Funny Pictures. Safe For Work, and Safe For The Kids Too.

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by OmniaNigrum, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

The idea of someone being offended by the use of the word gay to mean homosexual baffles me. I don't know if there's some parts of the UK that I'm not aware of where it has explicit negative connotations when used in that context (as opposed to 'that a bit gay' which is used as much by gay people as anyone else I find), but nobody where I live or have lived has ever used the word gay to offensively describe a homosexual person, other than when they are someone who perceives homosexuality to be a bad thing in itself.

OmniNegro likes this.
  2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Now that is a viable approach.

Humans can get offended by various things. Sometimes, it is so ridiculous that we are left wondering if they forgot to take their purple pills, but there's nothing we can do except for either ignoring it or getting offended by them getting offended (which defeats the point)

OmniNegro likes this.
  3. Warlock

Warlock Member

4. Createx

Createx Member

[​IMG]

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Now I have no choice but to post this one... I was actually not going to since it could start a political argument or ten...
    America.jpg

*Edit* Please take it as a joke. I really do not want a fight about this nonsense.

6. Warlock

Warlock Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Here are some more. :)

Driving Too Fast 500x283.jpg Found 1 Froze 2 - 500x280.jpg Full Moon Again - 500x374.jpg Hands off the Transporter 258x346.jpg Hold Off Zombies 500x500.jpg

Turbo164 and OmniNegro like this.
  8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

People are offended by words for two reasons -- 1. choice and 2. history
    1. People occasionally CHOOSE to be offended when it suits their goals, when there are multiple ways for something to be interpreted (or misinterpreted) they choose the one where offense is intended due to various motives, whether they be political or ego-related, or otherwise. In this case, the offense may seem irrational, but there is actually a reason behind it.
    2. People have a HISTORY with the words, where they, or people that they care about, have been either personally, or as a group, been persecuted, belittled, insulted, attacked, or more commonly, marginalized. It is partly rational, but primarily both a personal and emotional response (being emotional rather than rational actually makes it more valid, not less, in this case).

The more cynical among us, when confronted with someone who is offended by something said, will then CHOOSE to interpret that reaction as 1, rather than 2. That does not mean that they are right.

We all have history. Most of us carry wounds that when prodded, really do hurt. Sometimes, some of those wounds we may not even be aware of, until they are prodded. I suggest giving people the benefit of the doubt when they say they are offended, because sometimes 'offended' is putting it gently. It may not always be the case. But for the purpose of getting along, it's best to grant the benefit of the doubt.

OmniNegro likes this.
  9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I can't recall the author or the story (guessing Mack Reynolds but probably am wrong), but there was this Science Fiction story about someone who invests a dollar and then has himself placed in Cryonic suspension for centuries. The story traces the history of his 1 dollar investment. I believe that at some point, his investment becomes worthless when the banks collapse, or something like that (I read it when I was a kid, can barely remember it, so I know that I may be slightly off the mark, but I do recall that that dollar investment has many ups and downs, and eventually does become worthless).

OmniNegro likes this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

He could make a nearly infinite amount of money from elderly and sick people who want to live forever. Sell them hope in cryogenics. :D

11. Warlock

Warlock Member

You forgot #3: People getting "offended" after jumping on the bandwagon with someone else, trying to make a point on the internet or in real life just to be seen as 'the guy who agreed' or 'the guy who disagreed.'

And a good maxim to remember these days; Egos are getting more fragile by the day. Some peon with no right to own a personality, much less an ego, also crops up from time to time in our daily lives. All too often, I should say.

I've always believed in the principle of live and let live for the most part, and try to stick to it as far as possible, but the world's just gone to garbage. Common sense, much less courtesy, is a nonexistent factor these days except among those of us lucky enough to be born with some brains and good sense.

A bit of ego is essential to maintain one's own self of late, but the problem is, a lot of self-entitled average joes have egos so vast it's palpable.

The benefit of the doubt aside, that's the only time I'd condone behavior like that. I've never had a problem with people who get offended over historical stuff in their/a relative or friend's past. Showing insensitivity to someone else's feelings however, is a quick and dirty route to making people mad with you.

The way I see it, the world's devolved into a bunch of monkeys on individual coconut trees throwing nuts at each other for slights real or imagined. In reality, we never did evolve any different from our chimp ancestors.

edit: if you want to continue this, let's take it to PMs before the thread gets locked. :)

OmniNegro likes this.
  12. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Essence and OmniNegro like this.
  13. Warlock

Warlock Member

back on topic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OmniNegro likes this.
  14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Except 2+2=5 is not entirely incorrect.

2+2 is equal to 3 through 4.99* (the asterisk representing 'recurring').

OmniNegro likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Are you doing mathematics in another base? Or have you been too stressed recently? :p
    (I hate mathematics. I have no idea what you are even saying.)

Vitellozzo likes this.
  16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

2 represents any value between 1.5 and 2.49* when you factor in rounding, so your range of values for 2+2 goes from 1.5+1.5 (3) to 2.49+2.49 (4.98, when you factor in the recurring digits it's pretty much 5).

To represent 2 as 2.00, you have to define it and the terminology to do so has completely escaped me (I think it's something like 2. + 2. = 4.)

Vitellozzo and OmniNegro like this.
  17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I count on my fingers! :D :D :D No rounding!

Vitellozzo likes this.
  18. Frelus

Frelus Member

I like what you can do with math.
    I like paradoxes.
    I also love ripping reality apart, laughing like a madman.
    [​IMG]

OmniNegro likes this.
  19. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

You sound like one of my company's ex clients from when I was a Programmer. In this case, the client happened to be a part of a State government which I will not name. When I talked to their programmers, everything was fine. But on the frequent occasions when I had to, instead, deal with their bureaucrats, I felt like I was entering a Wonderland where 2+2 would have to equal whatever they told you was true (I wish this were a joke, but its not).

OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I'm not sure if that's praise or a criticism ;)

OmniNegro and Vitellozzo like this.