how do you feel about the inventory system in Dredmor?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by SkyMuffin, Jan 2, 2012.

?

How do you feel about the current inventory system in Dredmor?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2012.
  1. I am satisfied with the way it is.

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. I'd like a bit more space (1 or 2 lines), but otherwise it's okay.

26 vote(s)
    36.1%
  3. I'd like substantially more space (2x as much?).

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. I'd like for it to be redone in some way (specific spaces for managing crafting supplies, etc)

45 vote(s)
    62.5%
  5. I think it should be completely remade.

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OmegaJasam

OmegaJasam Member

+1 slot per crafting, archery or throwing skill level would do it I think.

And once again I would love the abilitu to trade inv slots for more slots on the hotbar.

2. Rhadamante

Rhadamante Member

My 2 cents on this (and my first post here) : the regular inventory should be smaller by 1 or 2 lines but should feature slots for "special" bags. And because a (bad) picture is worth (a fraction of) a thousand words...​

First the regular bag with 2 lines (16 slots) missing, replaced by some horribly copy/pasted icons :​

[​IMG]

Clicking on those icons would toggle the "special" bags I was talking abouts, each containing 8 slots (2 columns of 4 slots) and dedicated to a certain range of items. Like so :​

[​IMG]

Of course these images are just here to explain the concept. It could be 1 line per special bags with more categories. It could also be a separated inventory instead of a toggle.​

Some belts should also, a la Diablo, give a second line of belt-slots. Or it could be a special skill for some of the skill tree only.​

Anyway, more inventory and belt slots is a necessity especially if you play random and end up with 2 or 3 crafting skills.​

Wisse likes this.
  3. kino5

kino5 Member

I like it so much. Getting together Alchemy Station and the Still is a very good idea, since those two items are entwined in a very obvious way. Same for the Press and the Grinder, too.

I hope developers get a look onto this, since these are very good ideas, indeed.

4. Ryvian

Ryvian Member

Just throwing this out there, I really hate the weight system, and I never want to allow it to see the light of day in DoD. Slots are good enough.

5. kino5

kino5 Member

^ I second this

6. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

The only thing I can see a weight system accomplishing well would be to balance stack sizes.. but I think a simple stack size limitation for certain items would be better even so never mind.

7. kino5

kino5 Member

I think the only changes that should be done is to improve the inventory management or making it more confortable. The system seems fine to me as it is, and it doesn't need to get more complicated.

8. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Another (possibly extreme) suggestion for reducing inventory clutter:

-remove one of the tiers of meats and one of the junk meats, too
    -cut cheese types in half (keep the ones w/ the goofiest names)
    -cut drink types in half
    -remove mud wren-- after the first time eating it, players know to always avoid it anyway
    -create permanent slot for lockpicks

With the cheeses and drinks, I am sure players already dump the weaker ones and keep the higher healing ones....especially on lower levels. And speaking of which, why do grogs and other crappy items still spawn on the later floors anyway? That should probably be changed..

9. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

They're crafting ingredients. Mud Wen makes grog and verdant poison. Most alcohols (except Pan-Galactic Gargle-Blasters and Grog, for some bizarre reason) distill into aqua vitae, which are necessary for 90% of the alchemy crafts.

10. Aquaman

Aquaman Member

The game should not have to take away content in order to meet inventory demands. I would take a cluttered inventory over a small variety of items any day.
    Being able to find new and unusual items every-time you play is partly why I love this game!

I do have another suggestion though. Maybe there can be storage machines(a vending machine that has a large inventory) That for a fee you can store your items and then take them back out. Maybe the fee could be like 5% of item cost.

These machines would also store across all floor levels and all other vending machines. Which means that something you store on floor one is accessible at floor 10 and so on.

Rhadamante likes this.
  11. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Ahhhh, I forget about this since I tend not to do alchemy. Maybe if you merged the items into some other items then?

12. kino5

kino5 Member

SkyMuffin, I have the same opinion as Aquaman regarding items: the game should not lose content in any case. I like your idea of having a fixed slot for lockpicks, though.

Also, I think what could be avoided is to have crafting tools occupy inventory slots, giving them fixed slots too. Having in mind that with tinkering, blacksmithing or alchemy you use at least two slots for tools, and maybe you need a grinder too even if you're not a crafter (for grinding meat and cheese), in a lot of cases you're saving up to four slots, and that's a lot.

13. Rhadamante

Rhadamante Member

Why I didn't think of this despite a similar system appearing in one of my favorite game is strange but I totally approve of this. At least one machine every 2 floor would be enough. For example, storing craft and to-be-Kronged items in it would be a great help to my current character.

I also approve of fixed slots for items everyone is bound to get and keep, namely, lockpicks and crafting tools.