Windows Vista/7 64-bit Hang: turns happening out of order?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by oxjox, Feb 19, 2012.

1. oxjox

oxjox Member

[​IMG]Somehow, while walking, and firing a fireball, and killing a potato, I caused the game to freeze.
    The flames, other potato, and hero walking all continued to animate (until the hero even changed to the idle anim), but the game would not move on from this point, nor could I do anything (in-game buttons, esc, alt+f4). I had to intervene with task manager.

This may have been caused by a bug I've noticed recently, where I can force the hero to take their turn before the monsters around me have finished theirs - but without affecting their move choices.
    For example, I am 2 spaces away from an enemy. While some other animation is stalling input, I press right to walk towards the monster, just before they also move to the left, and I end up standing on top of them.

That's what I think happened here. I was next to the potato at some point, was walking upwards, and shot a fireball at the potato next to me. I don't know exactly what order this happened in... did I use the spell DURING the walk, perhaps? But this is the first time I've had it crash.

My game is version 1.0.9 revision B, apparently. Is the .10 update not on Steam yet?

2. oxjox

oxjox Member

Also, I'd just like to say that I work in a small games company too, and I think your game is superb.

3. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

I've had stuff like this happen to me quite often, up to the point of being frustrating and undoing nearly an entire floor of progress.

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

With any luck this would be fixed in the next patch, if it's related to the out of turn thing. This is one of the bugs Gaslamp has been really trying to get rid of.

5. innerh

innerh Member

I have the same exact problem although I couldn't trace the problem to misordered turns;

This is keeping me from playing since every time this happpens I get to replay 2-3 levels and then i probably need to replay them all over again since the problem happened.

The GUI just get unresponsive, the animations are still on, when i mouse over a button it blinks but when i click it, or input anything from the keyboard, nothing happens. I can't even close the game by right clicking the entry in windows' application bar.

This is a great game nonetheless and gives me nostalgia from when i played nethack :)

6. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

And to answer your question, 1.0.10 is not out on Steam yet. Its not out anywhere except the IRC channel for betatesting. :)

7. Astaedus

Astaedus Member

I had the same problem today with version 1.0.10

If I remember correctly, there was a monster chasing me and one that died because of a 'recursive curse' spell as I walked to the right.
    (This happens all the time, so there must be some other factor that causes the problem)

The game got stuck in the walking animations for me and the monster chasing me.
    None of the UI buttons worked, but the popup information for the items in the hotbars showed as I moved my mouse cursor over them. The game did not respond to any keyboard input (arrow keys, esc, ...).
    The background music kept playing.
    The walking animation for the player eventually became the idle animation, but the walking animation for the monster chasing me kept going.

Also, my dual core pc was stuck at 50% CPU usage when I went to kill the game in the task manager.
    One of the game's threads probably got stuck in a loop somehow.

EDIT: using 32-bit Windows 7

8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I thought this was fixed with 1.0.10 - I now think this is fixed with 1.0.11. Prove me wrong; try the release candidate!

(Also, is this mainly something that happens on slower machines?)

9. I've experienced this as well, twice now actually. Sadly, once was with a character regenerating 1 mana per step by level 3. I was chucking fireballs while my dragon was melting faces. For me it happened both times while fighting a named monster and his horde on level 3, and I was using the same build for consistency. Once I killed the named monster, that's when the freeze happened. I had to resort to task manager as well.

Edit: I just noticed now that I'm not falling asleep that this thread was fairly old. So the question is, is my experience the same old bug or a new variant? It sounds like the exact same situation as the original post, but I'm running patch 1.1.1 at this point.

10. AbsurdWalls

AbsurdWalls Member

11. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

This should be fixed for Monday's patch.