GIFs Galore!

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Glazed, May 7, 2012.

1. Glazed

Glazed Member

I spent a couple of hours writing a tool that converts all of the monster sprites into animated GIFs. I figure I'd share them.

Here are some examples:

Steam_Golem.gif Flamer.gif Batty.gif Diggle.gif Lord_Dredmor.gif

And here's all of them: http://imgur.com/a/CDitT

These are all facing to the right. Now that I have the tool done it would take about 20 seconds to make ones that all faced forward, or left, or whatever.

Essence, mining, Marak and 4 others like this.
  2. Glazed

Glazed Member

It's a rainbow of diggles!

Diggle_Geologist.gif Enraged_Diggle.gif Trained_Hunting_Diggle.gif Diggle.gif Diggle_Rocketeer.gif Deep_Diggle_Smith.gif Diggle_Commando.gif Deep_Fungus_Diggle.gif Diggle_Archmage.gif Deep_Diggle_Chef.gif

mining, Marak, Daynab and 2 others like this.
  3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Marak likes this.
  4. Karock

Karock Member

I think these should all be imbedded into the forums! Awesome work by the way.

5. Glazed

Glazed Member

I neglected to add poor little Tacow to the gallery. Here you go little Tacow!

Tacow_tacow_walk_right.gif

If a particular animation seems to play too fast or slow it's because I completely ignored the specified frame delays in the sprite files. I just hard-coded a fixed delay. I might eventually add support for accurate frame delays. Fixed

6. Glazed

Glazed Member

I figured out how to set individual frame delays using ImageMagick. Tonight I'll actually parse the XML for each sprite and use the actual frame delays.

7. Glazed

Glazed Member

Wow, I just generated an obscene number of GIFs. 1,705 in fact. It's every possible animation of every monster sprite. :D (Assuming there aren't any bugs in my GIF making tool causing it to skip monsters or sprites.) Haha, there were bugs. It's up to 1,992 now.

Diggle_diggle_atk_d.gif Diggle_diggle_atk_l.gif Diggle_diggle_atk_r.gif Diggle_diggle_atk_u.gif Diggle_diggle_die_r.gif Diggle_diggle_run_d.gif Diggle_diggle_run_l.gif Diggle_diggle_run_r.gif Diggle_diggle_run_u.gif

The first one looks like he's dancing.

Witchy looks funny on a loop.

Witchy_witch_cast.gif

SkyMuffin and Kazeto like this.
  8. Glazed

Glazed Member

Thrusty_thrusty_atk_r.gif
    Please tell me that's a tail.

9. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Are you serious? we don't see that in game.
    I'VE NEVER SEEN THAT IN GAME

10. Karock

Karock Member

It might just be very difficult to see on the backgrounds of the levels where it appears... And it looks like it'd have to be TWO tails! :p

11. Glazed

Glazed Member

Neither had I, which is why I posted it. Here are some other (erotic) views:

Thrusty_thrusty_atk_d.gif Thrusty_thrusty_atk_u.gif Thrusty_thrusty_die.gif Thrusty_thrusty_hit_d.gif Thrusty_thrusty_hit_r.gif Thrusty_thrusty_hit_u.gif Thrusty_thrusty_run_d.gif Thrusty_thrusty_run_r.gif Thrusty_thrusty_run_u.gif

Hmmm I guess Thrusties don't animate when they get hit. They have two frames of hit animation, but they are both the same.

If you zoom in on the second image, the appendage in question doesn't appear to come from his spine, so it's a... not a tail.

SkyMuffin likes this.
  12. Daynab

Oh lord, you're right. I pre-emptively have to say it's not David or Moom who drew this, so unfortunately they can't give us an explanation.

13. Glazed

Glazed Member

Then who drew it?

14. Daynab

The old monsters were drawn by another artist (I've never met him, he had left working for Gaslamp before I joined testing.) Apparently he works at blizzard.

He's responsible for all the plump monster butts I enjoy, but also...this.

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Hmm, so he basically thrust the Thrusty graphics onto GLG guys... And he supposedly works for Blizzard...

I'm glad I don't play any of their new games.

SkyMuffin likes this.
  16. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

You guys never noticed? I mean, that's the whole joke...

17. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Hahahaa. Oh my goooood. There's probably a lot of terrifying stuff lurking in the unused files.

But yes, I didn't do any of the pre-ROTDG monsters. THIS IS NOT MY FAULT.

mining, delta534, FaxCelestis and 4 others like this.
  18. Glazed

Glazed Member

That's definitely not required for the joke. Just having a creepy looking thing thrusting his hips at you is all that's required for the joke.

mining, Marak and SkyMuffin like this.
  19. Glazed

Glazed Member

I rebuilt all the gifs from scratch, this time with proper frame timings. The new ones are on imgur.

I also changed all death sprites to use a fixed 2 second delay after the first and last frames. Here are some examples.

Abdead_Corvid_Monarch_raven_die.gif Brax_brax_die.gif Diggle_diggle_die_r.gif Djinn_Djinn_Die.gif Lord_Dredmor_lich_Die.gif Muscle_Diggle_musclediggle_die.gif Pumpkinn_DemPum_Die.gif Villainous_Doppleganger_hero_die_disintegrated_l.gif Villainous_Dopplegangeress_hero_die_disintegrated_l.gif Witchy_witch_die.gif

Marak likes this.
  20. Not counting the Thrusties, this one ranks pretty highly on the entertainingly-might-be-obscene:

[​IMG]

Marak likes this.