GRPD Melee Dredmor Kill! :3

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by FaxCelestis, Jan 21, 2012.

1. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

On my birthday, no less.

Stat build: Archaeology, Alchemy, Blood Magic, Burglary, Demonology, Inquisitor, Viking Magic

Using the Clockwork Knights, Megacrafts, Inquisitor, and Encyclopedia Magica mods.

Final stats:
    [​IMG]
    (hilariously, I'm a melee character with no actual warrior levels; I am convinced this is the best way to melee.)

Here's my final equip:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and my final score:
    [​IMG]

ElectricMessiah and Essence like this.
  2. Loren

Loren Member

Congratulations, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

3. Wootah

Wootah Member

Congrats. I am surprised melee worked for you with only 31 Armor and 4 Piercing resist.
    Personally I am still trying to beat GRPD before I will mess around with mods.

Oh and Happy Birthday dude. If you are on steam, how many 'hours played' do you have?

4. FaxCelestis

42 armor and over 100 block makes physical damage resists less necessary. I'm up to 156 hours.

5. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Not sure what is more impressive - that hat or two weapons that deal 54 damage.

Aw, who am I kidding. Maslech should probably be retired from the random name generator in honor of that fedora. Well done.

6. kino5

kino5 Member

Just... Wow. That's the Fedora from the Krong Enchantments thread, isn't it?
    I'd like to know which skill trees did you get to achieve a melee character without any warrior skill. Maybe I'll give it a try, I haven't seen RotDG levels yet, even though i've beaten Dredmor once, before the expansion came out, so It would be great to try your build (I wish I could have that fedora... xD)

7. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

Happy birthday, Fax! That's quite the boatload of loot you got there.

8. FaxCelestis

Yup.
    Without a doubt, the core skills for this were Viking Magic, Inquisitor, and Demonology. Blood Magic was a good support but could have been easily supplanted by Leylines (and probably would've been better that way, as my Righteous resist was a hard thing to keep up.).

Without mods, you can replace Inquisitor with Astrology. Celestial Circle is a main buff as well: if you get in a sticky situation, pop Celestial Circle and start tanking. I basically had Power of Magic Steel + Hand of Belimwar + Syzygy (from a gargle blaster) + Holy Sword (from Inquisitor) + Martyr's Aegis (from Inquisitor) running at all times. Burglary and Archaeology gave me the ability to handle traps and quick XP (from lockpicks and from the museum). I never got around to taking the last two levels of demonology, mostly because I dislike randomly turning into a demon.

9. Cool thread and Happy Birthday. :)

10. I wonder what the damage numbers for a melee mage (like yours) look like compared to the damage numbers for an end-game melee warrior or rogue. Just for a standard thwack.

11. kino5

kino5 Member

I actually like this kind of build, I'll definitely give it a try.

12. You should post this build in the "Most fun to play" thread, I made a character based on this, but no mods, its a FUN character to play on GR.

13. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

What did you replace Inquisitor with, DLH?

14. FaxCelestis

You can replace it with Astro, Berserker, or a weapon skill pretty easily.

15. verba

verba Member

How did you get so many stats on your fedora?

16. FaxCelestis

I put it on every krong altar I found, twice.

17. I replaced it with Assassination, the blackjack proc. early is great, and I also replaced Blood with Leywalker or whatnot.

I feel like once I get enough equip this will be godmode, I dont have any armor to speak of and with Celestial Circle (the Demon one whatever its called) and the Thaumaturgic Tap skill you can put radiant aura up and really just tank a ton, I keep dying to silly things I do, like one of the times I tried there was a Hexaxe in the shop, so I tried to steal it, I never stole anything before, so when I nuked Brax I wasnt really prepared for the 2 dread collectors yet lol, but so far I love playing it, just seems like once I get Equipment it will be much smoother sailing,

BTW I dont know if you guys know about it or not, but I have been Kronging high quality bolts, Plague for example I found a pile of them, so I krong it, then alt+click the normal ones out, and you are left with just the named one, then I send it to the museum for 600XP a pop, so far I havent had luck with WMD bolts though, but its some very very fast XP since you can just Krong another one from the stack

EDIT: If Krong curses your bolt, you get 0XP when sending it to the Museum, so its still a good deal, Put a strong bolt on the altar, if he blesses it, you get +600XP, if he curses it, fire it at monsters or Sell it, IDK if it loses much sale value after being cursed, havnt tried it yet

18. Wootah

Wootah Member

Necks are by far and away the best thing to send to the museum. Highest I have gotten is 9600.

19. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I've gotten 13200 from a tome once upon a time. I actually stopped sending things to the museum shortly after that, didn't need the XP anymore.

20. kino5

kino5 Member

Is there an experience cap, or you just were completely overpowered? :)