High level wands

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bohandas, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Hmmmm...maybe something like Alien Autopsy? Like, once you have Wandcrafting 5 (6?), you have something like a .005% chance of gaining a Wandcrafting level per kill?

mining likes this.
  2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Infinite recipes are fine, Essence. Infinitely stacking permanent buffs are like the game telling players to violate it. Thus, I'm against such an idea.

3. Nacho

Nacho Member

Some buffing wands warriors and rouges could use would be nice. Something that doesn't scale with anything, so you don't need magic to use it.

4. mining

mining Member

I really like this.

5. Wootah

Wootah Member

I too think this goes against Dredmor. Then it encourages players to just player for ever and try to game the system in various ways. But maybe his idea is more easily implemented than a skill that can check the player level to add a variable amount of bonus.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

.005% is too tiny to be of any actual use (statistically that's 20,000 kills to finally proc 1 time). However, something that's actually statistically significant like 0.5 to 5% (200 to 20 kills)...i don't know. The problem is that if it's too low, it's useless for average players (people who clear out floors, explore, play normally without exploits). But if it's high enough for the average player to gain from it, then it's probably not too much of a chore for power-gamers to exploit it (people who could grind to stack up stats).

Skills that give you permanent things like that are generally really hard to balance, since the effects stay forever, but resources (hp, mana, monsters to fight) are theoretically infinite in these games.

Kazeto likes this.
  7. mining

mining Member

Well, take skill, grind for hours to win - or take a different variety of skills and beat Dredmor anyway, because you know - it can be done with other skills fairly reliably.

Essence likes this.
  8. Ryvian

Ryvian Member

A wand that zeroes magic resistance of enemies in a large targeted radius would be cool, or wands that cast spells that lowers the resistance of a certain element to all targets in a large radius. Give them all phobia names and make them craftable only.
    Pyrophobia: Reduces resistance to conflagratory by 6 in a 4x4 radius area
    Astraphobia: Reduces resistance to voltaic by 6 in a 4x4 radius area
    Toxiphobia: Reduces resistance to toxic by 6 in a 4x4 radius area
    Photophobia : Reduces resistance to righteous by 6 in a 4x4 radius area
    Nyctophobia: Reduces resistance to necromantic by 6 in a 4x4 radius area
    Cheimaphobia: Reduces resistance to glacial by 6 in a 4x4 radius area
    etc for the rest.

9. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

In addition to higher level wands there also need to be more lower level encrusts for wandcrafting. Something like this:

Code:
    <encrust name="Thaumic Aerial">
        <description text="You've fitted your headgear with an antenna for pulling in and concentrating spiritual turbulence." />
        <tool tag="lathe" />
        <slot type="weapon" />

<input name="Burnt Out Wand" />
        <input name="Copper Wire" />
        <input name="Wand of Tesla" />
        <input name="Arcane Wand" />

<skill level="1" />

<secondarybuff id="14" amount="1" /> <!-- Mana Regen -->

<secondarybuff id="11" amount="-5" /> <!-- Magic Resist -->
        <secondarybuff id="22" amount="-5" /> <!-- Magic Reflect -->

<encrustwith name="magnesium-tungsten alloys" />
        <encrustwith name="pure selenium" />

<instability amount="14" />
        </encrust>   

Essence likes this.
  10. Wootah

Wootah Member

I agree that wandcrafting needs WAY more starting encrusts, but 1:mana_regen: at the price of -5:reflection: and -5:magic_resist: seems kind of steep. I guess if both are nearly zero anyway, then they just get zeroes.

11. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

12. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Yeah, I suppose my suggested encrust probably needs a bit of tweaking. Looking at it again I see that I also filled in the wrong slot type.