general League of Legends thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by SkyMuffin, May 7, 2012.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Does anyone else play? I do every once in awhile.

Mostly I like to mess around with Taric...still working on mastering him. I think he's underrated, but he could also use a few buffs to cooldown.

I am also SkyMuffin on the US servers.

Aquaman likes this.
  2. mining

mining Member

I play way too much.

Beholder Mage on US servers.

3. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

I play as well, pretty much entirely mages.

4. Unicycles

Unicycles Member

Yeah, I play a bit. I was pretty heavily into Heroes of Newerth and DotA (played for ~900 hours). I quit those games because I was getting far too addicted. I picked up LoL about 7 months later since a few of my friends played and wanted me to give it a shot.

I didn't like it at first, but now I play whenever I get a bit of free time. It's much more casual, and there's some other allure that I can't quite pinpoint.

Anyway, I like tanks. Leona and Vladimir are my mains :burliness:

5. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Vlad isn't a tank! He's off-tank! off-tank! Seriously though he has no cc.

6. mining

mining Member

Vlad's not even an off tank - he's a :burliness: caster.

7. Unicycles

Unicycles Member

Haha, I'm aware Vlad isn't a tank. He was, however, a nice transition into casters for me since I was so used to Leona's bulk. I love the fact that he has fairly strong AP abilities, but can take a few tower hits if needs be.

8. Syphonix

Syphonix Member

Vlad isn't a tank, but it isn't unusual for me to put a Force of Nature and a Warmogs on him for the luls

9. I played around 2k games and made it to 1400 ELO before I quit. One of the big reasons why is the community. By far one of the worst I've ever seen. The other reason is because I was really sick of the meta and passivity in the gameplay. Now I spend ALL of my time playing DotA 2. I just find things about DotA 2 a lot more enjoyable than LoL, like the heroes and items. The community isn't a huge step up, but it's not as bad.

10. mining

mining Member

scrub

Just kidding, but I find the passivity/meta to be something you can exploit in lanes like top or by jungling with aggressive play and good wards.

11. Yeah, you can do stuff like put two strong AP casters bottom and watch them just roll over the lane, but as I mentioned earlier, the community is terrible and actually working together as a team can be a pain.

12. Unicycles

Unicycles Member

So you don't find much different between the DotA2 and LoL communities? Part of the reason I quit DotA2 and HoN was because the community was atrocious. I'll admit that as I gain more levels in LoL, people seem to deteriorate into worthlessness (to put it nicely), but they are still a bit nicer in general than what I'm used to. Though they do seem to be a lot younger on whole.

LoL's meta is something interesting, too. People seem so stuck in their ways that the game is actually getting a tad boring. I'm all for creativity and flexibility with online games, but not one is ever willing to try a strategy even slightly out of the norm.

Just observations, probably relative to my sudden increase in levels over the last week or so.

13. Yes, people are very stubborn about the meta, especially in ranked. As far as communities, I've actually found DotA 2 to have a more friendly community (as long as you're not feeding). Maybe the community in LoL isn't as bad pre-level 30, but the people that play ranked... I do not have words for these people. On top of generally having bad attitudes, they're also usually still REALLY AWFUL, which makes it even more infuriating. Trying to get a higher ELO can be hard because of the kinds of people you find in ranked.

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

oh dear. this is actually the reason I quit DotA (after 4 years of playing) and went for LoL. DotA was so virulently negative (at least 85% of the games) that I found myself constantly angry whenever I played it...just not good at all for me.

Haven't played DotA 2enough to see how it is, but given how there's still no surrender vote and basic things like that...i really really doubt it could be better.