Holding space instead of clicking it

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Moncole, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Moncole

Moncole Member

I love this game but I dont like that I have to keep on clicking space for certain stuff. will there ever be an option to hold it instead?

2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm sorry, can you be more specific? When would you want to hold space down?

3. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Mostly to make waiting faster, e.g. waiting for the cooldown on Move In Mysterious Ways to expire so you can get off that one-square island that had that artifact on it.

4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

OK, but if you hold Spacebar you'll stack up Waits in the queue and the next thing you know a Fell Carrot will spawn right next to you and eat your face while you're stuck waiting. It's just a bad idea.

5. quixotecoyote

quixotecoyote Member

If you choose to digest food, it automatically waits x turns, stopping if a monster spawns or wanders dangerously nearby.

I would also like that functionality in a wait button.

6. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

I have noticed a tendency for my character to skip turns when I click on something to attack it and it dies before I do so. Or worse, I move to that square on occasion...

7. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I dislike the idea of a multi-turn wait button because it undermines timer balance.

"Oops, my vegan killed an animal, I'll just tell it to wait 100 turns."
    "I used my best skill in that last fight, I'll wait 23 turns before leaving the room."
    "I'll cast Phylactery a dozen times, then lock myself in a tiny room and wait it out."
    "Screw food, I'll just sit here."
    etc.

Sure, that cheesy stuff is technically possible now, but the downsides (delay, the annoying keyboard mash, and the chance of random monster spawn while three dozen spacebar triggers resolve) make you unlikely to do so unless it's truly critical.

SkyMuffin, Wi§p and Loswaith like this.
  8. onesandzeroes

onesandzeroes Member

Just so you know, it's generally a bad idea to wait around. Regenerating your health and mana by standing still is A) horribly boring, and B) not worth it, since the longer you stay on a floor, the more random monsters spawn. If you're regularly waiting to get your health and mana full, you'll start running into huge swarms of monsters. Just use food and booze, that's what they're there for.

9. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

In those cases i tend to just eat soemthing that will last about as long as the cooldown and digest it, seems to work ok :)

10. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

But then you lose an item that you might need later. Hoarding is really important during GRPD.

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Get Big Game Hunter, eat ground meat. That is for healing. And if you use magic often and have neither Blood Magic nor Leyline skill, something is wrong.

12. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Am I the only one that thinks this sounds like a cheesy marketing slogan? It sounds like one to me.

"Get Big Game Hunter, Eat Ground Meat! Pack in the Protein so you can build up enough Muscle to Show That Lich who's Boss. Order Now and we'll throw in a free pack of Diggle Plague Vaccine! Because you can't Pump Iron through a Blobby's Brain when your coughing your lungs out!"

Loswaith, Kazeto, Wi§p and 1 other person like this.
  13. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

BGH/Killer Vegan don't fit in all builds, Leyline becomes redundant near the end game half the time, and Blood Magic can't solve everything. Again, it's a better idea to ram the spacebar 20 odd times than eat something that you may need later.

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I've noticed several times on the forums that people are generally unaware of this. What if the game added some kind of message in the combat log every time this happened? Something like, "Lord Dredmor has taken advantage of your laziness and summoned even more of his favorite baddies/gruesome minions/etc into the dungeon." or, "As time passes, you hear the squeals of diggles procreating," or, "The longer you wait, the more the blobbies divide..." etc etc

actually, it would be kind of fun to make a thread just to generate messages like this.

Kazeto and Wisse like this.
  15. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I have a couple things that spawn in the ticker randomly in ID that are along those lines. Unfortunately, you can't make them specifically trigger from space bar, they just have a chance to generate over time, and thus the more time spent the higher the chance they'll show up.

Honestly, though, if someone is new enough or inattentive enough that they've never seen a monster spawn in front of them (and have not noticed that previously-cleared areas have monsters again), then I don't put great odds on them noticing any sort of statement in the ticker that they weren't specifically looking for.

Kazeto likes this.