Getting RotDG for Linux

Discussion in 'Realm of the Diggle Gods' started by Erasmus, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Erasmus

Erasmus Member

Hi. I'm not entirely sure this is the right part of the forum to post this thread, so I apologise if I got it wrong.

The thing is I own Dungeons of Dredmor twice; I have one copy that I bought on Steam which I used for Windows, and then later got another copy through the Humble Bundle. I didn't really use the Humble Bundle copy back then because I did all my gaming in Windows. The problem is that because I didn't do any Linux gaming I bought Realm of the Diggle Gods through Steam as well.

And now I've switched my laptop over to Linux and am using the Humble Bundle copy, I realise my dungeons are suddenly Digglegodless*, which, as I'm sure you can imagine, is a most distressing state for a dungeon to be in.

I'd rather not pay to buy the expansion a second time, so I was wondering if it's possible to just cop a few files from my Steam install to the Linux install to activate Realm? Or, failing that, if I can use the Steam install as proof of purchase in some way and get an activation code for Desura?

Thanks in advance.

* Diggleatheist maybe?

2. skkeeper

skkeeper Member

If you have Dungeons of Dredmor on Steam, that version has binaries to run on Linux.

So all you need to do is copy the folder "Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor" to your linux install and run the file on the linux console "./Dredmor" (you might have to run ./Dredmor-amd64 instead if you use a 64 bit system). I had to figure this out on my own, I have no idea why the dev team doesn't advertise that they provide the linux version on steam, since it's such an amazing thing.

Hope it helps

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Nicholas said he was working on getting RotDG on Desura.

4. Erasmus

Erasmus Member

Thank you! This works great. Just copied the dungeons directory over from my Windows partition, chmod +x'd Dredmor-amd64 and it ran perfectly first time, no problems. I wonder if any other Steam games have bundled Linux binaries.

Reminds me of Unreal Tournament 2004. Got the game many, many years ago and quite recently decided to give it a test run under Wine to see what Wine's performance was like with gaming. I was surprised to find when I opened the CD in Linux that there was a "linux_installer.sh" file on it. No mention on the game box ANYWHERE that the game supported Linux at all, let alone that it came bundled with an install script. That worked fine first time too.

5. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Guess who has worked on porting the Unreal engine to Linux. *eyes at least two members of the Gaslamp coding team, if memory serves*

Exile likes this.
  6. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Nothing relevant to say, just lol.

7. Ramzea

Ramzea Member

I was going to make a new thread but this may suit my needs. I own DoD on Desura but not on Steam. I need to own DoD on Steam to get RotDG. I can't get it on Desura. I own it on Gamefly, but didn't realize Gamefly had their own downloader that doesn't run at all through Wine on Linux. How do I get the expansion?

Also, I'll repurchase RotDG on Desura if it's ever released there. But I'm NOT going to buy DoD on Steam. Nothing against Steam but it's a matter of principle.

8. Ramzea

Ramzea Member

Well, I went ahead and installed the Gamefly downloader on Windows and downloaded the game, which wouldn't actually install for me as I do not own DoD on Gamefly.

I'm not going to purchase RotDG on Desura when it's released. I'm torrenting it as soon as I find a reliable torrent. I already paid for the game, so I feel I should at least be able to play it.

And, unless RotDG is something truly impressive, I will not be purchasing any more Gaslamp games.

9. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear that. For what it's worth, Nicholas said RotDG has been sent to Desura a couple days ago. I guess it's not up yet.

10. onesandzeroes

onesandzeroes Member

Just saw the tweet announcing it's up on Desura. Will be purchasing as soon as I get home.Thanks guys!

11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Exile likes this.