Game randomly crashes, no error

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Lord.grae, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Lord.grae

Lord.grae Member

Hey,

Love the game so far! Unfortunately the game window simply vanishes randomly on me. No errors or anything. So far it's happened once while I was reading an item in my inventory, and again while reading the toolbelt help tooltip thing. Lose all progress when it crashes so its very frustrating.

Not sure what information would help. I've a 2.93 dual core intel processor. 3.75gb RAM, Windows XP, purchased from Steam. Run in 1600x1200.

2. casualsax

casualsax Member

Same problem! I have virtually the same specs, and was running the same resolution. My crash happened right when I picked up a potion to sell to a vendor - insta-click-crash-no-error.

3. Misery

Misery Member

The crashes are extremely random.

Until they patch it, there's only really one solution:

Turn off Permadeath for your character when you create him, and during the game, hit escape and click "Save and continue" every few minutes or so.

Fortunately, it literally takes only a second, since the game seems to save INSTANTLY, so this barely interrupts gameplay; and that's a good thing, because the game is bloody amazing, and I dont wanna have to NOT play it due to stupid bug.

I dont like having to turn the permadeath off though, really... used to it in Roguelikes. For now, till this bug is patched, I'm just gonna act as if it's on anyway; if I die, I'll delete the save, simple as that.

4. gronkat

gronkat Member

Keeps crashing on me as well. Still on level one. Seems to have something to do with item handling or item popups.
    Once it crashed when i opened a bookshelf, got a recipie and clicked on it.
    Another: item from a chest. while putting it down (still in hand)
    So far i had about 20 crashes

5. Maurog

Maurog Member

Same problem here, and the cause is unknown. Until they fix it, I will use Misery's solution and save every couple of minutes.

It's a pity... permadeath is the only way to play a roguelike.

6. Zzinged

Zzinged Member

Same problem here. I see that a patch is forthcoming. I hope that fixes it!

7. gkslash

gkslash Member

I also have this problem. It is a PITA. Tons of other people are dealing with it as well. I hope there is a fix soon. It is the only problem I have with the game, but it is a major one.

8. nofAcedAgent

nofAcedAgent Member

I am experiencing the same crash - window gone, no error. Just purchased the game, almost had level 1 cleared and crash. Really sucks. Guess I'll have to do as Misery suggested and turn off permadeath. Lost about an hour and a half of my time though, which makes me hesitant.

Had the crash twice so far. First time i was doing something in my inventory, second I was picking gold up off the ground.

Hope this gets taken care of with haste.

9. Fleabag

Fleabag Member

Well I am glad to see I am not the only one having a problem with it. Hopefully they will fix this crap soon. I can't make it more then 20 minutes into a game without it crashing. So for now I am done with this game.

10. Misery

Misery Member

Or you could just, you know, use the workaround mentioned above. Which works just fine.

Anyone doing that though, I recommend you do the saving FREQUENTLY, since the crashes are so randomized. i've been doing it, say, every 2 to 5 minutes or so. That might sound bloody annoying, but it's really just one keypress and a click, so.... for now, it's totally fine. I dont mind putting up with it to play this... this game is worth it.

11. Greg72

Greg72 Member

so far about 10-11 hours played and my roomie about 6, neither of us has had crashes or a bad save yet

12. Greg72

Greg72 Member

we're using vista 64 and win 7 64

13. Misery

Misery Member

You would think Vista would crash it even further. Odd.

I'm using basic XP with SP3, on mine.

It'd be nice if the game or Steam gave some sort of error message upon crashing, rather than just vanishing....

14. hobobeardbob

hobobeardbob Member

According to the Bugs thread, a fix is coming. I save every few minutes and turn off permadeath. It is very annoying, though.

15. Maurog

Maurog Member

Steam is downloading a 90mb patch right now, let's hope this will fix the problem.

16. kuv

kuv Member

Crashed 3 times on my first play, now the game wont even load?

17. Lord.grae

Lord.grae Member

Thanks for the workaround Misery. I'll use that. Good to hear that a fix is in the works.

18. gkslash

gkslash Member

The patch did not fix the random crashing. Very frustrating.

19. Augury

Augury Member

Despite the description of the patch on the blog saying it fixed the random crashing, I still continue to run into this problem even after patching. Hopefully there will be some way to get rid of it for good, but in the meantime I'll just continue to save frequently. This game is so much fun and I want to experience it without all the frustration that random crashing brings with it.

20. Maurog

Maurog Member

The patch did fix the random crashing for me, I just played for like an hour without a single crash. Previously it was a crash every two minutes, so yeah, a step in the right direction, devs. My system is Windows XP SP3, and I get no more crashes.