Windows Vista/7 64-bit Game completely fails to launch.

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Magepigeon, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Magepigeon

Magepigeon Member

I've put about 45 hours into this game, but several months ago I started having this problem. Whenever I launch the game, the "Preparing to launch" window pops up and disappears just fine, but the in-game launcher doesn't show up at all. My steam displays me as in-game for a few seconds, then back online. If it's the first time I've opened a game on steam since the computer turned on, the Update News will show up as if I had opened the game and closed it immediately. Before it started happening the game worked perfectly. I never installed any mods, but I have all of the expansion packs.

Just recently, I visited a friend's house, and using his computer, logged into my steam and installed the game. It worked just fine there. My last save file was intact, and I played a couple games (I died really fast). Upon returning home, though, the problem was just the same. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, uninstalled the entirety of steam and reinstalled it, verified the game cache, and pretty much everything else that gets recommended. If anyone has any idea what's going on, I will forever be in their debt.

2. Wolg

Wolg Member

Might want to take a look in the Event Viewer applications log to see if a crash message is being generated but not displayed.

(A stab in the dark guess would be that it's runtime related, as I don't think verify game cache checks the integrity of prerequisites)

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

could be a steam cloud issue. try adding "-nukesteamcloud" to your launch options.

FaxCelestis likes this.
  4. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

But make sure you remove it when you're done. Actually, make sure you don't have any special run-flags set in your launch options.

Also, try running it outside of Steam. Might be a problem with Steam and not Dredmor. C:/[path to Steam]/steamapps/common/Dungeons of Dredmor/Game.exe (I think it's game.exe. Might be dredmor.exe. Whatever. It's the one with the Swarmy for the icon.)

5. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

But back up your saves locally first

Vitellozzo likes this.
  6. Magepigeon

Magepigeon Member

-nukesteamcloud didn't cause any changes. When I attempt to run the game locally, it still doesn't turn on. The exe shows up in my processes for a moment, but disappears immediately.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

super obvious suggestion, but maybe you missed it: did you try restarting your computer?

FaxCelestis likes this.
  8. FaxCelestis

That's bizarre. You running a virus blocker or similar?

9. Magepigeon

Magepigeon Member

My computer gets turned off when I go to bed, so restarting wouldn't be a problem. I am running Avast, but disabling it seems to not change anything.

Edit: I realized that the game wasn't being ran as a an admin, and it seems to be fine again now that i've set it to do that.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    SkyMuffin likes this.
  10. FaxCelestis

Ah Windows ParanoidVista. I had that same problem for a while, then it magically cleared itself up.

11. Magepigeon

Magepigeon Member

Welp. The game runs fine now, but it seems that it isn't connecting to steam. sort of.
    The game launches and plays, but my previous saves are gone and if I check my achievements in-game, it says "Log in to Steam to check your achievements." I'm still displayed as in-game though.

Edit: Steam wasn't running as an administrator either. NOW IT'S FIXED NEVERMIND

Vitellozzo and FaxCelestis like this.