Having trouble uploading the mod to steam

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Neo_Combine, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

I keep getting this error when I scan the game

Line 3, Position: 3 -- '*********' is not a valid child for 'skillDB'

and it also cannot find my spell

The * are just there to represent the name.

Can anyone explain what the meaning of this error is.

thanks.

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It means that there is an element in "skillDB.xml" that shouldn't be there, or at least is recognized as invalid by the validator. If anything, I recommend uploading said file, so that we can take a look and tell you what exactly is wrong with it.

3. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

Thanks for the quick reply

here is the skill file itself

Attached Files:

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Oh, that one is pretty simple.

You see, the problem is the <Astartesskill> tag that you used to make it easier to work on your code. It doesn't crash the game in any way, but it's not proper coding per se, so the validator thrown out an error. Removing those (or commenting them out) when you are trying to upload your mod to the Steam Workshop is the solution there.

Other than that, the starting skill should have its 'level="0"' parameter removed. I didn't have time to get through the whole thing in-depth, but I think that's all.

5. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

Thanks for the help I tried to post on the steam workshop but didn't get a reply. I will change this when I get a chance.

6. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

I have also encountered a final problem, my spell of invisibility is refusing to cooperate, it is giving me this single error ''amount' is not a valid attribute for this element.

it worked in game but now it is telling me that it is wrong

I am sorry to ask again so soon but have spent the past hour trying to resolve the issue

Here is the spell if you wouldn't mind looking

Attached Files:

7. Kalos

Kalos Member

The validator bring the same error on Ninja Vanish and all Invisibility Potion, so it's (probably) safe to ignore it.

8. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

Fair enough thanks for the reply

9. Byron

Byron Member

Instead of creating another topic could i use this one since my problem is similar?
    I've been having similar problems trying to upload my mod Crafting Guru as it says it doesn't appear valid, is there any critical step i missed or possible coding grammar such as proper lower case and capital letters or simple numbers?

Here is the mod file in zip format.

Attached Files:

10. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

I shall have a look for you

11. Byron

Byron Member

thanks for your quick response :D that file was changed a bit while i was testing to make sure everything works xD so i may have to make some changes by hand based on what you do with the old file.

12. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

Alr
    Alright here is the fixed version. What you did wrong was not include the pictures that you used or the effects you used. Also you made one of the pictures 64 which should have been 32 (not an error but would make the picture stick out of the task bar) I only changed one bit of code and that was with the last spell and changed the size to 32 rather then 64

Attached Files:

13. Byron

Byron Member

Thanks a lot dude, ill post again if i run into anymore problems :D

14. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

Feel free to do so, trust me without this community my mod would have crashed and burned about a week ago

15. Byron

Byron Member

I'm getting the same problem maybe i misunderstood what you told me but here it is the updated version.

Attached Files:

16. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

Its not working because you have decided to shove it all in one folder.

17. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

Here is the proper order. Again. Try to keep the order that i have set them in this will ensure that the system knows how to recognise what your mod is and how to structure it. also you don't need a folder saying mod. You just need to select the mod and sprites and skills folder and zip them and then rename the zip file

Attached Files:

18. Byron

Byron Member

Cool, Thanks! now its coming up with your mod doesn't appear to be valid; make sure pictures are in png or jpg file and make sure you have read access to it? thats weird i never touched anything from the file you uploaded? Anyways you probably know by now i don't have a clue how things work and i had help making this mod. I just realized if i were to upload it i wouldn't be able to bugfix it or anything so you can have my mod and upload it if you like it since i won't be able to support people using it. Ty for all your help up to here anyways.

Cheers.

19. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

no need to do that, once you upload the mod itself
    you will not need to update it. Because unless you want to add new skills there is no point.

20. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

Also have you downloaded the file i uploaded?