Horrid Thing Skill

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Chiko, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Chiko

Chiko Member

Mkay, new mod version uploaded and main page updated according to the stuff discussed in here. Weaknesses are more forgiving and the skillset in general is more unique with all these changes. I hope I did ok with all the coding. No bugs so far... anyways, I hope you all enjoy this new update.

Now to sleep! It's 3:48am here and I have work tomorrow. :(

OmniaNigrum and Daynab like this.
  2. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Looks good. I'll give it another try soon.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Because of how your %procs work - Lesser and greater sprout have the following dynamics - First sprout has a 25% chance of procing, second sprout has a 37.5% chance of procing 3rd and 4th sprout have a 23.75% chance of procing.
    Horrid sprout has a 50%/25%/25% chance of procing each respective limb. Not sure if it was your intent to achieve these proc rates (in the case of lesser and greater sprouts, this seems unintentional, because the procs appear to have equal power levels. Might want to readjust according.

If you wanted even chances for everything (well close to it), then 25%/33%/50%/100% was the way to go about it.

:dmg_toxic::dmg_aphyxiative::dmg_acidic: are among the worst damage types to have in low quantities, with toxic being the absolute worst. Just something to keep in mind.

One observation though - right now, the tree doesn't give any burliness whatsoever (aside from +1 from combat form) - I think that it would make a lot of sense to make the limbs each give at least +1/2/3 burliness (depending on limb level). The main reason for that being that :dmg_conflagratory: is BLOODY EVERYWHERE in later floors onwards. Therefore, it's not so much the situation whereby (you get more damage, but you "might" take more damage), but rather (you get more damage, but you WILL DEFINITELY take more damage). Therefore, adding a bit of burliness to the limbs will soften that impact somehow.

Finally - On eating corpses - 10hp instantly every 18 turns is too much early on, not enough late on, and the cd on the ability prevents you from truly benefiting from the +exp in a meaningful way once you are past level 2-3. I propose instead to give it a 4 turn cd ability that gives you a (+1:life_regen:, -1:nimbleness:, +5exp eat) buff that can stack up to 5 times, and lasts 20 turns.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  4. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

By the way, change the directory structure so that it can be loaded straight from the ZIP (and by extension, is ready for use with steam workshop).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Chiko

Chiko Member

About the %procs. All about it is unintentional, thanks for posting the real % in them. I'm bad dealing with anything related to numbers.

Also, small update. Made some minimal changes to Sprout damages and to a couple of Skills. The Buffs in the last skill are a bit stronger. I also added 1 :life_regen: regen to the Digesting debuff coz it actually makes sense. As usual, all info is posted in the main page.

I'll be very busy for the next 3 weeks but I'll try properly update this eventually. Also, I actually had no idea about this Steam Workshop stuff. I'll take a look at it this weekend and see how it works and stuff.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Chiko

Chiko Member

I have a question... I have always noticed in the core codes something like this:
    Code:
    <effect type="damage" crushing="3" crushingF="0.25" />
    What does the crushingF does on its own?

Also, I added primaryFactor to some of the spells in SpellDB codes, like for instance:
    Code:
    <spell name="Tendril Crush" type="target" icon="TehThing Skill/TendrilSpit_32.png" >
        <effect type="damage" crushing="3" crushingF="0.25" primaryFactor="0"/>
      </spell> 
    This one works.

I then tried using it in other spells:
    Code:
    <spell name="Assimilate Corpse Heal" type="self" >
        <effect type="heal" amount="10" amountF="0.15" primaryFactor="0"/>
      </spell>
    <spell name="Assimilate Corpse" downtime="18" type="targetadjacentcorpse" icon="TehThing Skill/AbsorbCorpse_32.png" >
        <description text="Drains a corpse of its biomass." />
        <effect type="grantxp" amount="5" amountF="0.15" primaryFactor="0"/>
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Assimilate Corpse Heal" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Digesting" />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/corpus_burst/corpus_burst" frames="7" framerate="100" sfx="fleshbore" centerEffect="0"/>
      </spell>
    But it seems it doesn't do anything. Maybe just works with damages? I'm pretty sure I'm just missing something.

I hope this works coz I want to add scaling to:
    Assimilate Corpse: Healing and Exp gain so it continues to be as useful in late game.
    Tendril Throw, Seize Victim, Skin Trap, Digestive Vomit and Spore Clouds: Scaling to damages and drain damages.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Scaling defaults to magic power if you don't specify a secondaryFactor or primaryFactor.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Chiko

Chiko Member

That's good to know. I always added them just because it was like that in core codes.

It seems amountF doesn't work. At least not in the way I'm using it. I'll try scaling the healing and exp gain in Assimilate Corpse using another way.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Healing should in fact be scalable. Check the code for fleshknit.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Chiko

Chiko Member

Imma check the files in this mod. I think I actually made an update for this but I never uploaded it. I will also take this one to the Steam Workshop, now that I can finally publish mods in it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Aegho

Aegho Member

Don't know if primaryFactor/secondaryFactor work, I've been using primaryScale and secondaryScale, and they work for sure.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Chiko

Chiko Member

New Update uploaded with the changes in the main page. Now, I'll try to get it on the Workshop.

Hmm... Never heard about those. I'll give them a try. They might solve that scaling issue I'm having. Thanks.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Chiko

Chiko Member

Can't take this into the Workshop, not clever enough. No matter, though. Mod can be still downloaded from here. :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Chiko

Chiko Member

I did, along with the additional instructions posted in these forums too. I believe the problem comes withing the XML validation process. I also tried to use that validation check software developed by Glazed but it doesn't work for me.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Daynab

I see your (possible) problem.
    It isn't packaged correctly. You're supposed to have the mod/skills etc folders directly inside the zip (which is named after your mod) instead of in another folder named after the mod.

If I wanted to run your mod and download it from the forum I wouldn't be able to use it from the zip either.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Chiko

Chiko Member

I tried that too. I took the Mod, Skills and Sprites folders and put them inside a .zip file. It still says "Your mod doesn't appear to be valid"

[​IMG]

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I do not know if it matters, but most mods use lowercase mod skills and sprites directories. (And you may have to adjust the mod itself if it references the uppercase directories.)

19. Daynab

I'll ask Gaslamp if they have any idea what's happening, when they're around.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Aegho

Aegho Member

Yeah all those folders must be lowercase, not the first time it happenes.

OmniNegro likes this.