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

Hinted maybe, in our subjective wishing. But I couldn´t find anything definite on that matter. Guess we´ll have to wait till we know more about the metagame.

17. Jase

Jase Member

My first colony is going to last forever and everything is going to be great. Right? Right?! Oh GOD right?!

Xyvik and convolutedthinker like this.
  18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

No, it won't. Your colony will be eaten by giant mushroom ants. Have fun.

convolutedthinker likes this.
  19. Are the more ant than mushroom or more mushroom than ant?

20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

We would know if only they didn't kill every scientist who tried to ascertain that.

convolutedthinker likes this.