Holy crap I just got a shield with 49% magic reflect!

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Shadowplay, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Nevermind, mistook Mirrorshield (49% reflection) for Filigreed Silvershield (25% reflection)

How much can items get enchanted by default? I just got this insane mirror shield for defeating a monster zoo and as far as I can tell that is +24% magic reflect on top of the mirror shields innate 25% magic reflect. Does anyone know the limit on buffs like that? It seems a tad excessive to have 49% spell reflect on an item drop on dungeon floor 3 :D

Attached Files:

2. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Mirror Shield has always had :reflection:49. You might be thinking of the Filigreed Silver Shield which has :reflection:25.

Please note that :reflection: only reflects projectile spells. A lot of spells are not projectiles (e.g. Arctic Swirly).

3. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Ah damn. Yeah was thinking of mirrorshield :( crap. Renaming thread

4. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Edit: Apparantly not. Oh well, edited first post instead. Also, wont let me edit for some reason

5. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

I've always thought the Filigreed Silver Shield was better than the Mirror Shield.

The bonus :resist_aethereal::resist_transmutative::magic_resist::armor_asorb: more than makes up for the missing :reflection:. Plus it looks way cooler:
    [​IMG]
    vs
    [​IMG]

Essence likes this.
  6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, it depends, J-Factor. If you are only fighting spellcasting monsters at the time (yeah, not likely in the unmodded game unless you want to hug Dredmor), and have enough resistances, then the Mirror Shield is better.

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

It needs a boatload of :magic_resist: to make up for the non bolt spells.

8. Vinculi

Vinculi Member

Hmm, does 113 count as a boatload?
    Chekkit.png

Somewhat more on topic, does anyone know whether reflect or resist is rolled first? I'd assume reflect, since otherwise you would want to intentionally lower resist if you were maxing reflect, and I've always been dubious about the value of the reflecting shields versus the better blockers like Cockroach Pavise, are they any good?

9. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

First rule of DoD stats: never assume anything or logic.

(I'm curious about this, too.)

Marak likes this.
  10. Tycho

Tycho Member

Be kinda nice if there was a visible counter for :reflection: in the stat screen.

Also be kinda nice if there was a way to implement :reflection: in some capacity besides simple projectile spell reflection. Though I can't think of what...

11. Just got this on the 8th floor.
    [​IMG]

Side note, this was my first captcha when I was just signing up for the forums:
    [​IMG]

Daynab likes this.
  12. 0x517A5D

0x517A5D Member

FaxCelestis likes this.
  13. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

The Reflecting shields are excellent, but best used when you already have your mundane armor needs covered or if you are simply more worried about casters than melee. I had two mirror darkly shields towards the end of my last melee run since my AA and block needs were already well covered by the rest of my equipment.

14. Wootah

Wootah Member

I would love for them to lay out casting rules like they have for melee combat rules.
    When/How resist is checked? When Haywire is checked, When refelct is checked. Can Haywire reduce the chance to resist?
    Etc.. Since spells have so many components, you don't know what is getting resisted and what is not.

15. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

The current casting formula is (from trial and error):
    1. If :reflection: and [spell is a projectile]
      1. Reflect spell
    2. If :haywire:
      1. Paralysis/confusion/sleep/knockback/DOTs apply
    3. If :magic_resist:
      1. 1/2 exotic damage, 1/4 mundane damage
      2. Paralysis/confusion/sleep/knockback and DOTs do not apply
    4. Else
      1. Paralysis/confusion/sleep/knockback/DOTs apply
    This applies for every component of the spell ( except :reflection:which applies to whole spells by changing the target ).

(The layed out melee combat rules were probably the result of this post)

16. Wootah

Wootah Member

So, trying to understand this, the resists I might see can be both from :haywire: and from :magic_resist:?
    Somewhere around here, a Gaslamp employee said that Haywire was like a spell crit, which I am not seeing in your formula (but I don't see it in game either, so I don't know).

And finally, if a monster has a lot of :magic_resist:, there is nothing I can do to penetrate that (like enemy dodge reduction?)

J-factor, do monsters have :reflection:?

17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Some monsters do have :reflection:.

:haywire: does act exactly like melee :crit:. Exactly no difference there unless I am mistaken.

You can resist things exactly as J-Factor said. In that order too.

Even if :haywire: succeeds, if :magic_resist: succeeds, it cancels those listed effects. (Paralysis, Confusion, Sleep, Knockback, DoTs, and even others not listed.)

18. Wootah

Wootah Member

But there are so many spells that when I cast i see 4 different numbers usually a couple are zeroes, but still, can all those crit? Or is only one of this critting (haywiring?)

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

What spell? I am unaware of more than a few spells that involve more than one damage type. So I really do not know what you are asking.

In a general reply, all spells can and do crit. Haywire applies to every effect a single spell causes as far as I know.

20. Wootah

Wootah Member

Thaumites and Fleshbore. Fleshbore is interesting because it seems to have an extra number when it lists haywire.