General advice(s) for mage build

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by 1MylesK, Apr 21, 2014.

1. 1MylesK

1MylesK Member

Yeah, I'm quite the guy that asks a lot of questions, I hope this is not a problem.
    Anyway, I have this question for you guys: on a mage build, what should be my biggest focus on the early levels? Yeah, I know I should avoid traps, being in melee etc... What am I asking is that I'm not sure if I should focus in having solid skills early game or having a good mana pool and mana regen. I mostly follow the general advice on having 1 support skill, 1 main damage tree and one skill tree that helpes me in the early to mid game... but I don't know what to do when I end to max that three (example: fleshsmith). I mostly pick random skills that I deem useful, but I am also scared that I will end up having mana problems and vice verse if I first focus on mana, since I will think I won't be able to kill enemies later on in the game.
    I hope I explained myself well enough and yeah... Pls halp.

2. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

Depends on your skills. You need huge mana regen for egyptian magic or warlockery. Otherwise first level of blood magic is usually enough. Low-level wizards mostly need pets, heal , escape skills and :trap_level:.

3. 1MylesK

1MylesK Member

Hmm... at the moment my current skill build is: Nerconomiconomist, Fleshsmith, Mathemagics, Astrology, Blood Magic, Magic Training and Archeology. I started with maxing Fleshsmith, then Mathemagics, giving 2 points into Blood Magic (for the lvl3 skill) and I now proceed to max Magic Training. Keep in mind that I use Essence's skill rebalance and I'm lvl 15, with 4(5 with astrology's buff) nerco resist.
    I don't know, sometimes I tend very often to find myself with half mana or whatever. Any thoughts?

4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Every build is different (funny how when I wrote that, the tune of "Every sperm is sacred" went through my mind). Each has its own needs to work well.

My go-to skill nowadays for mana is Ley Walker, with Blood Magic thrown in for those really mana-intensive builds (eg. Egyptian Magic + Astrology = great comb, but you'll be constantly thirsting for mana once you get the whole thing up and running). My rule of thumb is that if you have more than one skill that puts a constant drain on your mana, then Ley Walker is the must-have skill. IF all of your mana demand comes from damage-doing attacks, then blood magic is PROBABLY good enough (though honestly, I find that ley walker with at least a single point put into it, is often the better choice). Buffs and non-damaging attacks=Ley Walker, Damaging attacks = blood magic.

5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Any skill that includes Astrology will require Ley Walker unless you don't intend to put any points into it.

6. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

I would probably just get level 2 Fleshsmithing for healing, magic training 2 to mute magic and archeology 2 for xp and then max Necro. it's your main nuke skill so there's no reason to wait. Also it it less usefull on deeper level because of monster resists. When you get Mark of Chton you should be able to melee a bit, so it is useful to get Blood magic up to level 2 for extra melee mana. Then proceed with Fleshsmithing up to 5 for corpus burst which is a cheaper nuke to cast after you made some corpses with the rift. After that you can do whatever you want. I'd probably prefer mathemagic up to 5 and then max Astrology for the dreadful teleport + stars alligned combo which will help you on lower levels when monsters get lots of :resist_nercomatic: and hardly any :resist_righteous:.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

You can always krong your items and then cast This Translation is All Wrong! on them until you get loads of :mana_regen:. And we already have Archeology in this build.

8. 1MylesK

1MylesK Member

Yeah, as up now I thought that Miasma would be very good on the early to mid levels and I didn't level up Nerconom. since I was too afraid of the debuffs that it could cause me early game. Now I will definitly go for it, but that is my main reasoning why I didn't level it up. Oh and seems like I should first max out the main damage skill tree (or the others trees in general) and I put points in my mana trees when I feel like I am becoming more mana-hungry?
    Oh and thanks for the tips guys! :3