How about accurate item discriptions? My memory ain't so good.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by clocknova, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Bronze

Bronze Member

While I can see your point with "sides" I think most players that get "hostile" just want inherent game play mechanics/bugs fixed foremost. If the devs try to cater to all these seemingly...yes seemingly (not my view anyway) superfluous changes, these people get pissy. They may think these types of suggestions just detract from the main issues and could possibly result in delays of getting them fixed (unlikely). At the very least they may feel posts of this nature jam up the forums and hide the real bugs with game mechanics under a ton of useless posts.

Again not my view just what I think is happening.

2. Oathbreaker

Oathbreaker Member

A sheet of paper and a pen if it's that important?

3. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Oathbreaker This is not D&D. There's no real reason to require pen and paper for a game that's not D&D. :) Or the early Ultimas.
    Regardless, any way to make it easy to remember what something is, without making someone go to the Wiki, all the time, is a good thing.

I also realize that I've been playing games since 1986. I think I'm allowed to use my experience here. :) Regardless, I don't see how this is a game breaking bad idea.

4. Oathbreaker

Oathbreaker Member

It's not a bad idea if it's implemented right.

I've got you beat by a couple of years iirc, but you want convenience. Others don't, or think there's more important things for the few devs to fix/work on. In the meantime there's very few random things like that which you really need to remember and you have a simple, easy and widely available workaround. If the immersion-breaking bothers you, just think about it as the player character having to write down what each thing does - he can't remember if he doesn't write it down.

5. Tytaine

Tytaine Member

I would very much appreciate it if the items had concise descriptions of what they did instead of jokes after using it once.

6. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Oathbreaker :( I didn't say I wanted convenience in this game at all. You have me confused with someone else.

I want this game playable by all sorts of people, from the OP, to people who have been playing D&D since before you were born, Oathbreaker, unless you were born in the late 60s. :)

I'm 28 years old. I like this game. It's fun, and while I don't actually have that much issue with remembering what things do, I see no reason why they can't add descriptions that function like I.D scrolls in Angband. :)

Not everyone has a perfect memory. To think that, is extreme folly.
    And yes, there are major issues with this game that the Devs should fix first. But neither the OP or I are demanding that it has to be done now. :)

I don't see why it's a bad idea to suggest an idea. We're not holding hostages and demanding things.

7. clocknova

clocknova Member

@DavidB1111
    Thanks, Dave.

What were we talking about?

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@clocknova Good item descriptions should be added. Not that it should be added above all others, but eventually, someway to know would be good.

Don't let the mean people get you down. On the bright side, most of the mean people here are still rather nice compared to the Minecraft forums. :)

9. Desi

Desi Member

I agree that mushrooms and wands should be labelled with their effects after the first consumption. After all, food and booze are already labelled as such. The ones I have trouble with are mushrooms since I don't really use them.

What does an Arcane Wand do, anyway? =/

10. Bronze

Bronze Member

Shoots Aethereal Missiles.

11. Desi

Desi Member

They musn't be any good, since I hardly noticed it. =/ I love Rock Wands and Stony Wands, though.

12. Bronze

Bronze Member

I find the Handy wand pretty handy.

13. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Bronze "That's not funny." *Robot Chicken Clip here* But yeah, I never used wands that much.

14. Desi

Desi Member

Wands are basically my Oh Shi-- weapons. If I stumble upon a monster zoo and there are basically no chokepoints anywhere, I can make one with a Stony Wand. Or if a boss monster is too close, I can knock it back with a Rock Wand. Or I can deal with a crowd of enemies with one of those crazy tentacle wands. I actually ignore crossbows and stuff and just concentrate on wands.

15. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Crossbow + bolts of the Squid = Death to everything in a monster zoo down to floor 5.
    Well, they won't all die the first turn, but it cuts the population about half per shot.
    I don't use wands that much.
    I'm also a big fan of Bolts of Mass Destruction, although they don't do much damage per se.
    The wall destroying is fun though.

16. Guest

Most of them are obvious after a while.
    Plumber = Mario reference. He breaks bricks. Strength.
    Fell Truffle = Fell usually means something evil. Gives the Necromantic buff thing.
    Inky whateveritwas = Octopi use ink to cover their retreat. Invisibility.
    Greedy Plungecap = It's greedy for blood. Vampiric.
    Fairy whatever = It tells you it heals in the description! That's what it does.
    Grunge ear = It says "Apart from toughening you..." Yeah it buffs you.
    Night Cap = Description says it smells like liqueur. Booze/liqueur = mana.
    Azure something = Says it's seeping with magic. It gives you some mage buffs.
    Odious Puffball = Gives puffballs. Weird but easy to remember after you throw a few.

The 3 remaining ones don't make much sense, though.
    Lobster gives "lobstery toughness", buffs you.
    Prince gives max HP.
    Mud wen = Don't eat, nasty. Used for poison!

Not that I'd be against having descriptions after use or something.

17. LiQuid3600

LiQuid3600 Member

Take out your Dungeons of Dredmorâ„¢ Instruction and Adventuring Manual and flip to the very back and you will see a section called "Notes" with numerous blank pages. You can add in any notes there about the various items you see and reference it while you play! It's like having an interactive strategy guide!