Highly recommended watching for all modders:

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lccorp2, Aug 19, 2012.

1. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

On writing DoD stuff, straight from the horse's mouth:

It's inspired me to go back and revaluate all my tooltips and art, for one.

RionKatt, Turbo164, delta534 and 8 others like this.
  2. Frelus

Frelus Member

I want to go to Digglecon '13!
    Also, roughly at 41:30 or so, I could only think of Nicholas grinning and saying "Why so serious"....
    I may never sleep again, I think...

3. Oooo

But yeah this is all definitely good advice.

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Well done Nicholas. :)

5. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

What not to do:
    Poop: DO NOT DO POOP you do not want to see what a game looks like when it's based on poop.

6. Unicycles

Unicycles Member

I'll second that, well done :) A great presentation from start to finish.

7. Ruigi

Also, kudos for the female hero. Dredmor's female hero is the first female hero I've ever played.

8. Yes definitely. Although it's not the first I've played, for fairly obvious reasons; but its definitely one of the better ones I've seen.

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The general "entertainment" industry is somehow convinced women must have breasts that are no less than two-thirds their body weight. Then by some miracle, they are capable of walking upright too. (Face it, that is so 'effing disproportionate that it would be impossible to walk.)

Gaslamp successfully did what the aforementioned "entertainment" industry of morons thought impossible. They made a woman that is apparently Human and actually should be able to walk upright without assistance.

Cudos Gaslamp. :D

10. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Relevant:

Sophitia-evolution.jpg

I can actually play the female Dredmor hero in the same room as other people without cringing. :savvy:

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. DragonDai

DragonDai Member

That was not only a very informative hour, but a very awesomely entertaining one as well. Thanks for the share.

12. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

And as a bonus, the male hero doesn't look like he belongs on the cover of a bodice ripper romance novel, either.

Hey, if you're going to complain about cheesecake, one has to complain about beefcake, too. It's the principle of universality.

Anyways, let's keep this thing on-topic.

OmniNegro likes this.
  13. lilystorm

lilystorm Member

Lol, my internet is too slow to load this.

14. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Member

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the segment around 16:00 where he's talking about the serious/silly conundrum that so many games get wrong. If your game is inherently silly, playing it off seriously (or at least semi-seriously) does the game more favors than trying to one-up your own jokes with a silly presentation.

15. I think that's also probably why they get the whole 'allegedly influenced by Terry Pratchett' thing, because that is very much how Discworld presents itself (with the exception of like, the first few books). Whether or not he was an influence, they definitely have a similar philosophy of humour.

16. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I'm not even a modder but this is so fascinating and great. The "humorous bread crumbs" thing made me realize why I like Left for Dead so much.

Also, I really appreciate "this is why rape jokes are terrible" part, on many personal levels. Thank you for that.

edit: oh my god, Nicholas' description of Lutefisk. I had no idea it was that awful

tentacled-godqueen likes this.
  17. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Hey, we did give you the Muscle Diggle.

Turbo164 likes this.
  18. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

And henceforth one can only suppose the voluptuous diggle...eh...ette? will be forthcoming, I take it? :p

Okay, okay, sticking back on topic. On a more serious note, though, I've turned almost everything alcoholic now, having being reminded of how important magic=booze is to DoD. Either that, or it makes one Knurd.

OmniNegro likes this.
  19. Ruigi

In the name of gender equality, I propose a female version of the thrusty:

"The grindy"
    "The bumpy"

Kazeto likes this.
  20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I like the first one, Ruigi.