Gunz&Bulletz

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Jellp, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Jellp

Jellp Member

Probe has been contributing a lot to this mod, he has done almost all gun sprites for me, please take some time visiting his Deviantart here. :)

Tired of slashing your sword away in the dungeons of Dredmor?
    Tired of running out of mana while casting a spell in the dungeons of Dredmor?
    Tired of trying to shoot a gun without a bullet in the dungeons of Dredmor?
    Well, here is your solution!

The Gunz&Bulletz mod! (in case you cannot read titles)
    1. You will need to find some ammo first! You can find random ammo on the ground or in boxes.
    2. You will need to cast the ammo/ammo box on yourself, not on anyone else!
    3. You will make sure you have a gun, you cannot shoot bullets without a gun.
    4. You will count to three. (Just for fun)
    5. You will make sure the gun is pointed at your enemy, if not, point the gun at your enemy and repeat step 3 and 4.
    6. You will now have to shoot the gun
    7. Assuming you hit, you will now see a hole in your enemy at a random spot.

"How to download?"
    You can download Le mod below!

"Why do some guns have a '-' on front of their name?"
    This is because I wanted to make this mod compatible with my Gunz&Nobulletz mod.

Please provide feedback on how to make this mod more entertaining for you and others, I will greatly appreciate it.

Attached Files:

Kazeto likes this.
  2. Jellp

Jellp Member

Reserved, just in case.

3. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Those item "sprites". Yea. let's talk about their quality. They're resized. And really, really REALLY terribly.

Kazeto likes this.
  4. Jellp

Jellp Member

It's better then no sprites, me and Probe are trying to create good sprites and that is the best we can do.

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Syphonix

Syphonix Member

Don't let this particular post bring you down. Keep up the good work.

Jellp likes this.
  6. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Don't be a dick for no reason. Presumably this is a naive art misstep so it does not deserve that tone. I don't want this to be a place where people putting themselves out there get attacked for being new to the whole thing.

Right; Carry on.

Jellp, Saphen and Syphonix like this.
  7. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

It's not like I'm attacking Jellp at all. His friend Probe on the other hand, I am attacking.
    I mean he spent prolly 30 seconds searching following gun sprite on google, then he just resized it. I just made some random gun I just made (in idk, 5 minutes?) next to it, just compare (okay maybe not entirely fair cause I'm experienced).

[​IMG]

-

Now if he searched more than just "bolt gun" or so, he might even steal someone else's work on a right size, like this;

[​IMG]

-

And it would look as improvised and quite strange, but at least it wouldn't look like the art was ripped off some probably good sprite, to then be cruelly resized to blurred pixels with an opacity outline. I mean if you're gonna steal art, why not steal good art!

----

There's my perfectly good reason.

Kazeto likes this.
  8. Syphonix

Syphonix Member

- Using a stack of buffs is a good work-around for not being able to consume actual bullets. Well done.
    - If you're willing to get daring, you could use your buff system to add different types of ammo (incendiary rounds, cryonic rounds, etc.) to change the bullet type fired. :)
    - Shawtgun appears to be consuming all stacks of ammo regardless of how many you have. I looked at it, and you have it set to consume only one. I believe that this is because it is linked to a template, and it is consuming a stack of ammo per square affected by the template. If that is the cause, all you need is another gateway spell between the 2 effects that removes 1 stack, then triggers the template.
    - Maybe for some extra flavor you could use the "overrideClassName" tag on your items to change them from being called "Wands" in game. Nevermind, I just tried this. Apparently you can't override class names on wands. What a bummer.
    EDIT: - Also, the bullets are very hard to see on most levels. I'd like to see the guns fire a comically over-sized bullet.

Kazeto and Jellp like this.
  9. Jellp

Jellp Member

"(okay maybe not entirely fair cause I'm experienced)"
    And there is your answer to that!

(second image) and rest of le post
    we don't steal images.

Please just stop being an art nazi.
    Probes answer also comming

Thank you for your feedback! (and bug report) Good ideas by the way.

10. Greggster990

Greggster990 Member

The Bolt is made by Jellp. I do not resize my sprites thats why I made the other art anyway. I also do not steal my sprites, As my old art teacher used to say about stealing art "What is the point to take someones hard, sweaty work for your own"

I know you probably don't believe me. Take these PSD files as a show of frendship.

-Probe

Attached Files:

Kazeto likes this.
  11. grimAuxilliam

grimAuxilliam Member

I like the idea of this mod. I presume there's alot of fancy coding needed to make this happen. I'll run this when my character dies.

12. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

You could make the flamethrower spell a type='cone', rotating with the player and thus making it less of a random spell.

- Oh and you could do the same with the shotgun

Kazeto and Greggster990 like this.
  13. Jellp

Jellp Member

Thank you, I will try it out.

14. Maybe you should add sniper rifles, energy weapons (Every gun but using plasma instead), and maybe specify bullet type and gun. Like 10 mm, 9 mm, 8 mm, 7 mm, 6 mm, 5 mm ,4 mm, 3 mm, 2 mm, 1 mm, etc.

Swordceries! Choose the Swordcery skill tree and fight the diggle of the sword!

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

To be fair, it's not as much a problem of experience as it is a problem of the choice of style and method. Not having experience is still some sort of excuse here, because it is easier to see what I am talking about now if you saw more styles (and thus both viewing others' art and creating your own counts here, but the latter is still of slightly higher importance due to the fact that it works better if one knows their personal proficiency in various styles), but it still doesn't change the fact that sometimes it really is easily evident that some style is not fit for something.

But then again, I can speak all I want about how it could or could not have been better, but I can't admonish you since I don't know your exact circumstances. And thus the one thing I will really say is "try to change your style to the one Alistaire presented and you ought to do better at these icons".

Jellp likes this.