GRPD random roll competition WITH MODS

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Shwqa, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Currently there is a thread made by Cain Redfield that is having a competition of rolling randoms on GRPD but it has a rule of using no mods. So here is the mod version of the competition! Here are the rule:
    • You roll your build randomly
    • All mods welcome except the mods that are meant to be cheating mods.
    • You play 7 games and take your 3 highest scores. Highest combined score of their 3 best games win!
    • Please take a screenshot of your score when you win (pressing f12 in steam should take a screenshot for you)
    • Please sure your build and a sentence or two on how well the build worked.
    • The winner wins nothing. The runner ups get the same reward.
    Good luck everyone and have fun. This competition is about testing the oddest builds of the game and having fun. Don't worry to about balance because it would be way too much work to test every mod for balance.

CURRENTLY BANNED MODS: "Cheat" and "Happy Birthday, Dreadmor!"

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I think you want it to be "except" and not "expect".

3. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

If it's balanced, then I don't think so.

5. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Not sure if it's balanced. You get significantly more picks than from Burglary even at tinkering/smithing skill 0, but you have to use up ingots to do so, and the amount you get depends on the ingot type.

Looking through the craftDB, the scaling seems to be roughly based on the monetary value of the picks versus the ingots. At skill 0, you get 3 picks from a plastic ingot and 20 from a platinum ingot. At skill 5, the output becomes 20 and 120 picks, respectively. Presumably the output is that laughably big due to wanting to use those ingots for other things.

Lockpicks are generated via potions that give either 1 or 10 picks at a time, so you spend a lot of turns quaffing potions.

You also get to craft a sword and a crossbow that create lockpicks, but they're fairly expensive, requiring a Fine Steel Sword/Steel Lever Crossbow, a 1-pick potion, a 10-pick potion, and a Platinum Ingot. And it's a level 4 recipe, and once you hit level 5 there aren't any recipes that give you the 1-pick potion anymore.

6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I would wait on Shwqa, as the creator of the challenge to rule on that. If it's not considered a cheat mod, then I'll load it up. I generally don't use it myself but I'd definitely load it up for a competition.

I also would like to know if Meltdown, Wandcraft, and/or Happy Birthday, Dredmor are considered cheat mods. The only one I ever use is Meltdown, actually, but for competition purposes, I'd definitely load up the other two as well. But each of them, I also would think might be questionable based on the stated rules.

7. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Oops I thought I fixed that. I fixed it now.

8. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

I fine with that mods (because I use it). I seriously don't like the lockpick mechanic in this game. If you get about 40-50 lockpicks than you have enough to last the whole game but if you don't have burglary or get lucky then you basically missing out on about half the treasure in the game.

9. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Meltdown is fine by me. It is basically a weaker perception ability (I know it is not a tree but I'm say this kinda already exist in the game).

Wand Craft is fine too but I think wands are terrible so I would probably consider this small bonus to make any wandcraft build viable.

And I have no idea what happy birthday, dredmor does.

10. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Sweet. I'll begin the challenge once I'm done with my EEPD run, I've almost got enough cash to buy Maslech.

11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Well... yeah. That's kind of a major point of burglary. That, and stealing stuff and escaping. Burglary is all about getting stuff for free and not getting killed when you do. The skill has other obvious applications as well, but that's the general theme of it.

12. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Well I don't know everything it does for sure, but one thing I do know that it does is have pinatas that explode and spew candy all over the place. Essentially, it's kind of like a candy bomb (don't know how to put the ~ over the n). If you haven't tried it, load up a game with it and you'll see what I mean before you leave the first level (use no time to grind to make things easier on yourself).

13. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

If you are unfamiliar with it, I'll go out on a limb and say that it is unbalanced and should therefore not be allowed by your rules, just so I can start playing. If you overrule that, I'll load it up for my second run.

14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

1. Sword, Golemancy, Blood Mage, Clutch of Midas, Uttercold Aspirant, Brofistery, Mana Pool Mastery
    Score: 100 -- encountered a Monster zoo on my the very first door.

2. Berserker Rage, Viking Wizardry, Archaeology, Piracy, Kung Fu, Avenging Executioner, Baristacrat
    score 1172 (killed by an Octo's ranged attack on level 1).

3. Thrown, Astrology, Bushido, Thunderbreath Aspirant, Hexblade, Horrid Thing, Palladinner
    Score: 432 (Died to a monster zoo)

4. Ley Walker, Fungal Arts, Poisoneer, Uttercold Aspirant, Wind Magic, The Milkman, Baristacrat
    OK, this one is going good. I'll post an update later on.
    Score: 28,760 (died from the blast of my own exploding bolt which was lots bigger than I thought it would be lol)

I'll continue this tomorrow -- too tired now.

15. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Alright if you say it's overpowered then I'll ban it. Really this competition is more about be lucky and having fun, so I am not too worried about overpoweredness. I am also hoping that it will bring interesting new build to everyone attention. The other competition is more about finally honed skills in a balance playing field and making the best with what you got.

EDIT: However if everyone want me to ban a mod for some reason then I'll do it.

16. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I don't care so long as we are all on the same page about what is permitted. As long as we have the same starting assumptions, it's all good. What I don't want to happen is for me to play 7 games only to find out that everyone assumed that X mod is not permitted, and I'd have to throw all my scores out and start again.

17. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Run 1: Score 264
    Werediggle, Radiant Wizard, Master of Arms, Emomancy, Archmage, Warlockery, and Poisoneer.
    Man that was a terrible build.

18. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Run 1: Score 220
    Staves, Warlockery, Viking, Big Game Hunter, Necrolyzing Aspirant, Dratini, Blood Knight

Died due to accidentally casting Blood Knight's first skill while low on health.

Run 2: Score 1508

Battle Geology, Killer Vegan, Psionics, Piracy, Viking, Thunderbreath Aspirant, Brofistery.

Killed self by not eating any foods, due to being unable to kill the fifty million diggles that kept blocking me without incurring huge debuff stacks. Fracking Vegan.

19. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Run 3: Score 19588

BGH, Barrier Maiden, Brofistery, Dragonfire Aspirant, Breathstealer Aspirant, Silver Tongue, Bulbasaur.

I learned that despite being a useless damage type Breathstealer's actually extremely useful to a melee class: its skills force enemies to stand next to you. Died from running out of food items.

Run 4: Score 17864

Staves, Shields, Fleshsmithing, Golems, Poisoneer, Dragonfire Aspirant, Thunderbreath Aspirant.

Died to an unending Zomby horde after running out of mana. Tangentially, summoning a mustache will desummon all of your Zombys.

Run 5: Score 180

Shields, Viking, Wand Lore, Demonology, Kung Fu, Druid Magic, Thunderbreath

Encountered like 10 ravens behind my first door, then ran headlong into a caltrop eruptor.

Run 6: Score 0

Dual Wield, Artful Dodger, Blood Magic, Werediggle, Kung Fu, Heartburn Aspirant, Horrid Thing

...yeah, screw that.

Run 7: Score 64

Axes, Artful Dodger, Psionics, QiGong, Necrolyzing Aspirant, Dastardly Scoundrel, Summoner

Nearly identical to Run 5. A Krong anvil was involved.

Final score: 38960

20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Err, just one question...

How the heck did you manage to run out of food when your build included BGH?