GameDevBundle

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Daynab, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

https://gamedevbundle.com/

Made by developers who are also reddit community members.
    Looks pretty cool, I'm buying it.

Cardinal Quest is a decent roguelike (albeit with not much depth) and its maker is really nice. Pitman seems to be some kind of boardgame roguelike so I'm curious about that.

2. Frelus

Frelus Member

As it seems, I cannot open this site...

3. Daynab

Hmmm. Same, now that you mention it. Possibly due to a traffic boost taking it down.

Give it a few hours. I got my key earlier.

4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I purchased the bundle earlier today but have not yet received my key 8-(. The website says I should wait 24 hours before contacting support. I do have a Paypal receipt though.

5. Daynab

I received it after a couple hours, but it was in my spam inbox for some reason. Check there.

6. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

I'm just getting a white screen. Which is odd because it's like, 3AM on my end, which means it's an hour or two before noon in Europe. Not exactly peak hours.

and if it was maintenance you'd think they'd at least have a line of text or something

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have been somewhat impressed that this site accepts Bitcoins. I love the concept of those immaterial things. This is the third site I have seen in the last month that accepts them as payment now.

8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

BTW, not only have I not received an e-mail with my key, I placed a ticket complaining about that and did not receive an automated response either like they claim they send. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm opening up a second ticket and giving them an alternate e-mail address to see if that works better.

/edit And yes, I did check my spam folder.

9. Daynab

From what I've read it was a rather... inexperienced team. It's legit for sure, but say for example not being able to reach their webdev when the page was down, for hours, etc.

I have no doubt you'll receive your key but it doesn't seem like their infrastructure was up to par.

10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Btw, I finally did get the keys yesterday and I'm having a lot of fun playing Pitman -- it's a very different/odd 3-D rogue-like that's worth checking out. I haven't tried out all of the games in the bundle yet, but this one made it worth my while.

The exploration mechanics are different. You move in 4 directions on a grid, and you can see the entire grid you are on, but when you get to the edge of the known grid, you can reveal the next grid over in that direction by playing a card (you start with 20 cards, and can get more from map scrolls, and I THINK from leveling). The oddness is that if you don't reveal a grid, anything on that grid can't see you (nor can you see them). It's possible that when you reveal the next grid over, that there will be a creature that is close enough to immediately attack you. It's not exactly 'realistic', but I got used to that. Another oddness is that the size of your inventory starts really small, but it increases in size as you level. The game also has a hunger mechanic and a light mechanic (but I'm not 100% sure how that works or if it's even that meaningful -- all I know is that I lit my torch when the game suggested I do so). There's also a weapon/armor condition mechanic, so your weapon or armor can break in the middle of combat. Since it takes no time to equip a new one, that only means that you'll need to carry a spare or two.

There's definitely some room for improvement -- One thing that it needs is a better potion mechanic -- most potions you will find are unidentified -- I don't mean like Rogue's 'milky' vs. 'plaid' potion -- I mean they are simply called 'potion'. What this means is that probably the best strategy is to never use an unidentified potion unless you are completely desperate, because some of them will kill you (that's how I died in my first game). Also I didn't see any record being kept of your top score, which would be nice as well.

Still, I do recommend that you give it a try -- considering that it's pay what you want, it's not a bad deal.

11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Oh, btw, I did previously own Cardinal Quest -- I'm not crazy about it, but it is a rogue-like as well.